• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Help! Rear hub motor wheel not spinning

Smv

10 µW
I have a rear wheel with a hub motor and Shimano roller break that when I tighten up the axel nuts everything seizes up and doesn’t spin, without a lot of effort. When the bolts are loose things spin fine, it’s just when the axel bolts are tightened up that everything comes to a halt. Nothing sounds like it’s rubbing or anything like that, just won’t move like it feels it should.
Thanks

Sounds like a spacer or washer is missing. Look closely around axle bolts and see if there is any signs of rubbing.

There is no spacer because when I put the back wheel on it it’s already really tight. Do you think I need to force a spacer in there?

That's not uncommon for the dropouts to need a little spreading to fit the axle in. In extreme cases, guy have used a car jack to spread them permanently. For aluminum, it's best to avoid putting a permanent bend in it, but they can spread quite a bit before bending.

Here a video to show our problem
https://youtu.be/Qq0B2uBzkxI

Back