Germany Gambles on Alternative Energy-Video

We call it regenerative energy not alternative.
Currently Germany produces 31% of its energy need from regenerative energy (33% wind 33% solar 33% bio gas). The world average is 22% regenerative energy production.
The excess is mainly not stored in electro-chemical batteries but in pumped (hydro) storage which have best bang for buck.
Who still invests money in other energy sources is a FREAK.

are you certain that germany produces that much power from wind and solar or do they just consume that much power from wind and solar but obtain it from other countries with wind farms? how effective can solar be at providing heat for buildings at night? or in deepest winter of short days.

germany had a wonderful and valuable asset that provided 30% of the electricity they used. now it has been thrown away for no purpose. safe, convenient nuclear power that had a proven record of safe and effective management just thrown away as though a crowd of greek firebrands had burned it all to smithereens.

I think I remember reading at the time that many of Germany's nuclear plants were scheduled for closure anyway due to financial or safety reasons. The closure date was then bought forward a few years as it was politically convenient.

Transmission losses in the U.S. is given as averaging approximately 6% from 1990-2012.

dnmun said:
are you certain that germany produces that much power from wind and solar or do they just consume that much power from wind and solar but obtain it from other countries with wind farms? how effective can solar be at providing heat for buildings at night? or in deepest winter of short days.

germany had a wonderful and valuable asset that provided 30% of the electricity they used. now it has been thrown away for no purpose. safe, convenient nuclear power that had a proven record of safe and effective management just thrown away as though a crowd of greek firebrands had burned it all to smithereens.

There are a lot dumber choices a country can make, like perpetual pointless war.

If shutting down the mass for energy plants spurs them into more wide-spread solar/wind/tidal/geothermal/wave etc, then be excited some country is taking a path that actually works thermodynamically. Combustion based systems are going to at best be temporary stop-gaps. Why delay the inevitable when each day of delay is at minimum poisoning perhaps all life on earth to some extent.

Making any argument for burning coal or natural gas or oil or whatever is a mute point, even if we somehow kept magically finding oil sources for another 200 year or something (at the cost of billions of deaths from cancers and poisoned water no doubt), eventually you still have to switch to some energy source that isn't barbarically short-sighted.

I don't personally have something against nuclear done right, and I think the pebble bed based intrinsic high-temperature shut down systems that have only 4 year half-lifes on hot material waste, if designed well around safety and containment, and not built in a natural-disaster-prone area it would be fine.

I think nuclear done by the lowest bidder is obviously not a good idea, but it doesn't need to be so much of a danger as it's been made by folks jumping in early to do it not-so-right.

Punx0r said:
Transmission losses in the U.S. is given as averaging approximately 6% from 1990-2012.

There is more loss than the wires and substations to make our grid.

http://cleantechnica.com/2013/08/26/us-wastes-61-86-of-its-energy/

The beauty of adding distributed grid tied EV's to sustainable energy systems, is they naturally buffer whatever solar or wind or who knows what may happen to be available that moment or night or whatever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle-to-grid

Ok, I see now the efficiency figure is based on conversion of a calorific content of the various fuels consumed by the U.S.

liveforphysics said:
Going with distributed solar arrays and grid-tied chargers with a population driving EV's could eliminate the need for a the crude ancient power grid systems we're used to today that waste something like 70% of the power generated through distribution losses.

http://cleantechnica.com/2013/08/26/us-wastes-61-86-of-its-energy/
You seem to be deliberately assimilating that the USA electrical grid system is losing 70% of its power, then post that cleantechnica URL that in detail says most of the wasted energy is in internal-combustion vehicles.
The article stats numbers are all over the place but still are better then you suggest for electrical usage.
Simon’s team now estimates that US cars, trains, planes and the like are on average 21% efficient (rather than 25%, as previously surmised) and US household energy uses like heating, cooling, and lighting are on average 65% efficient (rather than 80%).

Fact is every time I ride my PAS electric bike through some bumpy areas I am reminded of the days when riding my 250cc Yamaha dirt bike that was so much more comfortable with fat tires and super springy suspension.
Now when I am on my ebike I know that the comfort, acceleration etc of 250cc Yamaha bike is at the expense of a lot of energy, sure I could upgrade to a Stealth bomber and it would be a lot more comfortable then my current ebike but the kms/kwh would be far far less then my more energy efficient PAS ebike.

Most Americans like fat heavy energy sucking suspension cars because they are comfortable and safe. They will expect the same level of comfort in any kind of vehicle no matter what the cost of energy whether its electric or not.
I always think about the expended energy of cars when I am on my ebike and see a car accelerate past me with casual over revving fury then massively brake 50 meters a head on the red stop like thats been on the whole time. People will be doing the same in electric cars the only plus side is regenerative braking..

Frankly I wont be surprised if we start going back to nuclear power just to feed every ones cars and other comfort power sucking devices in the future which will probably be personal electric air vehicles etc..

Anyway so whats my point? I think that article and your dubiously set of words about the US grid system is misleading and I demand you be banned and your IP firewalled permanently so you can never say such words again. :roll:

Back