jst-sm crimping: controlling depth of insertion

zacksc

100 W
I have been making some jst-sm connectors, mostly with male pins, and I kind of thought that with experience I would get better and better at that. I am finding that I still have a lot of trouble getting consistent depth of insertion. I have a good crimping tool that I bought from Grin. I strip 2 mm, I close the large tabs slightly with needle nose, I put the pin in the crimpers just flush. But then my problem is when I go to crimp it, and I am applying a lot of force, the wire can move a little bit relative to the pin and then I get too much insertion or too little. At best I get 3 (or more) pins that don't line up quite perfectly (in terms of length), and at worst, I have to recut all the wires and start over.
I have started using a black marking pin to provide a depth indicator on the wires, and that helps a bit, but not that much. What I do then is start with the black wire, crimp that, and if I get the depth right on that one then I do the red and the other colors. Is there a way to consistently get correct depth of insertion crimping jst-sm pins?

Back