Integrated, Scalable Solar/Battery/AC Charging/Inverting/EV DC Charging and More

JohnGalt171

100 µW
See here: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=92952&e=1&view=unread#p1699601

I think that this open source BMS is amazing and I'm working on something for which this is a component. I'm a casual EE person, not a pro, but I write software for a living in many languages and can bring the software tools to the party if others are interested in working with me on this. Here's a basic break down:

A integrated, intelligent solution to the semi-off-grid home/business that enables a scalable architecture that can move a home from legacy AC, grid tied, to a primarily DC home with legacy AC devices that is ultra efficient, doesn't require the cloud and allows incremental adoption. Current 48V systems don't scale well to meet a fossil fuel home's energy needs because of the massive amperage parallel 48V batteries entail, so the solution is higher voltage done safely and cost effectively.

1. A scalable LiFePO4 Battery solution from 16S to 120S using the above BMS system. This allows for DIY to scale incrementally over time and add more batteries in an effective way. As the pack gets larger the system gets more efficient by the nature of how half-bridge DC/DC works. We have this component now. Although ideally these would be 24S so that the full pack would be a 5 pack solution.
2. A scalable MPPT solar charge controller that can take 600/900V PV input and work with the BMS to charge whatever the size of the battery pack is transparently and automatically. These could be parallelized for many strings in series.
3. A scalable inverter system that would work with whatever the battery pack voltage is and provide stable 240V AC and be parallelized in the same master/slave configuration as the BMS to add additional wattage as needed.
4. A scalable AC/DC Grid Charger that will use weather data, consumption and solar input to determine how much, if any AC Grid charging is required to ensure uninterrupted power. This would also tie into the auto-shutdown for grid tie that many energy companies now support for lower rates and would understand rates and charge opportunistically using all of this data to minimize costs while maximizing up-time.
5. A DC/DC EV Charger that allows 98+% efficiency using a half bridge design and supporting the CCS-Type2 charge standard (which Tesla now also supports) so that the inverters don't have to be consumed with this huge power draw.
6. DC Air Source Heat Pump design that can be powered directly from the DC bus at 98% efficiency eliminating the need for inverters for what is already a DC heat pump. (i.e. most air source heat pumps can run from DC right now if you drive them with 340VDC through the rectifier so creating one that runs from DC directly entails getting the right partner to remove the rectifier and make it DC only.
7. DIN-Rail style Buck/Boost converters for 48VDC low voltage for basically everything other than Hair Dryers, high power desktop computers and microwave ovens. I.e. the existing 14 gauge wire can be used for 15A at 48VDC which will drive 720W. The new USB C 240W standard is 48VDC at 5A max and most devices in the next 5 years including TVs that aren't already USB C will convert to USB C power because it means that they don't have to have UL listing for the device and can use COTS power supplies. In this design, none of it is UL listed, and the 48VDC from the battery can power ethe USB C ports on the existing wire for 240VDC and do so much more efficiently and in wall instead of a wall wart. So having a 384VDC bus (or whatever your battery is) and then DC DIN breakers that output 48VDC is ideal. This also works great for LED light bulbs, all of which run off of 48VDC just fine already, and IOT light switches etc which no longer need UL listing making them vastly cheaper and safer.
8. As an alternative to large scale AC Inverters, using DIN rail mounted inverters per 240V breaker currently in a home allows for much smaller scale inverters that are point loads. And then a central 120V inverter for the rest of your legacy devices as you switch over.

It seems to me that starting with the conventional scalable BMS, adding an MPPT and central Inverters that work the same would be an ideal go to market strategy and then add the other components opportunistically. I envision this being open source and free to use for personal use with licensing for companies that want to create their own devices from the standard and cost for industrial/commercial use.

I have built an IOT system that works completely offline and enables P2P style communication between devices over ethernet/wifi using secure device identities that are issued from your root identity (similar to a crypto wallet) and you use the app on any of 6 platforms including web (all built on flutter) to adopt devices using Bluetooth Le which is then shut off after the adoption process which gets the device on the network and issues it's identity and initial permissions for the owner to manage the device and delegate access to others including other devices. This allows the BMS to talk to the MPPT, Inverters, AC/DC Charger, Heat Pump and more all via wifi or preferably ethernet with management in the app over the network natively. I'm also working on integration of the platform to Home Assistant. Think ESPHome or Tasmota but you don't need MQTT or ESPHome servers running, it just works and you can setup whatever rules for events and inputs you want and all of the work happens directly between devices on the network. Obviously using CANBus for some direct communication may still be desirable, but for management and configuration, this design is ideal and also provides an avenue for other devices we can offer in the market later.

If EE people especially are interested in discussing this, please message me directly. Ideas and feedback welcome here of course.

Very interesting :bigthumb: . Going to subscribe to this topic as I'd like to see what you come up with for HV BMS solutions.

Back