Have batteries, need bike motor

Bob K

10 W
stuff 001.jpgI have 139 Samsung 18650 batteries. They are 2 years old and are still at 3.8VDC, consistently
I have an old Steel Mongoose full suspension bike that I can weld on mounting tabs as needed.
I think I should buy a Cycle Satiator
charger, even though this will limit me to a 15S X 9P pack. Now that I have the power variables narrowed down,
I am asking for some suggestions for a hub motor /controller combo. ( I want to go hub motor)
My batteries are 2.5 Ah and only want to go 2 C MAX. So I have 22.5 Ah continuous and
45Ah MAX. So basically 60 V at 45 Amps max = 2700 watts max and 1350 w continuous power available.
Mac's or 9C or ??
New, used, any and all ideas are welcomed!
(I only need medium hill climbing ability here in San Diego.)
thanks!
Bob K

Though you may only have medium hills in San Deigo, I'd still recommend the Mac or similar larger gear motor. Lots of starts and stops in a city, and the gear motors shine in city riding.

48v 30 amps controller is plenty, (1500w) especially on the cheaper bikes. You don't want more than 30 mph on it.

If you really want 3000w, then you need a larger motor than a Mac or a 9c type.

Thank you for the reply.
I too , am not going for the high speeds.
I have a motorcycle for that.
I was thinking more along the lines of a low wind
48v motor and feed it 60v to get to the 30-33 mph range.
A lot of my current ideas are predicated upon the maximum
voltage of the Cyclesatiator. It seems like a good charger
( albeit pricey). Do you know of anyone who has run a Mac
10 or 12T on 60V ? I know that is pushing it a bit, but it's not extreme , is it?
Geared hub motors DO have a lot going for them, especially at this power level.
Hey, are there any other robust 60v chargers out
there that are not so pricey?
Bob K

60v vs 48v is just awkward for the controller is all. BTW, "48v" can charge to anywhere from 54.6v (13s limn) to 63v (15s limn).

The awkwardness is controllers for "48v" often have an absolute limit of 63v. "60v" likely charges to at least 72v. Most agree a Mac or other large gear motor will get more wear on the clutch and gears if you run more than 48v. I don't see much upside to running 60v if it breaks your clutch some day. No fun having to be so careful on the throttle every single time you start up.

In any case, the satiator is a "48v" charger since it's max output is 60v. Go for it, 14s will get you 58.8v fully charged.

The satiator is a very good charger, ideal for mounting directly on the bike, or using in wet conditions. The next best charger I have experienced is the 3 way switch charger from EM3ev. Very handy to have a half charge setting, and a 90% charged setting with a switch flip.

10t Mac on 14s limn or lico is pretty perky at 30 amps. And somewhere in the 30 mph ballpark. 30 is plenty, and moped class legal in California. More is just another illegal, unregistered, homemade motorcycle. Why ride one when you have a legal motorcycle? Unless it's for off road of course.

You might wanna look into those Bafang BB drives? I recently saw someone tackle that crazy steep hill in Old Town that runs by the Mormon Battalion. Plus, the BB drives inherently keep you below 60V range for Satiator duty.

Also avoid all the wheel building efforts and extra hassle when repairing flats, etc.

Thank you for all of your insights and recommendations!
( and a more affordable battery charger!)

The BB02 is nice, but I don't want to mess around with
gears. I do not have any monster hills where I
ride,( I know the hill you talked about though, Juan St.)

Reading through the forums, I have notice
a bit of a trend from big High powered hub motors
( and batteries) to smaller, lighter , systems.
That is interesting.

Some of that trend is us folks building the 6th or 10th ebike. With two or three 72v 3000w-5000w monsters in the garage, the new build might be an ultralight for riding in groups with those who pedal.

But it's true, many who try a medium weight motor like a Mac find it all they need. The only issue is durability if you push them to an extreme. Not ideal for that cargo bike that needs to haul 450 pounds up a large mountain.

Two of them would do er though.

Back to chargers, you might want to get an RC charger for use during that charging, testing, and balancing process you need to go through before assembling a pack.

Back