• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

I am freaking paranoid.

I got one of these (Logisys 12V remote control) to use in conjunction with a compact, solid state relay for use as a remote power switch for my ride. I'm sure it would be simple enough to use this for other crafty little security measures. 8)

They also sell a four channel remote control.

http://www.svc.com/rm02.html

svcompucycle_2005_30161277

http://www.svc.com/rm04.html

svcompucycle_2007_3150080

the police i spoke to when i bought a mini-U-lock on their scheme said that most bike thefts are from junkies with pliers that simply cut through the cable locks. -PLIERS not even bolt cutters.

they also said that you want the U-locks that have the bolts turning lateraly not prependiculary so that its harder to open it with a jack. unfortunatly this makes the U part only fit into the stock in one way so it is more unconvenient when locking it up. also watch out for the circular key locks that can be picked with a pen lid!

always lock to something solid. people that steel motor bikes often go round in a van with two men who just lift the thing up into the van and ride off.

Good stuff right here. I am going to invest in some of this stuff once I receive my bike. I can't decide what kind of U-lock (Kyrptonite NY 3x6 or 4x8) and what kind of chain (Kryptonite NY 4ft or 5ft).

needWheels said:
safe said:
there were witnesses and they have his description... hopefully they will catch him)
They won't catch him because cops give ZERO attention to such theft.
As soon as it's entered into the computer it's forgotten.

Unless there is a breadcrumb trail leading to the theif's door, your friend will never see it.
It's probably been sold as parts by the following day.

This is why I ride a "junker" after the first two thefts.
(Well also that I can't afford a nice bike these days)

*TRUDAT*

Check this out:

My 78 Yamaha RD400 was stolen just two weeks after I bought it from some old guy for $800. Haven't even registered it to my name . . . gone. I kicked myself for a long time for not even locking it up. Aside from a slight oil leak, man it was mint condish! Farkin quick bike too.

Long story short: Reported it to the police BUT I FOUND IT MYSELF! YES, after 4 months I FOUND MY BIKE. It was modified with racing pipes, fiberglass seat, fairing. Registered to a woodworker, parked in front of his wood shop. Basically all my bike parts installed on a different frame.

I called the police and an "auto detail officer" in plain clothes arrived at the scene in about an hour. I showed him how the motor VIN was covered by a fabricated stainless steel plate. Out of the trunk of his unmarked car, he whipped out his old leather briefcase with tools and chemicals and unscrewed the plate right there on the spot. Lo and behold, the VIN was grounded down. Then he spread some kind of acid on the surface with a cotton ball on tweezers in an attempt to raise the stamped numbers. No go.

The owner came out of his shop asking us if there's a problem. The officer told him that he has an illegal bike and he'll have to impound it. The owner told us he bought the bike from his buddy 4 months ago, ah aha!

At this point, I still didn't have proof that my parts was on his bike. A few weeks later I realized that my ignition and gas cap keys had matching four digit numbers stamped on it. The officer took me to the impound to check. Ignition didn't match. BUT THE GAS CAP DID!

The officer made the owner an offer he couldn't refuse: To give me the entire bike or get locked up for possession of stolen property. He dropped the issue like a bad habit. ~ TRA LA LA ~ I'm such the man.

Moral of the story: The universe will unfold like it should. . . .but only if you live a charmed life :twisted:

huskydave said:
I have yet to see anything that cannot be cut with a 4 1/2"grinder and a cutoff wheel. How would someone power one? a 80 dollar battery pack with a built in inverter not to mention a portable acetalene torch. You can slow them down but don't let your bike out of your sight if you don't want it to get stolen! Anything can be beaten so keep your eyes open and your bike closeby.

Try sharpening carbide machine tool bits on a standard grinder, and the toolbits kind of laugh at you. Unfortunately toolbits are very brittle...

Iron Yeti said:
Good stuff right here. I am going to invest in some of this stuff once I receive my bike. I can't decide what kind of U-lock (Kyrptonite NY 3x6 or 4x8) and what kind of chain (Kryptonite NY 4ft or 5ft).

You want to keep as little room as possible in the U-lock shackle to defeat the bottle jack compromise.
Two methods are better than one. Cable and chain or either in conjunction with a NYC style U-Lock is recommended. Make sure you buy through hardened chain. A locksmith usually handles better merchandise than a bike shop. On-Guard is a good brand of bike lock. There are many "house brand" locks made in the same facility as Kryptonite and On-Guard locks. They're just priced less. The conditions to qualify for the insurance offered by the big name lock makers are too often impossible to meet.
Beware of locking to posts that are merely bolted to an imbedded collar.
Silicon caulk filling the hex recess of allen bolts thwarts tweakers looking to easily grab a saddle or handlebar, stem, derailleur, etc.

Link said:
needWheels said:
Oooh I just had an idea. How about an RFID reader that would only unlock the wheel if you were within 10 feet.

You'd carry the rfid on your keychain or something.

I thought of something similar, actually. I'd use one of those wheel locks somehow connected up to a solenoid. And you could also rig it up to a keychain transmitter that could unlock/lock it. Someone tries to steal your bike, they get up to speed, and you push the button. Seeing the guy trying to steal my bike doing a faceplant into the concrete would be well worth the broken spoke or two. 8)

I'm the kind of guy who would prefer a 12ga. signal flare in the seat post or a camera flash tazer rigged to the hand grips.
Spokes are worth more than bike thieves.

Zoot Katz said:
Link said:
needWheels said:
Oooh I just had an idea. How about an RFID reader that would only unlock the wheel if you were within 10 feet.

You'd carry the rfid on your keychain or something.

I thought of something similar, actually. I'd use one of those wheel locks somehow connected up to a solenoid. And you could also rig it up to a keychain transmitter that could unlock/lock it. Someone tries to steal your bike, they get up to speed, and you push the button. Seeing the guy trying to steal my bike doing a faceplant into the concrete would be well worth the broken spoke or two. 8)

I'm the kind of guy who would prefer a 12ga. signal flare in the seat post or a camera flash tazer rigged to the hand grips.
Spokes are worth more than bike thieves.

I don't see why you couldn't do all three. :wink:

Back