Help! MY1020D Running like a hammer drill! Sabvoton controller

Rmorg

1 µW
I am a newbie, just building my first escooter. 72v 28ah lithium battery, 60v 2500watt my1020d brushless motor, sabvoton 80a/100a controller. Having trouble when I advance the throttle by more than one step at a time, the motor starts to start making all kinds of noise, like a hammer drill. If I advance the throttle slowly and waiting for the motor to reach it's max speed for the throttle applied before further advancing I can get the motor to run smoothly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. When this happens, it causes my chain tensioner to bounce and throw off the chain. Let me know any questions! http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5f1bad09ac805/July 24, 2020 at 11_51 pm 2020-07-24 23-52-24.mp4

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

You probably have the wrong phase/hall combo setup in the wiring. If the controller has a learn function, you can try that to fix this, otherwise you'll need to find the right order of hall wires to phase wires for your specific motor/controller.

See here:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=107423&p=1572462&hilit=phase+hall+combo#p1572462
here:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=107438&p=1572801&hilit=phase+hall+combo#p1572801
or one of the various links in those threads, etc.

I'd do this without the chain on there first.

If that's not it, then you need to check your controller's setup to see if it requires motor-specific parameters, like inductance, resistance, number of poles, etc. If it's an FOC controller it may need to know those things to properly control the motor.

Another possible problem is "dirty" hall signals. Try routing the hall signal cable away from the phase wire cable and the frame.

Thank you! I used the hall connectors supplied and preinstalled with the motor and the controller and the wire colors matched up on each. Also matched colored phase wires on motor with like colors on controller.

My only other thought was if I had the motor pole pairs incorrect? I believe it is 6. I have an my1020d motor. 60v, 2500 watt, 4500rpm. Assuming over volting it to 72 nominal shouldn't matter with this?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Rmorg said:
I used the hall connectors supplied and preinstalled with the motor and the controller and the wire colors matched up on each. Also matched colored phase wires on motor with like colors on controller.
Colors are irrelevant; unless the manufacturer (not seller!) was the same for both parts and they deliberately made them match, then there's only a small chance that they will do so when hooked up to work correctly. THat's why I linked to the stuff I did.

My only other thought was if I had the motor pole pairs incorrect? I believe it is 6. I have an my1020d motor. 60v, 2500 watt, 4500rpm.

Whatever properties the controller requires knowing about the motor need to be correct for it to operate the motor correctly. If it needs any at all--but if it does, that's usually the kV (RPM/Volt) inductance, resistance, and pole pairs. You'll have to check the controller's manual or setup program to see what it requires. If any are wrong, it can't operate the motore correctly, and you could get *any* result from near normal operation to smoked motor, depending on conditions and system. If not provided by the manufacturer, you'll have to figure out any specs the controller has to know. Pole pairs is easy to find out, you just count the magnets and divide by two. kV is easy to calculate if you know what RPM the motor should spin at a particular voltage, it's literally just RPM / Volts. Inductance and resistance are harder, and require measuring them one way or another. The easy way is not cheap, as LCR meters capable of doing this for a motor's low values start in the $200 range and go up from there. Lot of money just to setup one motor. :/

Assuming over volting it to 72 nominal shouldn't matter with this?

Motors dont' "care" about voltage, except for how fast they spin when at that max voltage will be faster or slower than whatever RPM they were specified for at whatever voltage they were specified for.

If you use more voltage on the *controller* than specified, you can blow up parts on it, or simply be above it's HVC so it won't allow a motor to run.

Back