Idea for removable "security" build.

3yt

100 µW
Im just starting to learn about e bikes, sorry if this sounds dumb.

Would it be possible to make an simple build with a PAS only front hub to a front basket containing the remaining electronics? Can it function without a display and just HWBS.

The ideal would be I could quickly remove the front tire and basket to take them inside leaving only a cheap bike remaining for shopping or overnights.

Im realizing that quick release hub motors are not common, i found this though https://www.amazon.com/L-faster-Ele...r+quick+release+hub+motor,aps,121&sr=8-1&th=1

Not practical to remove the wheels. The bolts must be tight, torque arms typically require one or two hose clamps, or a bolt to secure them. And then there is some stuff to secure the wire, but that plug could be located closer to the motor. Bottom line, if its that bad, you cant shop much, and must bring the thing inside overnight. Your plan could work fine if its was weekly, but daily, too much trouble even with QR hub.

In some cases, folding bikes that go in elevators easier are the best solution. Or, if your trip is short enough, a stand up scooter.

As Dogman pointed out it’s just not practical to try to remove it daily. There’s a lot of time in securing the axle and the wires so it will be very counterproductive to try to remove every day. One of those things that sounds good in theory but in real life it wouldn’t work out so well.

Like dogman suggested a scooter might be your best option because of the weight and size. Or maybe even a E skateboard lol but those are a lot more dangerous than scooters because of the wheel size.

How far do you have to go, Do you have any Hills, Is it flat ?How tall are you ? How much do you weigh ,How much do you have to carry ? Help us Help you.

If you end up doing this, in the more primitive scooter versions, the controller and throttle can be fairly cheap. And they might leave half a bike alone.

But a smaller bike might be the best answer. So you can make it up stairs easier.

There is a system like this. Its a front-wheel friction-drive. It looks like it has a front basket, but the bottom half hides a friction drive that rolls on the top of the front tire.

I built a rear-wheel friction drive that attached to the seat-post, and the seat-post had a quick-disconnect clamp.

My main ebike is a cruiser frame, and the front wheel has a disc brake plus a quick-disconnect axle. On those rare occasions that I need to load it onto a bike carrier, popping the front wheel off is fairly easy.

I made a friction-drive so the system would be light and easily removable. I lived on a second story apartment, and I could haul the bike up, but it was a hassle.

Back