It's time to replace my 22P ... 29E,32E,25R, or 30?

Supertux1

100 W
I've been very happy with my em3ev cell_man triangle battery a 14s9p of ICR18650-22P @ 18.5Ah running a geared hub motor MAC-10T.

However, after three years of almost constant cruising at 20-30A draws, the capacity is now less than half of what it was new, the voltage drop is very steep, and I'm getting close to LVC on my commute now. I've logged almost 8000 miles on the bikes in my signature (still working!) and I'm not disappointed, this is more than I expected! It's paid for itself a few times over saving wear and tear and gas on my car. So, 3 years later, there are so many new 18650 cells to choose from for its replacement!

Basically, I am wondering if I should choose the high capacity (29E, 32E) or one of the high energy (25R, 30Q) cells.

I will never pull more than 40A peak continuous out of the 9p pack which equates to about 4.5A per cell max. (Controller cut off, motor thermal limiting etc...) Most average cruising rates are 20A to 30A (2.2C - 3.3C) for about 35 minutes, 10 miles or so. Occasional crosstown commutes, double that range and time.

So, I know there is a relationship between lifecycle, capacity and C rates but I'm not sure exactly what from these new cells. I'd like the new battery to last just as long. I don't want to get a high power battery, not be able to use its full draw capacity and also be stuck with a lower lifecycle with no tradeoff. So, will I gain an advantage in lifecycle by choosing one of the high energy cells and only using a fraction of its capabilities, or is it more economical to purchase the high capacity cells and run it close to it's C rating?

If it doesn't really matter either way, I'd opt for the 32E for the increase in range.

Thanks for your help!

I think in your situation you are not pulling really high current so it might be worth looking at your options.
For the price of a new pack I think that the Sanyo NCR 18650GA 3500 mAh might be a good choice. AFAIK those are the same cells as the panasonic (Tesla cells) you can get from ES member Okashira. Check out his thread I think he has a new stack of cells for sale, he can also spot weld the pack for you if you like. Might be the best choice for you as he is US based as you are.

Tumich has the Samsung INR 18650-35E 3500 mAh and got a good price on those as well as the Sanyo GA.

As far as I can see the price of Q30 is almost double that of 35E or GA. If you where doing hi current draw a lot like WOT at each red light over and over might be worth considering but it seems the load you are pulling now higher mAh is the way to go as you will not send your pack to an early grave with any of these batteries based on your usage.

I was just on Luna cycles site and it looks like they have the Panasonic 3500ma bare cells as well. Best look at all the different cell discharge curves based on what size of battery you want to do.

But most of the high capacity cells only loose 2-300mah capacity running around half their max c rating. So you are likely still better off running a high capacity cell vs a high discharge cell.

Just an example:

Back