iCharger 4010 Duo review

Never mind the cable. I cant remember.
BTW. It was not my video, I just help the guy out and made a comment.

Let us now about your progress. Good luck.

Next time testing, use a current limited power supply. Turn up the current slowly and watch for smoke. This way, you will save
other components from burning up.

Thanks mate!

Yeah I don't have laboratory psu :oops:

So you are the guy who has received a email from Junsi about TVS diode?
Well I have sent Junsi many mails, no replies at all!

Anyway, today I had more good feeling to fix charger again.

I have replaced all fets, even they are not broken.
I have used 3207Z, 3306 and 3205 fets.
Some fets are showing black marks > from factory not enough of thermal compound applied.

De-soldering is a little pain..... with highest temperature (450C) setting it will work -)

Aslo I have replaced one small smd resistor nearby fet driver IC.

Now everything is working again :lol:

Voltages reading a little bit off, maybe i should calibrate charger.....

Thanks all!

It sounds like a nice charger, thank you for the revew.
So if I got it right, I can use this for balace charging anything up to 20s?

Can i set it up to bulk charge up to a certain voltage, then balace charge up to a voltige I set?
And I can use a car battery charger or something to power this charger?

I found this tread again :)
What I meant is can I just connect an extra lead in the mittle of the pack, while it is still connected in 13s, 18s, 20s or whatever without disconnecting anything and balace charge? I would prefer not to have any extra connectors in the pack, and maby give unnecessary voltage drops.

No, you cant.
I did not read the manual and connected this way and one side of the charger blew fuses and etc.

If you want to use both sidesnof the charger at the same time then there must be two separate batterys only.
So you must put disconnect plug in middle
Of your pack.

j bjork said:
Okay, thank you.
Bummer :(

If you have two separate 10s chargers running on separate power sources you can charge the 20s pack without breaking the internal connection.

Or four 5s chargers. You get the point.

The most convenient thing to do (for a hobby project) is to split the pack and charge on one charger.

If you get a charger that charges via balance leads only you don't even need to touch the big wires. Depending on the capacity of your pack it could take a long time. You still need to split the pack with a switch or something though.

The risk of having to split the pack is you forgetting to do it and blowing up your charger or melting a balance lead.

It needs to be fool proof for regular use.

Yes, thank you.
The problem is that my battery is built in a box with very tight fit and not really any place for extra connectors.
However the charge connector is 3poles, but only 2 are used. So it would be easy to just fit an extra wire from somewere in the mittle of the pack to the unused pole in the connector.

The balance leads are rather weak, and i have only a weak computer connector for them. So I don´t want to charge more than about 1A through them. But so far it doesn´t seem to be a problem to just bulk charge and manually check the balance, it seems to keep in balance very good.

But this charger seemed like a good alternative anyway, if it could have charged and balanced the whole pack easely with better control. But when it can´t it is less interesting.
Sure, 2 chargers would be an alternative. I will look in to that.

I developed an issue. The ribbon cable between the LCD and main board is damaged. I've been taking apart the connector on the main board exclusively. I'm guessing it was crunched at the factory. Anyway, 2 of the exposed ends are folded over and just recently started acting up. I'll have intermittent issues with the rotary control.

I found longer cables on ebay so I ordered a couple of them after scrounging through lots of old electronics in hopes of finding one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5Pcs-0-5MM-Pitch-6-60Pins-AWM-20624-80C-60V-VW-1-ZIF-FFC-Ribbon-Flat-Cable-200MM/283302280648?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=584177821673&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

That ought to fix my random issues.

Otherwise, I'm guessing here, but I think something like 1000-3000 hours of use are on it now. I've charged and discharged tons of batteries with it. This entire bin of 18650's and probably another 300 more have been tested on this charger. Never mind loads of LIPO and SLA batteries.

Laptop%20cells_zpst3j3hilp.jpg

yeah those ribbon cables are very sensitive!
If you like to do cheap just cut off the broken area 8)
I have also ordered spare cables, so while waiting I did the above mod it just working fine.

Has anyone used the NiMh Mode on the iCharger 4010Duo ?
I need to cycle a bunch of Rav4 95Ah cells/modules.
I'm wondering if the 4010 in NiMh Mode will monitor each CELL for discharge cutoff? or is it set as a PACK cutoff voltage; ie, 10V for Pack vs 1V per-Cell?
The Manual is not helpful in showing connections for a NiMh discharge run, and it won't allow entry of # of Cells in NiMh mode.
I've watched too many 4010 Youtubes now and none were NiMh.
Any insights would be appreciated.

thanks

Let's assume I have an iCharger 4010 Duo with a Mean Well 2000W 40A power supply.
Let's also assume I have two 10s18p packs, each 36V @ 60A.

• Will this thing actually charge such large packs decently, reliably?
  • Or is this unit aimed primarily for smaller Lipo packs?
  • What might I expect with such a setup -- full charge both packs in 2hrs? 4hrs? More? Less?

Just curious.
M

I use my 4010 to charge my two, 9S/100 Ah LiFeP04 prismatic packs. It charges them without issue. It'll charge right up to the channel limit Watts if you feed it enough input power at over 34 Volts. Roughly, It would be able to charge both your packs at about a 20 Amp rate at one time with your limited 2000 Watt power supply given an 85% efficiency rate. So probably a 2-2.5 hour re-charge depending on how low you ran them.

MJSfoto1956 said:
Let's assume I have an iCharger 4010 Duo with a Mean Well 2000W 40A power supply.
Let's also assume I have two 10s18p packs, each 36V @ 60A.

• Will this thing actually charge such large packs decently, reliably?
  • Or is this unit aimed primarily for smaller Lipo packs?
  • What might I expect with such a setup -- full charge both packs in 2hrs? 4hrs? More? Less?

Just curious.
M

You can set the capacity to anything you want on the charger. There's no reason to believe it will have an issue charging a 10Ah or a 1000Ah or 10,000Ah pack. It just takes longer. Balance voltage will still be the same.

Charge time will vary based on the capacity of your pack and the charge current you set. Charge at 1 amp and you have a 10 ah pack...well it will take about 10 hours. Charge at 30 amps and it will take about 20 minutes for the same pack.

Like all chargers, you get a wattage, not an amperage spec. If you charge at 10S, expect max charge current to be less than charging at 5S.

rossasaurus said:
Has anyone used the NiMh Mode on the iCharger 4010Duo ?
I need to cycle a bunch of Rav4 95Ah cells/modules.
I'm wondering if the 4010 in NiMh Mode will monitor each CELL for discharge cutoff? or is it set as a PACK cutoff voltage; ie, 10V for Pack vs 1V per-Cell?
The Manual is not helpful in showing connections for a NiMh discharge run, and it won't allow entry of # of Cells in NiMh mode.
I've watched too many 4010 Youtubes now and none were NiMh.
Any insights would be appreciated.

thanks

I can't answer that. Typical SLA, nicad and nimh packs don't have balance leads to monitor the individual cells. Usually you apply a voltage across the entire pack and they all charge to whatever. Yeah...not very "balanced" I agree. I bet the 4010 doesn't balance these chemistries, but that's jsut a guess.

Gidday Forum,
Maybe someone can help me with me question?

I want to charge a LiFePO4 single 200A cell at 3.5V
I was reading the icharger 4010 duo manual and it has written, "Chg Cell Volt: 3.85V/Cell-4.35V/Cell;"

Is this correct or can I dial it down to the 3.5V that I want to use?

Later I want to bring all 4 cells up to 3.65V in parallel, as my end voltage for my battery.

Thanks in advance
Kiwi

winston-200-aha_600x600_z1.jpg

3.85V is for other LI chemistries, not LFP / LiFePO4, aka "LiFe"

Choose the cell type and then it allows your desired per-cell charge voltage setting.

I have 4010 Duo and using to charge 100ah Calb battery in my van from
the engine alternator - works fine -

some things that could be better -
screen layout is not great -
some important info is in small type and hard to read
wires going to charger are small gauge - should be bigger -

overall its a nice charger -I purchased 4 yrs ago and was the best
charger available that could work using alternator as power -

Back