Hall sensor busted in Kuberg motor!

Hi all!
I bougt a kuberg freerider in a not so good shape, Fried 12kw controller (will pair it with my Nucular 24F) and hallsensors not working in motor. But I´m very excited to take it out for a spin.
So its a Hall sensor board with three sensors.They are marked with "A 04L"A 04L.jpg
I think this is the one, from Alegro up to 150 Celsius, Unipolar
https://sg.element14.com/allegro-microsystems/a1104lua-t/ic-hall-effect-switch-sip-3/dp/1521707?CMP=GRHB-OCTOPART

So It seems that honeywell ss41 is a popular choice here but its bipolar and from what i find the Alegro one is unipolar. Should I try to buy the original one (seems harder to get) or could I buy a more common one? Bipolar unipolar?
Where in the stator would you place a tempsensor?
Would appreciate your help :)

Simon Sweden

Attachments

• IMG_20221009_083957 crop.jpg
    IMG_20221009_083957 crop.jpg
    436.2 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_20221009_081930.jpg
    IMG_20221009_081930.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 244
  • IMG_20221008_232918.jpg
    IMG_20221008_232918.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 245
  • IMG_20221008_232850.jpg
    IMG_20221008_232850.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 244
  • IMG_20221008_232842.jpg
    IMG_20221008_232842.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 244
Berglundsimon said:
They are marked with "A 04L"A 04L.jpg
I think this is the one, from Alegro up to 150 Celsius, Unipolar
https://sg.element14.com/allegro-microsystems/a1104lua-t/ic-hall-effect-switch-sip-3/dp/1521707?CMP=GRHB-OCTOPART

So It seems that honeywell ss41 is a popular choice here but its bipolar and from what i find the Alegro one is unipolar. Should I try to buy the original one (seems harder to get) or could I buy a more common one? Bipolar unipolar?
Allegro has a few documents that explain the exact operation of different sensor types in more detail, but basically:

Unipolar means that it only senses one magnetic direction, so if the motor has magnets in it flipped in polarity consecutively (like most of them), it will only detect every other magnet passing, not every magnet passing, like a bipolar would.

Latching means that when it detects a magnet, it switches on (grounds the output) and doesn't change state until it detects a magnet again, when it turns off (lets the output float, open circuit).

So a latching unipolar will only change state every second magnet, while a latching bipolar will change state every magnet, assuming magnets that are flipped every other magnet.

But a motor that does not have magnets flipped but rather all the same polarity will not work with bipolar sensors, as they will never turn off as tehy will never detect the opposing polarity.

So...whether you can use them depends on how your motor is built. If you take a regular magnet and hold it so you can feel the pull or push of the magnets in the motor, if they all feel like they're pulling it, and you don't get alternating push/pull, bipolar sensors won't work in it.

Where in the stator would you place a tempsensor?
Right under the windings at an end-turn where there is typically some gap between them and the stator face, if you want to sense the hottest and fastest temperature peaks (the ones most likely to damage the windings). This is what most hubmotors (that I've seen inside of) with sensors do, and what many DIYers do.

If you want to sense average motor temperature, you need to place the sensor in the air itself somewhere as far away from the heat source (coils/windings/wires) as possible but where it won't get hit by the spinning rotor.

If you have room for the wires you can add multiple sensors in different places and either have separate thermal monitoring devices for them or a switch to change which one you're monitoring with the single device (or controller, etc).

Back