• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

How much would a 700amp kelly draw on the battery side?

applesawce

1 mW
Hi I am in the process of building an electric dual-sport motorcycle. You can go over to the motorcycle section to check out my build thread. I am just trying to determine the wire size i should buy. So I have a KHB72701 controller which will be running at full power, 700amps. To people with kelly controller knowledge, how many amps do you think the controller would draw at max power? I know I can set how much I want the controller to draw, but i can't connect it to the computer because I don't have the battery built yet. Thanks!

Run #0000.

Also, if this is to power the ME0913 motor... welcome to melting and de-maging world.

Ok cool I will do that when I hook it up to my computer thanks! Don't worry i will be making sure that won't happen :p

How many amps does #0000 run on the battery side though? What wire gauge would you recommend for it?

Check it out I'm going to look at this today: http://nanaimo.en.craigslist.ca/mcy/2613756291.html

I think Luke was recommending you run #4/0 (AWG #0000) cable. So called "four ought", about 0.460 in or 11.7 mm wire diameter IIRC. Quite a cable! Welding cable comes in this size and is reasonably flexible.

If the question is solely based on wire gauge 'required', just run the biggest stuff you can and forget about it.

#4/0 is the way to go on any high current application. Hell, the question here should be can you fit TWO of those on the terminals?

Ohhh duh! I thought that was a program number for running the kelly controller. Thank you!

Back