Interceptor MK2 build log

joetemus

100 mW
I thought I'd start a quick build log of my current project, in which I call the Interceptor MK2, I guess I thought the name just sounded cool. :roll: Anyways, its MK2, because my first build went bust when I couldn't get the gearing right with a 11-60 tooth gear reduction with a golf cart starter motor, and decided to start over with a motor more designed for this.

The hardware
- 1967 Huffy diamondback bicycle. Over engineered steel frame that has a lot more supports added then now needed, because that starter motor was REALLY heavy.
- MY-1020z-3 motor. 36V 600 watt I currently have 2 of them from the user gogo who lives in town and had some from the nemo project.
- Crystalyte 36-48v 25a brushed controller. Came with the motors, and I think has a blown mosfet in it.
- 4x12v 8ah SLA scooter batteries. These are the cheap current batteries I'm using until I know for sure it works, and then I will upgrade to lipo/lifepo4 batteries
- Magura 5k twist throttle

Here is what I'm starting with
iIh907D.jpg

I think im going to leave that huge gear on the back for now, because a) it looks awesome, b) because it was a lot of work to get on there c) wouldn't be hard to get off later d) it looks awesome 8)

After getting the motors, and the batteries I built the battery box using 1/4 inch oak plywood to make it as thin as possible ( I want to be able to comfortably pedal, and still look kind of like a bike).
5tHx6u2.jpg

dQEjKRc.jpg

7zSTjnI.jpg

mwURJvk.jpg

I used a ton of gorilla glue, and a nail gun to get it nice and strong! The top shelf will hold 3 batteries very tightly, and the bottom half will hold all the wiring, and an extra battery. I plan on running the bike using a flip switch between 36 and 48V so that I can have almost like a "turbo switch" Here's the box with just the batteries in it. (I also have the on off master kill switch, and the 30A fuse already in here, sorry about the bad lighting.
C5KdwOi.jpg

We have already built the start of a motor mount from 10 gauge steel that sits behind the seat. We had to move it so far back so that the chain will clear the frame.
UPcXYjh.jpg

I have also installed a new single gear crank set and a new chain, so as soon as the actual pedals come in I will have an actual bike again!

UPDATE 1:
I made a quick mockup of what the dash is going to look like.
FNFw0cg.jpg

I plan on mounting this are far forward on the top bar of my bike as I can. The bottom left switch is my on-off-on switch, which switches from 36-48V, currently it is set at 48v with each battery almost fully charged. The bottom right switch is my master kill switch. Although I can use the on-off-on to turn off the bike, I like to have a bigger one I can just hit if something goes wrong. The top voltmeter is voltage going into the motor controller, and the bottom one is my accessory 12V voltage, which comes from a 15-55V to 12V converter. It only can provide 1.5amps though, so I will only be running my turn signal, brake lights, and possibly headlights off of this. My horn (which I'm not buying until after everything else works) will just be connected the the extra 12v battery, which should hold a charge longer because I don't plan on running off 48V all the time. I also plan on possibly adding a small temp sesor, and speedometer, but not immediately, so I left some room between the switches, and I might extend the board down a little more when I make it out of wood, not cardboard.

Whats left of the wiring/soldering:
- turn signal and brake light connections
- horn connections (might wait on this one, unless I get some spare time)
- head light connections.
- mount box, then run wires to all locations
- try to organize the wires as much as humanly possible
- figure out how tall the dash is going to be, and how im going to secure it. ( I plan on using hinges on front side, and screwing down the back, so if I need to add something to the dash later I can just lift it up.)
- possibly do some sort of waterproofing. not sure yet. Any ideas?

Also got some new wheels from gogo, and it looks like I should be able to either thread, weld, or glue these southpaw gears onto them. One is a 24", and the other is a 26" I'm going to try to use the 26" with mountain bike tread to hopefully get the rear wheel a little wider, because I live on a gravel road.

7QLocDz.jpg

I also got some pedals and a crank set back onto the bike, so its able to pedal. I forgot to take a picture after I put the actual pedals on though. just plain silver metal pedals.

Current holdups are also updated.
END UPDATE 1

UPDATE 2
Got my headlights, tail lights, and turn signals all ready to be wired up, then mounted. I have to wait until I get my motor mounted before I run tailights and turn signals though.

Also, I got the battery box mounted!!! It doesn't look the best right now, and cable management is a must if I'm going to fit them all into that box, but it should be doable. The dash is also currently just taped to the top of the bike, with electrical tape keeping it from shorting out on the frame. eventually I will build it out of wood, and have side supports holding it up.

ZPDmp0y.jpg

UvLOuTu.jpg

Also had to order a new motor controller... :cry: the old one still went full throttle immediately after applying any voltage from the battery, so there is still a short somewhere... I just need to find it. That will be a future project!

END UPDATE 2

updated Current holdups:
- waiting for new controller....
- CABLE MANAGEMENT
- Mounting the motor. I really want to mount a southpaw gear onto the left side of the rear wheel, so that I can have freewheel action when I coast. I am going to try the cheap way of using an extra hub and trying to thread/glue/weld onto the left side to get a southpaw gear onto it.
- Time for wiring. I'm a full time college student, so finding time to wire all this stuff up is a problem, but I'm finding more time then I expected

All the photos I have taken of MK1, and MK2 are thrown into this album. Check it out! http://imgur.com/a/j152L

recumpence said:
I love it.

I like the picture of the 69 Mustang in the background. This is the bike version of that car. :)

Matt

Thanks man! 69-70 mustang fastback is my dream car!

1c18Cg1.jpg

I have ordered some new fets for my board, since when I tested them they both acted differently, which I assumed meant they blew(the one it the picture had almost no resistance between the leads like .5-2 ohms, and the one I took off had 5k-15k resistance). I could only find them in China though, so they should be here by the end of the month. Hopefully before I finish the rest of the soldering is totally finished, so I can know If I need to wire something different if the board is shot.

I also updated the main post.

Anyone know if this motor controller is any good?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/24-60V-500-1000W-motor-brush-controller-for-Electric-bike-bicycle-scooter-/170937655932

I ordered it because it was the only controller that I could find that was brushless, and could handle either 36 or 48v.

joetemus said:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/24-60V-500-1000W-motor-brush-controller-for-Electric-bike-bicycle-scooter-/170937655932

I ordered it because it was the only controller that I could find that was brushless, and could handle either 36 or 48v.

crap.. going for a cordless screwdriver motor would be better.... obviously you are a passenger from the 19th century, otherwise you'd use Li-Ion ( people fro the 19th use Nicd ord Nimh)

what you need is some knowlage about BLDC, it's not as hard as it sounds... your efford will pay out :) If you just dont want, get an old 24V standup scooter (with broken battery) for ~10-20 bucks on ebay and exploit it. You'll get the components you need for almost nothing :twisted:

crossbreak said:
joetemus said:

crap.. going for a cordless screwdriver motor would be better.... obviously you are a passenger from the 19th century, otherwise you'd use Li-Ion ( people fro the 19th use Nicd ord Nimh)

what you need is some knowlage about BLDC, it's not as hard as it sounds... your efford will pay out :) If you just dont want, get an old 24V standup scooter (with broken battery) for ~10-20 bucks on ebay and exploit it. You'll get the components you need for almost nothing :twisted:

Ah but the thing is I got 2 brushed 600-800 watt motors for $35 that came with a controller. unfortunately the controller is blown, so thats why I ordered a new one. I'm using these batteries and motors because they are most performance I can get with my budget. I really wish I could get a brushless hub motor with a nice big infineon controller, and a large lifePo4 battery pack. I just don't have the funds to drop that on a bike. I have less than $275 in this bike, and should be able to hit 25-30 without pedaling, and go to campus and back. That's all I wanted to do.

Back