High torque, low speed solution needed for driving a 1500lb tool box up a short but steep grade.

hangman18

10 µW
We are a jet sprint boat race team and we need a solution for a caddy or cart that we can attach to a 1500lb tool box. The caddy/cart would need to climb a steep grade up a ramp on a toy hauler. I would assume the grade is somewhere in the 25-30 degree angle and about 8-10' long. I contacted bikes.ca and asked about using two of the following kits. Barebones Electric Wheelbarrow Conversion Kit . They seemed to think it was nowhere strong enough to drive the cart up the ramp. Are there any hub motors with closer to a 60:1 ratio or do you have any other ideas? The caddy's top speed would only need to be about walking speed or even less. I was going to build the cart out of heavy steel but I need a drive system first. The unit will need to use a probably somewhat wide 10-15" (tall) tire so it doesn't sink in the grass which is where we pit for the races. I attached a pic of the boat we race in case anyone here is into that sort of thing. Thanks ya'll!

Attachments

• DSC_2313-Q5.jpg
    DSC_2313-Q5.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 17
Even reasonably sized dual hub motors ( RH212 ) on 12" wheels will melt in a 2-3 minutes on a 15% grade if that's what the grade angle converts to.

Your best bet is a stationary motor ( 3kw rated ) with a sprocket and an extremely massive reduction ratio.

That would definitely work. Do you know where I could source a pre-made gear reduction? I really don't have time to build one before our next race.

Last edited:
I wouldn't maybe some other members do.

I don't have a recommend for a stationary motor since i'm a hubmotor guy.

You can go on staton-inc and get a lot of the parts you need to put together reudctions based on pillow bearings, they sell all kinds of shafts and sprockets.. ther are other retailers for this stuff too.

Pillow bearings look like this to help you visualize:

1718843231945.png

Yeah that was a thought was pillow blocks, jack shafts and sprockets but I just stumbled across some 60:1 gear boxes on amazon. I also put it out there on a physics/math forum to see if anyone can help me calculate the load but no bites yet. Thank you for your help!!

My first thought was a winch - either mounted in the trailer, or on the tool chest with a robust anchor secured on the trailer floor - assuming the tool chest has wheels?

You need one of these! Thing is a beast on 24v. Go with the 48v version and it will pull it with ease. I was also going for the smallest footprint possible. If you went with 3 or 4 wheels it would be even better. *After having traction issues in soft sand I upgraded to more aggressive ATV tires from sunf as you can see in the video.

1718900929815.jpeg
1718901117957.jpeg

This 36v 800w motor + 10T sprocket would be plenty for 1500lb. If not go with two of them.

I like having the axle and sprockets so I can change the gearing/speed as needed. But this would also work if size and weight is not an issue:

Last edited:
You need one of these! Thing is a beast on 24v. Go with the 48v version and it will pull it with ease. I was also going for the smallest footprint possible. If you went with 3 or 4 wheels it would be even better. *After having traction issues in soft sand I upgraded to more aggressive ATV tires from sunf as you can see in the video.

View attachment 355097
View attachment 355098

This 36v 800w motor + 10T sprocket would be plenty for 1500lb. If not go with two of them.

I like having the axle and sprockets so I can change the gearing/speed as needed. But this would also work if size and weight is not an issue:

View attachment 355097
View attachment 355098

I like that. Where did you get the axle/sprocket setup?

I like that. Where did you get the axle/sprocket setup?
I ordered most of the parts from a couple different gokart sites. I forgot which site but go with the largest axle sprocket you can find. I think 80T is largest.

Got most my parts here:

Pillow blocks and collars I got on amazon I think.

Late to the party, but pushing 1500 lbs up a 30° slope is like lifting 750 lbs (sine of 30° is 0.5), so you need 750 lbs * 0.453 kg/lbs * 9.8 N/kg = 3,300 N tractive effort. With a 10" diameter wheel that's 420 Nm of torque. So a 60 Nm motor would need an additional 1:7 reduction, better a bit more.

Back