Here comes the snow in the NorthEast!

Ch00paKabrA

10 kW
In NJ we are expecting 1 to 2 feet of snow starting tomorrow afternoon. Supermarkets weere mob scenes and I noticed that there was not a single item on sale.

In October, November and December, I put flyers in my customer's bills stating that I was limiting my Snow removal to 50 customers. I had 25 so 25 to go. I just bought loads of new removal equipment. I got no not one sign up... until today. now I am at 70 and I do not know if I have bitten off more than I can chew. If we get over a foot, I will earn as much in a day as I earn in a month during the summer.

I guess I'll find out on Tuesday.

I really wish I had a fat bike; even if it wasn't electric. I have been procrastinating getting one. It would have been nice to go out in the snow and have some fun before the hard work starts.

i have more fun in the snow on my normal ebike (well if 100kmh 8" travel front/rear is normal)......

i dont know why people think they need fatbikes to ride in snow. thats like a normal fork vs a salad fork......

if anyting its a life altering experiance riding on fresh snow, just the silence of it all....... :mrgreen:

We are getting snow here in the north east of England as well.
There could be over half an inch on low ground and up to 4 inches on the high ground where I live.
Guess I ought to rush to the supermarket and get stocked up in case it lasts more than 2 days!!
When I was a kid we used to get 20 foot drifts here but rarely get more than a covering these days.

I love deep snow :D

63495_168747203164781_1000008850874.jpg

166169_168747146498120_100000885087.jpg

_50235085_crathie_snow_bbc.jpg

I had loads of fun in the snow on my Fighter this winter just gone here in Australia.
[youtube]QE4OgQbd4J8[/youtube]

Yes we do get snow in Australia...but only in the mountains normally.

Running the 3" Duro's front and rear provided ample grip on everything but the steepest sections and icy stairs...No tire, not matter how fat would do much more in those situations.

Cheers

KINNINVIEKID said:
There could be over half an inch on low ground and up to 4 inches on the high ground where I live.
Guess I ought to rush to the supermarket and get stocked up in case it lasts more than 2 days!!
When I was a kid we used to get 20 foot drifts here but rarely get more than a covering these days.]
I guess those pics were from the '63 winter ?
I remember going out with broom handles to poke down through the snow to find abandoned cars !
.. And that was down South !

Hillhater said:
KINNINVIEKID said:
When I was a kid we used to get 20 foot drifts here but rarely get more than a covering these days.]
I guess those pics were from the '63 winter ?
I remember going out with broom handles to poke down through the snow to find abandoned cars !
.. And that was down South !
Yes it was 63 & I was 5 years old

My hero, blizzard or not - this in NYC today:
r

New York Mayor Bill de Blasio said city streets would be closed indefinitely to all traffic except emergency vehicles starting at 11 p.m. ET Monday and warned New Yorkers, famous for ordering take-out meals, to step up to the challenge. "A food-delivery bicycle is not an emergency vehicle," de Blasio said.
Why not? Sounds like a fine way to get around in the snow.

Met this guy at the Bean Counter from San Antonio. On the road as NE distributor of Tequila. Flight cancelled. Quote: Fly from San Antonio, now stuck in Worcester to only make a phone call to California. :lol: :lol:

Buffalo, NY last year's storm:
ne-storms-weather-snow_88128_990x742.jpg

Such heavy storms have increased by more than 70 percent in the past six decades in the Northeast, according to the 2014 National Climate Assessment report. Called extreme precipitation, these are the top one percent of blizzards or rainstorms that pack the heftiest punch, threatening sudden floods or paralyzing snowdrifts. The trend has hit nationwide, but with less impact in drier regions such as the Southwest, which has seen only a 5 percent increase in such events.

These storms result from a paradox of global warming in which warmer air temperatures mean more moisture is stuffed into clouds. That's why when it rains—or snows—it pours harder than ever out of those overstuffed skies.

Blizzard of Nor'Easters No Surprise, Thanks to Climate Change

Cowardlyduck said:
I had loads of fun in the snow on my Fighter this winter just gone here in Australia.
[youtube]QE4OgQbd4J8[/youtube]

Yes we do get snow in Australia...but only in the mountains normally.

Running the 3" Duro's front and rear provided ample grip on everything but the steepest sections and icy stairs...No tire, not matter how fat would do much more in those situations.

Cheers

After reading this and checking out your video, I checked out 3" tires for my 29er online and took some measurements. It looks like they will fit with plenty of room. I think it would be more economical to buy another set of tires than another bike and that picture sure looks like fun.

Those stair didn't look like much fun though. You are a trooper for going for it though. Even though they are labeled as multiuse, some of the trails around here are too steep to bike so there is a considerable amount of walking. on one I managed to get a full 4 rotations of the pedals going nowhere before I finally tipped over.

One of the National parks around here has a lot of sand so the general consensus is the best riding is in January and February when it is frozen. I ordered one since they were a bit expensive so if it fits, I'll order another one. Instead of a fat bike, it will be portly bike. :D

It is tempting to see if a 26 x 3.8 will fit in the rear, I know it will fit the front since the forks are 4.25" wide but it would be a crap shoot on the rear depending on where the widest part of the rubber is.

It was a bit disappointing though. We have no where near what we were expecting. It is still snowing though. I get paid by the depth of the snow so I am still rooting for it.

NYC picture with BMX'er, aint nothing.
I rode my mountain bike worse then that in city streets.
But props and respect to all those who venture out in the cold n snow for city riding.

Ch00paKabrA said:
After reading this and checking out your video, I checked out 3" tires for my 29er online and took some measurements. It looks like they will fit with plenty of room. I think it would be more economical to buy another set of tires than another bike and that picture sure looks like fun.

Those stair didn't look like much fun though. You are a trooper for going for it though. Even though they are labeled as multiuse, some of the trails around here are too steep to bike so there is a considerable amount of walking. on one I managed to get a full 4 rotations of the pedals going nowhere before I finally tipped over.

One of the National parks around here has a lot of sand so the general consensus is the best riding is in January and February when it is frozen. I ordered one since they were a bit expensive so if it fits, I'll order another one. Instead of a fat bike, it will be portly bike. :D

It is tempting to see if a 26 x 3.8 will fit in the rear, I know it will fit the front since the forks are 4.25" wide but it would be a crap shoot on the rear depending on where the widest part of the rubber is.

It was a bit disappointing though. We have no where near what we were expecting. It is still snowing though. I get paid by the depth of the snow so I am still rooting for it.
Hey, thanks for watching the vid and the kind comments. :)
I don't think I will ever attempt that track again. There are plenty of other options in the area that are designated fire trails, or 4WD tracks that would be far easier, so will stick to them if I ever do a winter ride around there again.

If riding on ice, it doesn't matter how fat your tires are...you need spikes to do anything on ice.

What is the 3,8" tire you talk about? I've been looking for a good tire slightly larger than 3" for the rear of my Stealth for some time, but haven't yet found any. I think 3.25-3.5"" would be ideal, but could be pushing it for what might fit.

Cheers

hey cowardlyduck. the 26 x 3.8 are surly tires and there are 4 of them but only 3 have mtb tread, the other one is a cruiser tire. they are the knard 3.8 (26"), Larry 3.8 (26") and also the Nate 3.8 (26"). I believe there are 4.8 versions of them as well. Best I can tell from what I read online is that they are closer to 3.5" but It may be just a bit too wide for my bike. I bet the 3" will be perfect.

Here is the link:

http://surlybikes.com/parts/wheels/knard_26

That is for the Knard but if you scroll down, you will see the rest. I have no idea how much they cost though. The 29 X 3 that I ordered was $85 and that was the best price I could find. Most places were selling it for over $100 :shock: but if you want to play, I guess you gotta pay.

In other news, After the snow stopped, I got out there and busted my ass clearing it for my customers. I had just bought all new equipment this year and I paid for it all today plus made a bunch too so it was a good day. It is good to be in the black. Unfortunately I did not get a chance to ride either the ebike or a pedal bike. Maybe tomorrow if I am not too sore.

Cowardlyduck said:
Thanks Ch00paKabrA.

I forgot to mention...the reason I've found it so hard to find any good tires around 3.25-3.5" is my Stealth wheels need 24" tires. These are much harder to come by unfortunately.

Cheers

Before I ran the M/C rims I had 24s. there are plenty of 24 x 3.00 but not much over that. What 3" tire are you running now? The Halo Contra? I think it is either that or the duro wildlife leopard. everything else is a cruiser tire unless I missed one.

Ch00paKabrA said:
Before I ran the M/C rims I had 24s. there are plenty of 24 x 3.00 but not much over that. What 3" tire are you running now? The Halo Contra? I think it is either that or the duro wildlife leopard. everything else is a cruiser tire unless I missed one.
Yeah the Wildlife leopard are what I run. They are a softer compound so wear quite fast on the rear, but on stuff like snow, ice, mud and sand, the softer compound is welcome. :)

Yeah, you pretty much confirm what I already knew, there is nothing out there in 24" over 3" for off road. Oh well, the Leopards aren't bad...but it would have been nice.

Cheers

So in 2013 I went car-free. Then we had the winter of 2013-2014 and the polar vortex and more snow & ice than I've ever seen here. Now we have the winter of 2014-2015 and a repeat of the polar vortex and snow & ice that rivals last year. The road side banks are quite impressive. What's amazing is that I'm not fazed in the least. Went for a ride again today and excepting the crazy drivers, am alright with the snow rutted roads. Kudos for me.

We had a few inches but hopefully more to come next week.
IGNORE THE TIMESTAMP!

vlcsnap-2015-02-04-21h41m48s218_zps9a4153e3.png

vlcsnap-2015-02-04-21h42m54s109_zps7da5ceac.png

vlcsnap-2015-02-04-21h41m27s15_zpsb9f71f84.png

vlcsnap-2015-02-04-21h38m58s56_zps417725b2.png

Back