High speed pedaling: Comparing MEGA-Overdrives - BIG LIST

I made some tests riding my bike. I can confirm, above 35mph, i.e. 40mph it makes no sense to pedal any further. 35mph is a good speed for traveling anyway. I do not pass this often on my daily commute. But I'm glad to have my hammerschmidt. I drive 26" and otherwise i would not be able to pedal even at 30mph. I'm very pleased with 73.6T/11T now (which is actually 1.6 x 46T / 11T) and wont go 1.6x53T. It doesn't look good and I dont get a chain cover for it anyway :D

One can say: an overdrive of 7 is the most that really makes sense on 26"... anyway, I still pedal even at 45mph :x

crossbreak said:
I made some tests riding my bike. I can confirm, above 35mph, i.e. 40mph it makes no sense to pedal any further. 35mph is a good speed for traveling anyway. I do not pass this often on my daily commute. But I'm glad to have my hammerschmidt. I drive 26" and otherwise i would not be able to pedal even at 30mph. I'm very pleased with 73.6T/11T now (which is actually 1.6 x 46T / 11T) and wont go 1.6x53T. It doesn't look good and I dont get a chain cover for it anyway :D

One can say: an overdrive of 7 is the most that really makes sense on 26"... anyway, I still pedal even at 45mph :x
I yam confuzzled :?

How is it that you are getting 73.6T/11T (which is actually 1.6 x 46T / 11T)? Could you elaborate please.

I read that the HS Drive can get you 1:1 and 1.6 - but is it that you have a 46T as the drive ring? It's a bit new to me and I'm trying to follow how you made that work - for I certainly would like to improve my pedaling at higher speeds. Above 38 mph - I'm pretty well flogging myself trying to keep up with 53/11 on a 24".

Thanks, KF

yes I really use 46T chainwheel....with 1.6 additional overdrive that gains a virual 73.6T on the chainwheel ;)
I could go 53Tx1.6=85T virtual chain wheel size, but that does not make so much sense. I wanted to use 53T, since I thought the 11T would still eat chains with my setup, but I hope it will be fine with 46T. Using 11T with 44T or smaller is not such a good idea IMO. Even if many bikes are sold with that 11T cassettes, they are just under-dimensioned IMO

crossbreak said:
Even if many bikes are sold with that 11T cassettes, they are just under-dimensioned IMO

This is true. Even 12t sprockets wear out prematurely. They also incur a lot more friction than larger sprockets.

For electric bikes that drive the cranks, a 14t small sprocket makes much better mechanical sense, even if it requires a 60t chainring.

On my converted-hub middrive bike I drive virtual 62.8T/13T. Yet it works fine, but I rarely use the highest gear. Only push 1000W (1350W electrical) into the chain. My next drive with converted BPM will have 1500W (2050W electrical) and use a 15T as a final gear, just a 9speed 34-11 cassette with only 7speeds in use. Sadly the spread suffers :x but this is just too simple to get a reliable system this way :p

Guys - I'm still confused:

How is it that you can mount a Hammerschmidt to a 46T or 53T chainring? The options I read were 22T & 24T. Can you explain please?

Thanks, KF

Read first, then ask ;)

crossbreak said:
[...]
So sad that there is no Hammerschmidt Adapter. Just made my own with a file :mrgreen: Pics will follow...

later
-CB

EDIT: Posted the Pics in my build thread: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=50194&p=744542#p744538

file.php

Alright; I see it now. I was blinded from the fact that you made an adapter.

Not enough coffee I guess. :roll:

Thanks for obliging. Nicely done. KF

Back