How would you write ideal ebike regulations

greenspark

100 W
I began a post asking about the accumulated loss of power (Watts) from the motor display to what actually is happening on the road. In my most recent reply, I realised I was moving to another subject, thus thought it better to start a new thread.

Essentially, we are in the Model T era of ebikes. The regulations in some countries are thin, the police do not know how to enforce the rules, and generally one of two things happens. Either the police do nothing until there is a crash, whereupon the prosecutor decides what the rule means, and the hapless bike rider may discover they are an unwitting criminal, or a particular policeman decides to get tough (usually because of some punk kids [i.e. immature aggressive persons] who discover motors and ruin it for everyone) whereupon perfectly harmless ebike owners get caught up in a dragnet, and in worse case, the local politicians stage a public crushing where they use a 20 ton roller to crush a few confiscated ebikes, including your $5,000 custom titanium bike that happened to test 3W over the limit.

Good leadership will not come from the industry, nor from bureaucrats. It will come from the most knowledgeable group, which happens to be us, the members of this forum. So here is the challenge. If you were to write rules that were clear, easy to measure, easy to enforce and really did hit the sweet spot between safe and dangerous, what would they say? It also would be very important to maintain the freedom we have now. No registration, no inspections, no licenses, no insurance, no obnoxious rules, and for safety a commitment that road builders make the roads safe (like in Europe), not vilify the bike rider because of bad road design.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_bicycle_laws for the mess we have now.

How should the rules read?

After trying twelve different motors, I can tell you what the sweet spot is for my country, my conditions and using my style of bikes but even then I am challenged to put that into regulatory words.

The Bafang Midmount BBS01 hits the sweet spot. They sent us 23 motors, and one of them was the oddball (it was one sent to replace a warranted hub motor, hence they took the liberty to send me a slightly different configuration). Supposedly, it was set at the factory for 300W to be legal in our country. But it also gave me enough information to wonder... it is a 300W motor that displayed actual wattage, which I will explain below. But first, let's look at the law (in my country) as written now.

It is simple, defining vehicles where the ebike is a class AB vehicle:

AA (Pedal cycle) A vehicle designed to be propelled through a mechanism solely by human power.
AB (Power-assisted pedal cycle) A pedal cycle to which is attached one or more auxiliary propulsion motors having a combined maximum power output not exceeding 300 watts.

So what does maximum power output mean? And is 300W the right number? If I were to tweak the rule, I would say, continuous rated power not exceeding 350 watts as set by the manufacturer, noting that this still may be too vague.

First, no motor maker offers a 300W, it's either 250W or 350W. And this rating varies by maker. The Cute100F we first tested was a 350W that was gutless. CellMan's MAC 350 was a completely different beast.

In fact, as we all know, it's not the motor rating, it's the controller that decides how many watts will be consumed to move the motor. The motor can handle a lot more, where it is the beefiness of the design that determines how much for how long before things start to melt.

Obviously, the easiest would be to say a class AB cycle cannot have a motor larger than say 350W as printed on the side of the motor, and in the specifications provided by the manufacturer, but this would then need to be qualified as to controller settings. And those controller settings would need to have on-road and off-road variables, because riding safely on the streets may require 350W, but hill-climbing off road may require more.

With the special BBS01, instead of the standard C961 display that showed the speed, it came with a C695 display that also shows actually wattage, although I do not know where it reads that. Using the pedalec going up our 15 degree test hill, in "full" mode, setting 3, the display would show about 300W, which felt a bit gutless. Yes it got me up in first gear, but it seemed a bit underpowered. If the goal is to get up the hill without releasing too much lactic acid into the leg muscles, it was barely at the threshold (I will do a digression on that subject next). However, when I pressed the Thumb Throttle (TT), the power meter doubled. It sure did not feel like double the power, but it was just enough to make the uphill more comfortable. On the flat, I found pressing the TT still put it up in the 600's and I was getting some fairly strong speed out of it... up to the low 30's although there were enough variables in slope and curves to not be a good test. I need to find a flat road on a windless day. But it seemed to me that for hills, the rules should allow 650W with the rider adding reasonable pedal (I reckon about the same pedalling as riding on the flat), but once on the flat, well under 300 is fine.

Digression: Purists say that ebikes give less exercise. This is arguable. Somewhere I came across a stat showing the difference in annual mileage between a pedal bike and an ebike. The ebike was used to go far longer distances... about 1,200 miles a year as I recall. I can say that when we got into ebiking, I pulled out a Gary Fisher hardtail from the garage that I bought new in 1996 that probably had ten miles on it, but plenty of corrosion from sitting in the garage. As soon as I put a motor on it, its mileage jumped, as I began to use it every time I went into the village, or over to town on the ferry (bikes ride free). Part of the reason was that I was able to arrive at meetings dressed in normal street clothes and look sharp. No soaked t-shirt or wet patches under my arms. My legs got warm, but no lactic acid build up. Thus, the ebike standard should be to assist pedalling, so the rider gets good exercise, but not such difficult exercise that they need a shower or special clothes. The exercise value will come in distance ridden. I should also note that the Gary Fisher, on which I installed a CellMan Mac 500W and 50V A123 battery was too fast. It would get up to 53KPH (33 mph) at the press of the TT, and on our winding test road, I felt it would be easy to lose control and crash, whereas I was happy at faster speeds in my car or my motor bike. Its torque while waiting at stop lights was enough to do a wheelstand with little effort. Clearly, a bike like this in the hands of an ordinary rider on normal streets would not be safe. It should have disk brakes, DOT tyres, better road handling, a keyed on-off and a motorbike helmet designed for 50kph crashes. In contrast, the "300W" BBS01 with a Cellman 36V (41V) battery showing a reading of about 600W with TT on a standard 3-speed European steel bike with caliper brakes, upright bars, 700C/38 tyres feels perfectly comfortable, indeed a joy to ride and safe.

The rules should accomplish the following:

• Enable a rider to go up a hill at no less than 18 kph (11 mph) but no more than 32 kph (20 mph)
  • Assist a rider at speeds up to 32 kph on level ground, but not result in an infringement if the bike is going faster under pedal power alone
  • Perhaps have different standards depending on bike equipment. The faster the speed, the more need for better brakes, bettery tyres, etc.
  • Differentiate between safe riding and unsafe riding. In effect, give the police the ability to spot and prosecute the abusers without limiting the safe riders
  • Perhaps have specific requirements for unsafe roads, such as a 1 meter wide plastic stick on the back of the rack that signals to drivers to keep their distance

The rules should not
  • Be "gotcha" rules that are hard to work out in advance. Buyers of gear should be able to buy a configuration knowing it is legal
  • Be expensive or complicated. No registration, insurance, licencing, inspections, taxes (other than sales tax) etc.

As a side note, we also need to reform some of the other rules related to all cycling.

The required helmet rule in some places is a good example. The bicycle helmet industry has effectively used fear to sell their helmets through regulation. This is business 101. For example, if you want to sell more refrigerators, require that a Federal Home Mortgage for a new home requires a fridge in the home. This may be smart business, but it also is a corruption of the legislative process (but so common we hardly notice).

In fact, I read that a bicycle helmet is designed only to provide protection for a slow-speed (under 20 kph/12 mph) crash which usually means the bike rider fell off the bike. Go to Europe, and you will see children wearing helmets, but not adults. Why? Because children fall off bikes. They are learning. Adults know how to ride bikes, and bikes are safe. Crashes between bikes and cars/trucks/busses will see the helmet instantly torn off and the rider killed or maimed regardless of the helmet. To protect riders from such dangers they need full body armor which is absurd. In Europe, they solve this by separating bikes and cars into separate lanes and now I read that 1 in 5 Europeans get around on bikes. Thus, as part of the job of coming up with regulations, we need to specify when a helmet actually becomes important, and what sort of helmet it should be... noting that the industry can be expected to grow sufficiently thanks to motor assist that it will require a proper set of specifications. We probably need a better "Class AB" rule for ebikes that require no further rules, and a "Class AC" rule for over 350W ebikes that specifies additional safety equipment (but again, no license, inspection, etc). So feel free to write both.

The objective here is to keep it simple. It's one thing to buy a bike that is properly set up; it's quite off-putting if then we have to don a uniform, keep up with the paperwork and pay money to various regulators, registrars, insurers and inspectors.

Let me ask that people more knowledgeable than me join in. I imagine a collaboration between those with engineering expertise and those with legal and enforcement expertise. The ideal would be to get a single global standard, or at least a global standard except Europe, which is too lost in the EU bureaucracy (unless they lighten up on their absurd numbers that are too low, and allow TT for rapid starts in what otherwise may be unsafe conditions). And as we write these drafts, remember that technology is moving at a rapid pace. Perhaps the rules could be programmable, meaning controller settings, so one can have a very strong motor, capable of 2,000 watts, with sophisticated settings that measure hill angle, total resistance (output, chain, gear, tyre, wind, temperature, etc) where the micro-computer then outputs the precise legal power. If such a rule were written, you can bet that the manufacturers would respond and offer certified complying controllers.

Note that I am asking for a serious exercise here with a realistic result. I live in a small country that punches above its weight. That means if a few of us go to the central government with better language, we will definitely get a meeting with the people who actually draft the language, probably can bring a sample ebike so they understand it, and if we do our homework stand a good chance of getting the rule changed. Then, once it has been adopted, other members of this forum can use it to press for a universal standard. To quote a line attributed to M. Mead "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."

So with that long introduction... how would you write a regulation for ebikes that was fair, universal and adoptable? Please do this in a form where you begin with the actual regulation in bold, and then give your thoughts. In this way we will keep our eye focused on the goal.

All legislation should be based on metrics easily measured by LE, for example, speed and acceleration. Let LE use stopwatches and weight estimates if they suspect someone is causing problems due to excessive power.

Anyone willing to get out on two wheels is someone who doesn't need to be protected from themselves by a nanny state.

Unregistered bikes must be able to do no less than 20km/h unassisted on a 5% grade and no more than 40km/h unassisted on a 5% grade. Wattage is irrelevant.

Registered bikes (new class of registration in most places) these are properly engineered bikes that must pass inspection or have certification from the manufacturer.... speeds of up to 60km/h unassited. Wattage is irrelevant.

gogo said:
All legislation should be based on metrics easily measured by LE, for example, speed and acceleration. Let LE use stopwatches and weight estimates if they suspect someone is causing problems due to excessive power.

Anyone willing to get out on two wheels is someone who doesn't need to be protected from themselves by a nanny state.

Could you write a rule based on this (and define LE)?

Willow said:
Unregistered bikes must be able to do no less than 20km/h unassisted on a 5% grade and no more than 40km/h unassisted on a 5% grade. Wattage is irrelevant.

Registered bikes (new class of registration in most places) these are properly engineered bikes that must pass inspection or have certification from the manufacturer.... speeds of up to 60km/h unassited. Wattage is irrelevant.

Do you mean unassisted by human power, that the motor has the power of a moped driving 20-40 kph up a 5 degree hill? That may not fly with the concept that it is supposed to be pedal assist. It also fails to address the power that can drive a bike to 50kph on the flat. Remember, we need to get it approved, and after approved that it is not revoked because of a body count.

No regulation.

An ebike that weighs less than 60lbs with a top speed of less than 30mph is legally a bicycle. An ebike that weighs more than 60lbs and/or a top speed greater than 30mph is legally a moped/motorcycle.

Like I said in the other thread. Don't confuse power from the battery with motor output power. Your meter shows power from the battery.

100volts+ said:
I think the law should read like the Outback commercial.~ "No rules. Just right"
One of the choices in life is to live in a third world country where you can do what you want, or a first world country where they make laws, and people get prosecuted and sued. In first world countries "should" is not useful. We can expect the rules to get tighter as ebikes become more mainstream, so I am looking to this forum for useful language that we can put forward.

deffx said:
Basing the law on power output is unrealistic IMO.
Ice Vehicles come in all horse powers but have to comply to a speed limit. So it should be for ebike. I guess 32kph or 20mph would be responsible for a government to pass and probably an age limit 16?
Can you cite reasons why it is unrealistic? The more ammo, the better

greenspark said:
gogo said:

Could you write a rule based on this (and define LE)?
LE = Law Enforcement, short for LEO, Law Enforcement Officer.

I like our Iowa law:
"Bicycle" means either of the following: (1) A device having two wheels and having at least one
saddle or seat for the use of a rider, which is propelled by human power. (2) A device having two
or three wheels with fully operable pedals and an electric motor of less than 750 watts (one
horsepower), whose maximum speed on a paved level surface, when powered solely by such a
motor while ridden, is less than 20 miles per hour.
It gets windy in Iowa and pedalists can make their roadbikes go 50 MPH when they have a 30 MPH tailwind. Its just not practical to try to limit speeds. Let LE use their knowledge of physics to figure out if you're using more than 1 HP.

The place I'd start is to question why any regulation is needed at all. I understand that heavy motor vehicles can be deadly weapons, and that is a basis for regulation, but how much does that carry over to bicycles, or ebikes?

greenspark said:
One of the choices in life is to live in a third world country where you can do what you want, or a first world country where they make laws, and people get prosecuted and sued. In first world countries "should" is not useful. We can expect the rules to get tighter as ebikes become more mainstream, so I am looking to this forum for useful language that we can put forward.
Too many laws, litigation, and lawyers is what brings down civilizations. Questioning authority is appropriate.

greenspark said:
deffx said:
Basing the law on power output is unrealistic IMO.
Ice Vehicles come in all horse powers but have to comply to a speed limit. So it should be for ebike. I guess 32kph or 20mph would be responsible for a government to pass and probably an age limit 16?
Can you cite reasons why it is unrealistic? The more ammo, the better

Well a 140 kilo guy on a hub motor yuba mondo Carrying his tools or groceries is going to require more power than the 60 kilo guy on the Feather weight mid drive to achieve the same results.

I believe the american laws are pretty reasonable 750watts continuous, especially in Australia as our roads suburbs and distances are more like the US than Europe

Sorry on phone at work a bit hard to type much arguments

An ebike is a bicycle, the laws that govern bicycle should govern ebikes too. Limiting the wattage of an ebike is as stupid as limiting the horsepower in a car. Larger loads need more power. It's discriminatory to limit a 275lb 67 year old man to 250W that will not even get him up a hill while a 16 year old 120lb kid can fly up it at 20mph. So do away with all power limits and specify speed limits. I would limit power assisted bikes by age though. Must be at least 16 to operate one over 25mph on public roads.
Some may not realize it but at one point regular bicycles here had to have license plates. I think they dropped that prior to 1960 though. Cost $1 to register iirc. Which was when a movie ticket was a nickel or dime.

scotticeberg said:
No regulation.

An ebike that weighs less than 60lbs with a top speed of less than 30mph is legally a bicycle. An ebike that weighs more than 60lbs and/or a top speed greater than 30mph is legally a moped/motorcycle.

+1, even the weight should not be regulated

I see my e-bicycle more like a horse but a horse which no one can spook.
The laws from UK AU EU JAP to force the driver to pedal to be legal is great lobby work from some haters.

The speed limits are also unfair. Lycras and horses both have no limits and can where i live ride on any street except highways.
A 1hp limit like in US is all you need. No other limits. Exept a age limit for 1hp bicycles. But i would make a special 0.25hp limit for under 14 years.
With 1hp on flat is about 40km/h possible thats amateur lycra speed and transporting trailers would also be possible but slower.

made_in_the_alps_legacy said:
scotticeberg said:
No regulation.

+1, even the weight should not be regulated

of course thats stupid, A lot of people will want cargo bikes with weight carrying capabilities,to replace a car for short journeys, for it to become mainstream, only us radicals :D want full on downhill bikes

I stopped to observe/photograph a truck roll over the other day

Young cop asked me "what you riding" i said "The Future" and left, young copper trying to comprehend what i said, his face was just blank. lol

GPS controller with a 25mph speed limit, then light weight efficient or heavy weight cargo haulers all work as they should and the off roaders will still be able to climb.

Ummm... Probably OT, but maybe regulations that ban seat belts, air bags and "crush zones" from ALL vehicles, ON road as well as OFF? (And sweeten the deal, offering free donuts for all law enforcement types.)

LockH said:
Ummm... Probably OT, but maybe regulations that ban seat belts, air bags and "crush zones" from ALL vehicles, ON road as well as OFF? (And sweeten the deal, offering free donuts for all law enforcement types.)
Yup OT

OT maybe. Or maybe some might rudely suggest you didn't understand watt I wrote. Seat belts, air bags etc are NOT designed to protect pedestrians, cyclists, etc, but to encourage some drivers to drive faster maybe? So, there's a chance all vehicle operators will drive safely under all conditions? Watt are the odds? (Feel like gambling? Ya do it EVery day, in traffic.) Anyway, the title of this thread says *ideal* (ebike) regulations. Would not maybe making other vehicle operators more circumspect about their own safety make roads safer for all ebikes (and other road users too)?
L

It's a dilemma, made worse by the fact that there will never be a world standard for any motor vehicle statutes, let alone E bike statutes.

But some things really make no sense, like 300w or 700w rules. Wes has it spot on, watt limits do handicap those who wish to do more with a bike than just ride around a flat neighborhood. But of course, you can't really call more than 5 hp a bike either. 2000 w (about 3 hp) is fairly reasonable, its enough to get my longtail cargo bike up most any paved hill, with a load on it, at a reasonable speed. ( reasonable is about 15 mph, fast enough to avoid cooking the motor) But at 2000w, my cargo bike is definitely less powerful than a 49cc moped, let alone motorcycle class. 2000w is not some crazy insane amount of HP to let loose on the world. :roll:

The only reasonable place to measure watts is the wire into the controller. Motor watts limits are stupid, and unenforceable. Controller watt limits. It's the controller that limits your watts you know. Easy to catch you over volting too, since that wire to the controller will be where you measure it. The statute should read something like, "controller max continuous amps x battery voltage shall not exceed such and such watts."

It might be reasonable to divide the watt limit into two classes, 1000w for no license, 2000w for those able to get a motor vehicle license. That will keep the really blind, or really irresponsible from having full 2000w. You could make it moped class for 2000w, but if so, most USA states call moped up to 5hp. 5 hp electric is a LOT more perky than most mopeds. So you get a bit of a new problem then.

There should be an age limit too, but less than 16. Surely you can trust a kid able to pedal 30 mph with 1000w. Hell, you can get a fixed wing pilots license in the USA at 16. Obviously once old enough to drive, old enough to have 2000w. The age limit will of course be seen differently in different cultures. I vividly remember visiting London at 18, and guys in pubs just couldn't believe I'd had my own car for years.

If 2000w is just too wild and crazy for them, it should be allowed to have 1200w. That's what you see on a CA, if you run a 20 amps controller on 48v. A bit light for a heavy loaded cargo bike, but certainly it's enough to get up some pretty steep and long hills. I know, I have pretty long hills here in the US Rocky Mountains. 800w doesn't cut it to get up 10 miles of 10% grade too good, but 1200w gets up it fine.

Bottom line, what I'm trying to say is the law should make some kind of sense for matching what's commonly available, like 48v and 20 amps controllers.

On to speed limits. They have them. See those signs on the side of the road? That's the speed limit for bicycles too you know. What the hell are they thinking that a bicycle with a motor has to go slower? 2000w will limit speed to 35 mph or so in most cases, so what's the big deal about a bike going 35 mph?

But, most moped laws do have some kind of caveat in them about speed, on a flat surface with a 150 pound rider. But if you read the law, that does not mean you cannot go faster if you are going downhill, or downwind. 25 or 30 mph is common for moped laws, and controllers can be made with speed limiting if they really want to. IMO, it should just be speed limited simply by whatever the watt limit that is chosen results in. Even a 1200w limit won't allow much more than 30 mph. That should do it.

But on the other hand, what is needed is bicycle path speed limits. Posted on signs just like on roads. Some places, more than 5 mph is going to be dangerous. Other places, 20 mph would be reasonable. If you want faster, there's the road over there. Post it. A 20 mph sign might help pedestrians remember that it's a MULTI use path.

FWIW, I got 2000w from what my longtail ended up having. In NM, I operate under a moped law that limits speed to 2000w. My heavy longtail, with a 40 pound load of batteries requires about 2000w to go 30 mph on flat ground. It's got a lot of weight and terrible aero. I have NO watt limit in my state, but I did build to meet a speed limit. I can legally go faster downhill or downwind. Up to the posted speed limit. So on residential streets in town, it's 25 mph. Like all vehicles.

I'm not fool enough to think a nanny state will let people have 2000w. But 1000w measured at the controller really is pretty reasonable. 1200w better, since then a 48v 20 amps controller fits the rule. Any less is a joke if you want to climb steep hills with hubmotors in 26" wheels.

Back