Grom electrification

gromike

100 W
I put motors on (almost) all my bicycles that I am going to motorfy, so now I'm going to do the same with my motorcycles.
I plan to start with my Grom, which at 120 mpg makes no economic sense to do, though being a 2014 the engine is getting a bit long in the tooth.

My plan is to use a 5000w 260 QS hub motor in a 12 inch wheel, a Sabvoton 200amp controller, and a 72v battery (capacity TBD). Will that work? I bought a used sacrificial swing arm for mounting the motor, so I won't be destroying the Grom outright. I have some general ideas on how to lock the motor on the swingarm, but appreciate any ideas on how to do it.

My benchmark is the new Kawasaki 125cc electric equivalent motorbike that was recently announced, priced at about $7000. I figure by using my Grom I might be able to assemble a better motorbike and at a lower cost.

If I'm once again standing out in left field please tell me. So far, my cost has been a used swingarm.

Last edited:
I haven't given up on my Grom electrification project. A Christmas present came to me: 1.45Kw of LFP batteries!

PXL_20231224_210814364 (1).jpg

They're (4) 36v 9.2ah modules that I bought from BatteryHookup. I plan to beef up the current paths and make the (4) 12s4p packs into a 24s8p battery. 72v and rated at 150a (maybe).

I haven't given up on my Grom electrification project. A Christmas present came to me: 1.45Kw of LFP batteries!

View attachment 344933

They're (4) 36v 9.2ah modules that I bought from BatteryHookup. I plan to beef up the current paths and make the (4) 12s4p packs into a 24s8p battery. 72v and rated at 150a (maybe).
I was eyeballing those modules too. Normally I would caution against reusing an recovered module as-is, and I still will, but at least with this item from BH, they're "guaranteeing" no dead cells. Hope they're right

Why not use one of these instead? They bolt right into your Grom mounts and have a 4 speed with clutch. They are rated at 3000 watts but have been pushed to 10-12kw with different controllers. They are basically a generic pit bike engine with the top end removed and an electric motor built in where the crankshaft was. I am looking to use one in an atv with a surron controller and battery to get a reasonable 5-6000 watts.

1704300242166.png

Interesting, I'll look into it.

Where the current engine is where I plan to put the battery, so a mid-drive instead of a hub motor would require reworking the battery design. And, I have already started to build the battery for a hub drive version of the Grom.

Why not use one of these instead? They bolt right into your Grom mounts and have a 4 speed with clutch. They are rated at 3000 watts but have been pushed to 10-12kw with different controllers. They are basically a generic pit bike engine with the top end removed and an electric motor built in where the crankshaft was. I am looking to use one in an atv with a surron controller and battery to get a reasonable 5-6000 watts.

View attachment 345444
Do you have a link showing a completed build? I am guessing they used the gear ratios from the gas bike too which makes the lower end pretty torquey and not high enough speed. Can't argue with the simplicity though, I have been wondering what took them so long to make a bolt on kit for all the various Honda clone pitbikes out there. I see the SSR bikes for sale all the time around me

Just thought I'd through in my 2 cents. There are *many* electric Grom clones out there (I've got one). Perhaps you can use a swingarm off of one of them that already has the slots for a hub motor (if you are committed to a hub motor)? I can't say if it would fit for sure but I know that many parts are interchangeable between a real Grom and a clone.

Perhaps you can use a swingarm off of one of them that already has the slots for a hub motor (if you are committed to a hub motor)?
I bought a gently used swingarm from a gasser Grom for my conversion. I'll fit the hubmotor into it providing that I can build a battery (and that's a big if). I'll order a 6kw motor and fit it to that spare swingarm after the battery is figured out. My goal is a capable eGrom. If that doesn't pan out, I'll refit the ICE, sell it and then buy an eMoto.

My project cost upper limit is $3000 with me I providing the truck for free. From what I have seen, an eMoto capable of my needs is something like $6000.

Well, I'm building a battery from four of these 36v 48 cell A123 battery packs from batteryhookup to power my eGrom project.

PXL_20231224_210814364.jpg

I found the need to cut some bus bars out of sixteenth in copper plate. I was just going to somehow saw the strips, but I found out about throatless shears. So, I had to have one of those.

PXL_20240116_051911309.jpg

Something that I knew not to do, unbox the thing and cut a strip, unbolted, on the coffee table. Remarkably, I cut a usable strip for a bus bar. Copper is so expensive nowadays!

I put motors on (almost) all my bicycles that I am going to motorfy, so now I'm going to do the same with my motorcycles.
I plan to start with my Grom, which at 120 mpg makes no economic sense to do, though being a 2014 the engine is getting a bit long in the tooth.

My plan is to use a 5000w 260 QS hub motor in a 12 inch wheel, a Sabvoton 200amp controller, and a 72v battery (capacity TBD). Will that work? I bought a used sacrificial swing arm for mounting the motor, so I won't be destroying the Grom outright. I have some general ideas on how to lock the motor on the swingarm, but appreciate any ideas on how to do it.

My benchmark is the new Kawasaki 125cc electric equivalent motorbike that was recently announced, priced at about $7000. I figure by using my Grom I might be able to assemble a better motorbike and at a lower cost.

If I'm once again standing out in left field please tell me. So far, my cost has been a used swingarm.

Lookup e-Grom. Had one .. 75 kph.

Hey, I have one of those.. Ok, it's kinda of wimpy younger cousin but yeah!

I produce various silver castings, one of the things I sell a lot of is plate and various widths of bezel, the bezel I figured an automated process out (run wire through the mill, then into a spreader chopper (like they do with candy and such) which is great, and your bezel pretty much never goes over a mill or 3, the people ordering plate from me in like 8 gauge (and even lower) make my eyes water. I seriously need to upgrade my choppa.

Never thought about bus bars... I imagine being copper they are not too terrible, but I was just whinging on about cutting silver so there ya go.

Well, I'm going to keep my Grom a gasser until the engine goes. My two-wheel time is now done almost exclusively on my ebikes. The batteries are now going into a boat conversion. Much simpler to hang a 36v trolling motor on a transom than put a motor in a motorcycle wheel.

Back