• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Hyperion 1420i voltage readings -- something I'm missing?

mrzed

100 W
I purchased the charger about 5 months ago for my very slow (I have small children) toolpack 14s battery build. I had noticed previously that the cells I was testing were coming off hte charger at a little over 4.1 in lipo mode, but didn't think too much of it.

I'm getting back on the project now, and have confirmed this to be the case. Even during charge, measuring across the contacts with the multimeter shows at least a .05v difference between the multi and the 1420 - with the 1420 measuring lower. I've tried jamming the tcs terminal voltage up to the max, but that still isn't getting me even up to full charge. I'm pretty darn sure it's not the contacts because right now I'm just charging big 1p groups using compression and foam along with aluminium foil and alligator clips. And as mentioned, the multi shows the expected voltage.

Is the voltage adjustable on these things? Do I have a dud? Sad that to bring my batteries up to full SOC after pulling them off the fancy RC charger I'm resorting to my $10 dealextreme 2 channel charger.

Mine seems perfectly OK other than the voltage readings. I was hoping there would be an adjustment possible, but there's certainly nothing I can find in the menus.

Mine is the same when bulk charging but if I solder balance leads onto the konion packs first I get very accurate readings and voltages on the packs during and after charging. The factory supplied charge leads have about 5mOhm resistance which effects the voltage reading when the charge currents starts getting up. I was getting dreadful readings when using crocodile clips to connect to the cells, now I solder directly onto the tabs but only whilst I am testing capacity and IR of the cells prior to building the pack. Once I have it built I am sure gold plated bullet connects will provide the low resistance connection that I need.

Back