How Authoritarians Leaders Get Away with It

Just_Ed

10 kW
I submit this not for the hardliners (followers) here, but for those that haven't yet or won't learn about Trump ...the man.

How Authoritarians Leaders Get Away with It
The one psychological move that frees followers from doubt.

An article in Psychology Today by Jeremy E. Sherman Ph.D., MPP
Reprinted here with permission. Maybe it will provide insight into why Trump supporters are more adamant in their support for 'the man' than the party he purports to represent.

Experimental psychologist Bob Altemeyer spent his entire career studying authoritarians, both the leaders and the followers. In 1998, he wrote:

“Wanna-be tyrants in a democracy are just comical figures on soapboxes when they have no following. So the real…threat lay coiled in parts of the population itself…ready someday to catapult the next Hitler to power with their votes.”

His and other’s research yields this list of conclusions about authoritarian followers whether they follow tyrants on the left, right, religious, spiritual, whatever:

They are highly ethnocentric, highly inclined to see the world as their in-group versus everyone else. Because they are so committed to their in-group, they are very zealous in its cause.

1. They are highly fearful of a dangerous world. Their parents taught them, more than parents usually do, that the world is dangerous. They may also be genetically predisposed to experiencing stronger fear than most people do.
2. They are highly self-righteous. They believe they are the “good people” and this unlocks a lot of hostile impulses against those they consider bad.
3. They are aggressive. Given the chance to attack someone with the approval of an authority, they will lower the boom.
4. Their beliefs are a mass of contradictions. They have highly compartmentalized minds, in which opposite beliefs exist side-by-side in adjacent boxes. As a result, their thinking is full of double-standards.
5. They reason poorly. If they like the conclusion of an argument, they don’t pay much attention to whether the evidence is valid or the argument is consistent.
6. They are highly dogmatic. Because they have gotten their beliefs mainly from the authorities in their lives, rather than think things out for themselves, they have no real defense when facts or events indicate they are wrong. So they just dig in their heels and refuse to change.
7. They are very dependent on social reinforcement of their beliefs. They think they are right because almost everyone they know, almost every news broadcast they see, almost every radio commentator they listen to, tells them they are. That is, they screen out the sources that will suggest that they are wrong.
8. Because they severely limit their exposure to different people and ideas, they vastly overestimate the extent to which other people agree with them. And thinking they are “the moral majority” supports their attacks on the “evil minorities” they see in the country.
9. They are easily duped by manipulators who pretend to espouse their causes when all the con-artists really want is personal gain.
10. They are largely blind to themselves. They have little self-understanding and insight into why they think and do what they do.

If you have read this far, I applaud you. Anyone that can get past the hype, and see's the fine print in things, can readily see how accurate the author's conclusions are.

Our nation is being ripped apart from within.[/b] It is difficult to witness the downward turn the American society has taken in the last four years. It is difficult to find a reason for how one individual can cause so much turmoil. But the current mood of America falls directly on two such individuals. Derek Chauvin and Donald J Trump. Derek Chauvin's decision to murder George Floyd in full view of the world, thus causing protests and rioting lasting weeks. Donald J Trump four year assault on American democracy.

Dauntless said:
Just_Ed said:
Derek Chauvin's decision to murder George Floyd in full view of the world. . . .

Now why do you even bother to say he "Decided?"

I didn't write that...just posted the article.

I've changed the highlight so there won't be any other misunderstanding of what (I) wrote.
Full transparency, I wrote in the 'calm blue color'.

1. They are highly fearful of a dangerous world. Their parents taught them, more than parents usually do, that the world is dangerous. They may also be genetically predisposed to experiencing stronger fear than most people do.

Like your posts.

2. They are highly self-righteous. They believe they are the “good people” and this unlocks a lot of hostile impulses against those they consider bad.

Still on topic.

3. They are aggressive. Given the chance to attack someone with the approval of an authority, they will lower the boom.

So far, not just you but all your flying monkeys. You guys will be high 5ing each others behaviors on this whole list. Especially the reasoning poorly part. As in it's okay when YOUR SIDE does it. Good thing you're giving each other the social reinforcement that list talks about.

What a coincidence that you favor the dogmatic Bernie Sanders, so inflexible they report how his speeches have grown or much changed in the 40 years he's been making them. Hillary Clinton, speaking from her legendary echo chamber about baskets of deplorables showing their failings in not supporting her. Joe Biden, oh so blind to himself he can't figure out his speeches are creepy, demeaning, just what the people adhering to this list want. But you'd know that better than I.

Yeah, you've posted a great manifesto for the flying monkeys of this board.

200120_a23327.jpg

"Mom, Dad, this is Jason,the pickpocket I was telling you about."

What delightful discussions. If I only had a brain, if I only had a heart, I could see myself understanding all this monkey business.
This is the wrong fiction.
Alice down the rabbit hole. That's right from Jared Kushner.
Use the proper information from the proper sources Dauntless.
Mad hatter, dare I say hater, The walrus, the red queen. Twiddle dum and twiddle dee.the Cheshire cat.
We are definitely not in Kansas anymore.

unklegrumpknee said:
'Use the proper information from the proper sources' Dauntless.

That would be a long name, no matter how accurate. Just use Dauntless. That it's proper information from the proper sources is accepted without you pointing it out.

But I can't find the line in the Bill of Rights about the taking someone prisoner because the mob wants to rule. I do find plenty in the Bill of Rights that speaks against it.

Does this mean you're feeling doubts about his conviction? There's been some shaky moments but I'd say largely the prosecution should be feeling confident.

Dauntless said:
And the press will lie about them rioting and try to pretend they weren't. The MOSTLY PEACEFUL slaughter of the innocents.

And corporate media won't mention or cover the significant % using it as an excuse to loot.

Voltron said:
Yeah, they sure do love their rioting and burning stuff...

Are you any different about your own mostly peacefuls?

How about them 'Kill Bill' riots? Attacking the cops wearing riot gear and shields of their own. Hurting people and burning things in support of---well, in support of hurting people and burning things. Trying to prevent a law from preventing hurting people and burning things. Your king of mostly peaceful, eh?

[youtube]oml8vkiQ4co[/youtube]

Voltron said:
John in CR said:
No matter what the decision they're going to riot and burn stuff.

Yeah, they sure do love their rioting and burning stuff...

Welcome back Voltron. I hope you're feeling better. You gotta get caught up though, because using old worn out clips to support whatever point you're trying to make, or is going back as far as Rodney King fair game so we can compare all idiots who riot, burn and loot. One big difference you need to explain is how elected officials from your side right up to the very top support your side's rioting.

ps- If I push too hard and start triggering your anger issues, please let me know, because I really don't want to cause you distress.

As always, I feel great, so nothing to feel better from, but thanks for pretending like you care.
And I've been here the whole time, it's just that lately most of the OT posts here by the few that still start them have seemed like such low grade grousing and rabble rousing it hasn't been worth commenting on.
But it seemed worth pointing out that when people talk about "them" doing things, there is usually plenty being done bad to innocent people by all kinds of different "them"s, and only fair to point it out.
I don't really have a side, so no one is excusing rioting where I'm at. I do seem to remember how it wasn't some elected official, but shamefully one of our own members here writing about how "otherwise normal people were getting worked up into a justifiable frenzy" and " needed to take back what was stolen from them" by violence if the last election didn't go their way.

Is that excusing rioting?

John in CR said:
ps- If I push too hard and start triggering your anger issues, please let me know, because I really don't want to cause you distress.

Yeah, we always can count on you to be the ultimate menace.

Voltron said:
. . . .thanks for pretending like you care.

Well, John, looks like you need to shuffle your feet and say 'Awwww shucks. . . .'

Voltron said:
It's just not true.

Yeah, just like it wasn't true that there were riots and violence, at least when it was Left Wingers. Just let those nonleftie extremists do less and it's trigger time.

So here's this guy. I don't disagree with what he's saying about the media making things worse with their coverage. Though I'm thinking he interrupted CNN during a rare moment of mere soft pedaling the truth rather than outright lying. I'd say his real intention is muddled. On the one hand he says they shouldn't be going right where they know they can cause the most trouble. True enough, but of course they want the most trouble. But he also sounds like he's saying they make it sound WORSE than it is. I'd say it's actually worse than she's saying, even if I didn't hear her say 'Mostly Peaceful.'

But making a case against people who do little while ignoring those who do a LOT is supporting the side doing the worst things.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2021/04/13/sara-sidner-brooklyn-center-minnesota-daunte-wright-protester-confrontation-live-vpx.cnn

Voltron said:
As always, I feel great, so nothing to feel better from, but thanks for pretending like you care.

Ah ok, so you were the one pretending...announcing to the world in a public forum that you have anger issues seems to be a totally logical thing to pretend. What would I know, since I haven't played pretend anything for over half a century.

Voltron said:
...I don't really have a side
LOL ! Wokeness is definitely a side, and definitely the wrong side as history will prove.

Voltron said:
...so no one is excusing rioting where I'm at...
That is way past tactical stupidity.

Voltron said:
I do seem to remember how it wasn't some elected official, but shamefully one of our own members here writing about how "otherwise normal people were getting worked up into a justifiable frenzy"...

Is that excusing rioting?
I don't know. You tell me what you're excusing, since you quoted yourself for the 2nd time now from your original post on Jan 9th. I can't think of anyone who lost an argument point in that manner before...Quite funny, thanks for the laugh.

That's your words John from before the election about what you saw as some people's upcoming "justifiable" frenzy of violence... Are you playing pretend again that you don't write that, or yet again trying to hide from actual things you've written here after the fact?

And I wrote that I USED to have anger issues, that have been resolved by how great my life and my kids turned out. I wrote that in a public forum, but I'm definitely not grandiose enough to think it was for the world to read, just some fellow like minded electric transportation folks, here on our tiny forum.

And is still true. I showed some of truth of my life as an attempt to reduce the ad hominem attacks here on our beloved ES, instead of forcing the moderators to have to do it thru other means, to try to get people to remember that we're all regular humans on here, and that the dehumanizing of other members to push some ideological agenda should maybe be done elsewhere, as there's plenty of other internet dedicated to that.
And it seemed like it helped, mostly.

And I woke up this morning, so I am on the woke side right now, until I fall asleep again.

Or were you writing about some other kind of being awake?

Voltron said:
That's your words John from before the election about what you saw as some people's upcoming "justifiable" frenzy of violence... Are you playing pretend again that you don't write that, or yet again trying to hide from actual things you've written here after the fact?

I searched for what YOU quoted and only YOUR POSTS came up. " " means quoting exact words, so don't twist words and then put them in quotes. You're an absolute LIAR for even insinuating that I advocated violence.

How about you try something new? State your position, and then back it up with common sense logical arguments.

How can others take your words seriously when you don't even remember what you wrote a short time earlier?
-----

"John in CR 100 GW
Re: Donald Trump is the Most Spectacular Presidential Candidate
Nov 29 2020 11:03am

This is a good example of what goes on with the Left. They take what they themselves do and say the other side is doing it, as well as take what the fringe far right says and apply it to all conservatives and that we're all complicit. It's the Left that's gone insane and conservatives have had our fill, and that makes it easy for virtually anyone to whip otherwise normal people into a frenzy."
---

And then during, and after, the violence at the Capitol, you tried to deflect the blame for it all onto others, and minimized the responsibility of the Trump supporters engaged in the violence.

Do I need to quote that also to help you remember?

-----

You also wrote this, which I find confusing from a guy who spends so much time going on about what side other people are on. Aren't you doing the same thing you claim "They" are doing again?

"One thing that I can absolutely guarantee is that They (the government which thinks we have rights by their consent instead of vice versa) have done everything They can to divide the People (Us in the collective) by lying and misleading Us to create 2 sides to make us believe that the us vs them is left vs right or Dems vs Repubs or liberals vs conservatives."

P.S. the search feature on here can be a little tough for some, but well worth learning to use properly 👍

Back