In a perfect world...

I was lamenting the fact that, a ride that would really save me some gas $$, is a 28 mile stretch, that is probably outside the range of my battery, weight, terrain, ect.

Checking out the route on the map, I spotted a possible solution to the problem... charge halfway at a park pavillion! There is one exactly at the 1/2 way point of the journey. It's a big, well taken care of park. A few of the rentable pavillions have electricity available.

So I drove to the park today to check it out.. found the outlet's, but nope. Looks like they only get turned on if you rent the pavillion. I should have figured as much. Would have been perfect, have a lunch break at the park while the batt recharges.

28 miles is twice as far as I'd want to commute on a bike, but it can be done easily with the right battery and the right speed. AT 20mph, you shouldn't need more than ~700wh. My $275 pack is 888wh. For 30mph, you'll need ~1kw of battery. What is your battery?

How fast do you think those batteries would charge at that pavillion? Are you planning to spend the night? If this is a trip to work, would you even be able to get a full charge before you headed home? Sounds like there's more planning to do.

I have found the same thing, some cities have a hot plug here or there, others not. My city is like that, not one wh of free power in any public space I've tried to find it. During the farmers market, they turn on a lot of plugs, but the ones not paid for by a particular vendor, have block offs installed. :roll:

One thing I've learned to look for, to steal some power. Buildings for sale, often the realtor wants to show the building and be able to turn on the lights.

28 miles is not that huge a jump, with the weather warming up, time to invest in more battery. 1000wh worth, including what you have now should be plenty.

Dauntless said:
How fast do you think those batteries would charge at that pavillion? Are you planning to spend the night?

:lol: lol. I suppose not. My battery is in my sig...48v x 15ah. 720wh.

Nelson, I like your suggestion. Will probably work on the way there, which is mostly a descent towards Lake Ontario. I can recharge at the destination. The way back has the most concern.

You can certainly do 28 miles on 720wh if you ride ~20 mph. 20mph takes just under 21wh per mile, so that's 33 miles in perfect conditions. Carry a 3lb reserve 5ah 12s lipo pack for 222wh more.

Back