Helmet advice request/bugs and heat

Pvtrhm

1 µW
Hello all,

I have a Velotric ebike that I use to commute a few miles to work set to 25mph nearby St Augustine, FL. Currently running into an issue when it rains during the day where the gnats swarm on the sides of roadways on the commute home. Fair warning, next part is a bit gross. I’m consistently running into the problem where when this happens those gnats get stuck in my facial hair and escape by flying under the sunglasses I wear to keep dust and debris out of them and into my eyes. I almost got creamed by a truck the other because I couldn’t tell what direction I was skidding in slamming on the brakes blind from the bike lane. Any tips/tricks/recommendations on advice for lightweight well ventilated or actively ventilated would be highly appreciated. I’d really like to avoid that experience again in the future. The best I’ve found are similar to dirt bikes but with 100+ realfeel this past week I’m concerned they might be a bit constrictive.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Hello all,

I have a Velotric ebike that I use to commute a few miles to work set to 25mph nearby St Augustine, FL. Currently running into an issue when it rains during the day where the gnats swarm on the sides of roadways on the commute home. Fair warning, next part is a bit gross. I’m consistently running into the problem where when this happens those gnats get stuck in my facial hair and escape by flying under the sunglasses I wear to keep dust and debris out of them and into my eyes. I almost got creamed by a truck the other because I couldn’t tell what direction I was skidding in slamming on the brakes blind from the bike lane. Any tips/tricks/recommendations on advice for lightweight well ventilated or actively ventilated would be highly appreciated. I’d really like to avoid that experience again in the future. The best I’ve found are similar to dirt bikes but with 100+ realfeel this past week I’m concerned they might be a bit constrictive.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

I often wear my sunglasses, but my best eye protection is a pair of fire-fighting goggles - they are designed to keep particles out:
Search results for: 'goggles'

You may also find goggles from ski shops, and from tactical stores. Advantage if the lens is impact resistant.

Linky..
H8d93c765b89441ffb3a94f12189f4b00Z.jpg

Oh! That’s a great idea. I think I might even have some laying around in an old box. I didn’t think to go in that direction and thought I needed a full face helmet. Sorry for the silly question then, that never occurred to me. I shower after work so I could care less about the bugs but the blinding factor put the fear in me.

Yeah thank you, I sincerely didn’t consider the eye pro direction. I’m relatively new to ebikes. Dealing with bugs has never been an issue with sunglasses on a bicycle so I defaulted to experience with motorcycles. Assumed I should look for a dirtbike style helmet with powered ventilation as I already drip sweat. Passive ventilated eye pro is definitely the answer, I was silly or just heat brained for not considering it sooner.

You only leave the visor open at 70mph once in summer and then just until the first bug explodes on your cheek lip or forehead (if your lucky, mouth up the nose or in the eye if less so..)..

My ali-express special goggles and facemask kept my face bug free last summer just select no-tint if your expecting to ride at night, and also be mindful of local laws on tinted visors/goggles, its certainly an excuse for bothering anyone on 2 wheels and an I.C.E for police round here..

And the look of relief on faces when you de-mask is priceless, I'm now a fatish old bloke in a woolly hat whos only capable of posing a threat to my own health, thats not what folk see when im wearing the goggle mask tho ;) .. The face mask in addition to an empty action camera case mounted very visibly on my handlebars gets me a LOT of road respect that i never got when mask/camera-less ..

do you think a pair of prescription eyeglasses could fit under this?
Probably not with any comfort, but the style of glasses may help, thin wire frames for example

Just to be clear the above link is to a very similar and budget priced product similar to what i bought not the specific item..

I tried sunglasses under mine and yes but the arms are not well accommodated However glasses friendly goggles do exist and you may find some at the budget end of the scale? But i would look for ads that explicitly state its a feature. Safety goggles are more likely to be glasses friendly and after all function trumps form every day of the week.. And these days you dont need to wrap a scarf around your face there are neck tube things you can just pull up if you need the face protection too ;)

Sounds like you could use a pith helmet and beekeeper's veil. There's no real impact protection there, but much better likelihood of not crashing in the first place.

beekeeper-hat-and-veil-combo.jpg

You could probably attach a veil to one of the many hat-shaped bicycle helmets that are marketed to silly people.

Back