Kid goes to the candy store: a visit to Thunderstruck Motors

CGameProgrammer said:
If you put the hub in its lowest gear, use full throttle, and wait for the bike to hit top speed (for that gear), what would the acceleration be like if you then upshift as quickly as you can without causing the motor to slow down? I would think this would result in faster acceleration than you could achieve any other way.
Kind of a manual CVT.

It is a manual CVT.

When I started out in "low gear", the motor reached full speed in a few seconds; very fast. Due to the high loading, you can't shift up under load, so you have to back off the throttle breifly to shift up. Apparently Currie has a way to shift one under load automatically, but they are using a smaller motor. Anyway, it certainly does accelerate quickly.

CGameProgrammer said:
I was assuming it was a manual CVT. Was I wrong?
I mean in the manner you describe you would be manually mimicking what is traditionally recognized as a conventional CVT in regards to accelerating to top speed.

that's about how I end up using it. jam on full throttle (leaning forward), I hit top rpm in perhaps 2.5 sec, then drop throttle just to 3/4 and twist up (on left hand) the CVT control about 1/4 turn, then full up throttle. After about 3 of these switches, I'm at 40mph, maybe in 10 sec.

I found out today how the pattern works. Below 1:1 gear ratio, I can shift down under load but not up. Above 1:1, I can shift up under load but not down. around 1:1 I can go both ways with throttle full on. fun with balls.

roller i can't find a lot of info on this forum about frame mounted bikes

i would like to build a less powerfull bike than the ones you offer using a cheap frame and three speed hub i need a l or xl frame because i'm 6'3''
i found the mongoose currie at wall mart for $300
see http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1010

could you take a look at this frame and see how an engine could be mounted? maybe a 600watt powerpack motor but nothing over 750 watts
i don't need to go more than 20-25 ( i don't like the wind at faster speeds anyway) but i need to climb a steep hill with out using alot of power like hub motors use thats why i need a three speed hub.

if this isn't a good frame what else would you recomend?

thanks alot

kisshu

those are way too expensive. i see lots of basic bikes for over $1000 to $5000 dollars but i only spent $3000 on my subaru car - i need a cheapo bike $80- $200 size L

kisshu said:
those are way too expensive. i see lots of basic bikes for over $1000 to $5000 dollars but i only spent $3000 on my subaru car - i need a cheapo bike $80- $200 size L

If your budget is less than $200, buy something decent secondhand, not some cheap "fully suspended" P.O.S.

kisshu said:

I wouldn't even pedal those cheap POS bikes at 25mph, not to mention you'll spend money down the road on them to replace components.

a really good bicycle frame with high quality fancy components should not cost more than 400 - 500 dollars. beyond that price range your into rapidly diminishing performance returns and your paying for cachet and novelty and rare metals but funcionality will not sbstantially increase on a 2000 dollar bike with fancy specialty brand components. i bought a $89 mongoose gmx aluminum from walmart with shimano components a few years ago and its still working great. the frame is too small but at that price i was willing to sacrifice until i found something that suited me better.
a girl could easily spend 1000 dollars on a designer bikini or more on a dress but they function the same and i could put her in some $200
clothes that would make her just as hot and you could have more fun without woring about stains ;)

Some of that depends on what you're going to use the bike for. I don't consider hydraulic brakes, or strong dual crown forks to be a novelty. More like safety and functionality.

I have a cheapo Formula 20mm hub, and the bearings are shot in it. As with most things, you get what you pay for. To be fair though, I ride well over 1000km per month in the summer time. A 5 day round trip to work is 335km x 4 = 1340km, but I don't ride every day.

Back