• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Hyperion 1420i capacity meter

Jethro56

100 W
So after 3 short trips to breakin my 2P 12s 5000maH (10aH) Turnigys I go on my first longer trip. After 12 miles riding consevatively I put the first pair on the Charger and to my dismay it says I only have 24% left in the packs. Concerned about the voltage in my cells I check them out. All are 3.82V. Does this sound right?

Jethro56 said:
So after 3 short trips to breakin my 2P 12s 5000maH (10aH) Turnigys I go on my first longer trip. After 12 miles riding consevatively I put the first pair on the Charger and to my dismay it says I only have 24% left in the packs. Concerned about the voltage in my cells I check them out. All are 3.82V. Does this sound right?

Dunno your power setup or how the Hyperion estimates remaining charge but I consistently go 8 miles on 6AH from my 12s2p Zippy's powering 9C rear DD, 22A system.

Jethro56 said:

I would say it is off by some.

lipodisbalance.gif

There's a discharge graph at 9a for my 20c turnigy lipos.

Are you pedaling? are you taking on hills? what's your speed? what kind of amps are you drawing? these are all important variables. There are more variables but those are just the basics.

When i first got my MAC motor, i was able to suck 5000mAH dry going 20-27mph in a mere 4 miles when battling some hills and it shocked me how low the efficiency was.

Then i took it on the flats, pedaling the entire time and got 11 miles out of that going the same speed.
On the same route, my 14a "250w" geared kit could pull about 13-14 miles on the same route, but only going 14-18mph.

Think of your eBike just like a car. Those long miles where you are not doing any stop and go gives you great mileage. Stop and go or hills will require much more energy.

Neptronics: Thanks for your reply.
I should have been more clear in my OP. I thought with only having 25% left in my packs that my cell voltage would be lower than 3.8 V. I'm Ok with the range I got out of them (20mph headwinds on the return trip.) Both packs took 2.8 AH to recharge I started with a 90% charge (4.10V that's what I set my Max charge at) and had 25% left. So 90%-25% = 65% removal. 5AH * .65 = 3.25 AH discharge/pack

It would appear the Pack capacity reading of the Hyperion is under reporting pack capacity by (90% X 5) = 4.5 aH 4.5aH- 2.8AH = 1.7aH left. 1.7/5.0 = 34% left not 25% left.
A hill in Central Illinois is an Interstate overpass. 8)

So the When the charger says you have 25% left I really had 34% left. Good Thing Grin restocked Large Screen Cycle Analyst. I ordered one this morning. Also order a 35amp controller. I promise to play nice. :D

I'm having a spot of bother with my Hyperion 1420i:
It doesn't seem to want to stop charging when I have set the TCS to say 85% - and Action: Stop. It will just carry right on and keep charging. Even if I set the TCS to a lower value it will keep on charging past the limit.
Can anyone give me a suggestion please? I'm wondering if I have a faulty unit and its annoying having to keep an close eye on things when nearing 4.1v/cell to finish manually. My battery set up is 8 bricks of 5ah 6s lipo. 4 in parallel twice, connected in series for 12s. So 20ah at 40 odd volts. I use 2 computer server power supplies in series to give 24v supply. I charge at a steady 10 amps or so.

You have 50% left. Don't use the % on the hyperion. It depends on how you have the charge program setup. Also, to use the different TCS settings, I believe you need to have the balance wires plugged in. For example, if you want to charge to 4.25V with the lipo program, you need to change the setting, AND have the balance plugs in.

pguk said:
I'm having a spot of bother with my Hyperion 1420i:
It doesn't seem to want to stop charging when I have set the TCS to say 85% - and Action: Stop. It will just carry right on and keep charging. Even if I set the TCS to a lower value it will keep on charging past the limit.
Can anyone give me a suggestion please? I'm wondering if I have a faulty unit and its annoying having to keep an close eye on things when nearing 4.1v/cell to finish manually. My battery set up is 8 bricks of 5ah 6s lipo. 4 in parallel twice, connected in series for 12s. So 20ah at 40 odd volts. I use 2 computer server power supplies in series to give 24v supply. I charge at a steady 10 amps or so.

Are you sure it's not just balancing? I set mine to 95%tcs and when it reaches that level, the charging timer keeps going but it's not putting any more voltage into the packs. It holds the packs at the tcs end voltage and continues with balancing until everything's perfect, which can take half an hour after it's done charging.

The capacity meter on mine is very close to readings I get from my cycle analyst.

I notice during my discharge at 12A i was shy at around 4950 but at 3.7A it deliver 5150. Also my charger doesnt seem to put back in what it pulls out so there are some losses unaccounted for.

itchynackers said:
You have 50% left. Don't use the % on the hyperion. It depends on how you have the charge program setup. Also, to use the different TCS settings, I believe you need to have the balance wires plugged in. For example, if you want to charge to 4.25V with the lipo program, you need to change the setting, AND have the balance plugs in.

I always plug the balance wires in every time. What do you mean by 'change the setting' exactly?

mdd0127 said:
Are you sure it's not just balancing? I set mine to 95%tcs and when it reaches that level, the charging timer keeps going but it's not putting any more voltage into the packs. It holds the packs at the tcs end voltage and continues with balancing until everything's perfect, which can take half an hour after it's done charging.

Yes, I know when its balancing because you have little blinking squares next to every cell which is discharging/balancing at the end of the charge. So its not that.

The other thing to say is this. During the charge, there are various screens which you can jump around to find info about where the charge is up to. It seems to log amp hours inputted and pack voltage/cell voltage okay, but the percentage of charge figure tends to stay low, like 40%, even towards the end when the average cell voltage is up above 4 volts. This would explain why I'm not shutting down at the TCS %.

I plan to change my battery config soon. At present I have a split pack with 4 bricks in either pannier. Neptronics has the whole lot in a front triangle mounted bag - so I sent off to the States for one of these and will be mounting them in there very soon. Then I will change to 4 parrallel pairs in series instead of 2 parrallel quads in series as I have now. Maybe that'll make a difference...? Thanks for all your suggestions. :)

Back