How much power is too much power? (hub motor)

If I had a little more power it would probably be perfect. If it was breaking parts that would probably be too much until I had to make it stronger. As it is right now it tops out at 80mph... I’m good on the top end but I could use some more phase amps

Attachments

• FDDEA655-197B-49D6-B540-D1D467FD5E87.jpeg
    FDDEA655-197B-49D6-B540-D1D467FD5E87.jpeg
    77.9 KB · Views: 765
Yep. Too much power for some bike, or some rider. Even then, a bike always can be improved, and a rider getting better. IMO, that is the purpose of building, and riding.

I had a goal to build a 40 hp bike using only bicycle components. I don’t know if I will ever make it, but I am now at 25 kw sub 100 lbs and the bike would like more. The fact is, it is getting harder and more expansive with every bit of extra power. So I am stucked there for now. The bike I am building now will have less power, only I had to build something to clear some of the components that are crowding my shop.

Tony01 said:
If I had a little more power it would probably be perfect.

So whats it got? Srry i have to know. Nice, nice bike. Clean, neat, comfy looking, but still with that racer stance. nice. Plus pedals, so very cool.

MadRhino said:
I had a goal to build a 40 hp bike using only

400A @ 72v doesn't seem unachievable. You are close, no? Whats holding ya back? Anything in particular?

DogDipstick said:
400A @ 72v doesn't seem unachievable. You are close, no? Whats holding ya back? Anything in particular?

Weight and handling

I could, but it wouldn’t meet my requirements. I have built many, but many are gone because they were collecting dust in the garage. I always ride the 2 best, street and dirt. When a build can’t become one of them, I get tired seeing it in the shop.

If the crank is a fraud on a fast ebike, then the motor is a fraud on a 25 mph ebike. :D

Balmorhea said:
So are the pedals a joke, or a fraud?
Neither. They work great. I like to go really slow on it too. In fact most of the time I’m under 40mph. But once in a while, around midnight, when the roads are totally empty...

DogDipstick said:
So whats it got? Srry i have to know. Nice, nice bike. Clean, neat, comfy looking, but still with that racer stance. nice. Plus pedals, so very cool.
Hey, thanks!! Qs205, asi bac4000, 20s1p 60ah, 23kwh 430a phase... yes it is very comfy and a great 35mph cruiser. It is built on a 1980 schwinn cruiser frame.

I'll never get why people need it to be one or the other.... Instead of a beautiful blend of human power when desired but also higher speed than a human could ever achieve unaided, all in a quiet, neighbor friendly, zero emission package.

That's the best looking Schwinn cruiser I've ever seen btw 👍

Voltron said:
I'll never get why people need it to be one or the other.... Instead of a beautiful blend of human power when desired but also higher speed than a human could ever achieve unaided, all in a quiet, neighbor friendly, zero emission package.

When you’re going 40mph (or 80mph) on a bike that you’d struggle to pedal maybe 15mph in a sprint effort, that’s not a blend of anything. It’s pedals added to a motorcycle to make it seem like something it simply isn’t. The reason electric bicycles are usually limited to 20mph is that humanly attainable speed is part of what makes them bicycles. Trying to pass a motorcycle off as an electric bicycle is dishonest and doesn’t do anybody any good.

What makes you think he's trying to pass anything off as anything else?
And I also have a heavy, single speed with direct drive motor, and I can still pedal it as fast as most friends on bikes I run into are pedaling... I've even had them remark on how good it seems to pull away from red lights compared to their pedal bike.. And then explain to them that I don't even have the power on yet...
As far as why the 20 limit, it's a good common sense speed for areas that already have a well developed bike infrastructure that's high density like Europe, where you don't want people blasting thru normal speed bikes. If everyone had the sense to slow down and ride responsibly around others, you wouldn't need a regulation like that.

And for what it's worth, I think calling someone proud to share their bike in a friendly post "dishonest" and of being someone who "doesn't do anybody any good"
and "a fraud" seems pretty insulting and judgmental. That's how people get driven away from ES, and I watched you and some other naysayer do that before in another guy's post where you both dogpiled him with your disapproval and he flat out wrote wow, I didn't expect it to be so hostile here.. I'm out. And he was... Never saw him post again.

Balmorhea said:
... humanly attainable speed

I have done 50 mph on a DH bike that had no motor. So, when I ride 50 mph on my ebike I am at ‘humanely attainable speed’, if some lesson teaching parrot would care.

It’s been the same song for a decade on ES. There should be a section of the forum discussing only granny ebikes and disability vehicles.

It’s pedals added to a motorcycle to make it seem like something it simply isn’t. The reason electric bicycles are usually limited to 20mph is that humanly attainable speed is part of what makes them bicycles. Trying to pass a motorcycle off as an electric bicycle is dishonest and doesn’t do anybody any good.

The 20mph is a legal requirement right, thats why they are restricted to that. In some cases, yes pedals added to a "motorcycle", class them as Enduro ebikes right. I would say I ride near about 20mph, its a comfortable speed to ride, can safely ride it, thats why I like that speed. But I do like having the power to get up hills and not have to put my drink down to do it.

It's a requirement in some places... Other places are lower like Europe, or require special equipment for legal higher speed like left side mirror and rear plate holder, others are a patchwork like the USA, in my state (CA) it's 28mph, and in big chunks of the world there's no limit, because they have better things to do.

MadRhino said:
Balmorhea said:
... humanly attainable speed
I have done 50 mph on a DH bike that had no motor. So, when I ride 50 mph on my ebike I am at ‘humanely attainable speed’, if some lesson teaching parrot would care.

Gravity can carry a pedal bike, a legal e-bike, or a shopping cart to that speed. But calling it human power is flattering yourself.

Let put this in perspective. An average sized person on an average sized bike, in an aero tuck, can reach 80 mph with 10kW of power at the wheel. That's 20 times the power that an average sized, average fitness person can pedal for a minute's duration.

Thing is, there are already rules covering motorcycles and mopeds, that have been in place for many decades at least. If that's what you have, those are the rules that apply to you. Putting pedals on a motorcycle and pretending that electric bicycle rules apply to it is dishonest; there's no way around it.

We are not putting pedals on motorcycles, we are putting motors on pedal bikes. ES is not a forum about the law in your neighborhood. It is not about the law at all. It is about development of electric vehicles, in the whole world. Each of us is responsible for himself and dealing with the law where he is riding. And, get over it, development is always pushing the limits further, and you won’t stall it with your legal complaints. Your only hope of satisfaction is to disguise in a blue outfit and distribute speeding tickets for halloween.

MadRhino said:
Your only hope of satisfaction is to disguise in a blue outfit and distribute speeding tickets for halloween.

LOL, MadRhino I laughed so hard my abs cramped up!!

Voltron said:
That's the best looking Schwinn cruiser I've ever seen btw 👍
Thank you!!

Back