• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

kmx and crystalyte

tigger3015

1 mW
Hi everyone. I just got a KMX Kart and want to put a rear crystalyte disc brake system on it.

One of my worries is that that the disc will not align with the caliper on the bike.
The second thing is that I would like to be able to do 40-50 kph.

The speed is not as important as the range. I really would like to use this bike for going to work and back.
What is the max range that I could get at 35 kph? The weight of the bike is 42 lbs and I am about 180 lbs

Has anyone done this mod ?

I would like as much advice as I could get since I don't really want to order the parts and find out that they don't fit.

Thanks Tigger.

Good Day T!

Welcome again !

If you remove the rear wheel and measure inside the dropouts.. can you report back how many mm's you have ?

Also measure the axle diameter ( the slot that the axle slides into ) needs to be 3/8 or 10mm

As far as range and speed...

Range is a factor by WH ( Watt Hour )
Speed is a factor of Voltage ! :twisted: and motor type.

Do you have a fixed budget to work with or is this open for discussion ? :mrgreen:

40 km/h .. not a problem.. 50 km/h takes alot or power.. over 50 takes ALOT MORE power..

Thanks for the info ypedel. I will get back to you with the measurements.

I don't have a fixed budget but I would like to keep it as cheap as possible. I would like to build a great ride that is very reliable.

Thanks Tigger

KMX has standard sized dropouts. I've never had an x'lyte with a disk, but the old Puma motors would slot right in with a disk.
THe old 408 x'lyte motor I had, on a 35A controller would use about 30watt hours per mile at a little under 30mph. 30 miles range is possible with the right sized LifePo4 pack under the seat.
In fact, I just found the original thread about my original KMX build, using the crystalyte motor... http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=796

All changed since then of course...

I had to look that thing up. Nice trike.

14 cm is an odd size. usualy they are either 135mm, or 145mm. But from the pic, its pretty clear its not a 145mm. A 40X series motor should fit with the disk brakes, if you use a 5 speed casette. Alignment should be similar to the hub you have now, but you might have to shim it or make adjustments for the brake rotor to line up.

I don't know what you want for range, but using a 40X over a 530X will give you more range. Most of your range will be a factor of your batteries, and the terrain you will be running on.

i would not purchase a rear disk brake if your gona have problems fitting it ...

do what i did .. resistive braking .. works great ... and cheap... i tried it out yesterday !.

added on resistive braking .. about 18feet of 22awg .. with a 20.5 amp switch to active the rear brake.

2rqm1hy.jpg

1zvucsm.jpg

Have you ever measured the distance between home and work ? car odometer.. mapquest.. gps ... ? How far do you need to go realistically... or say 90 % of the time ?

Alot of times people have grand visions of a 50 mile+ range, end up with more battery than they need ( yeah.. some people never learn.. :D ) this not only adds to the cost of the whole project, but adds weight.. etc..

Jozzer has the right idea with the Puma motor and Lithium.. a scaled down version of his setup would do you well !

then for 35kmh you'd want a 750watt hour pack or so, @ 48v thats a 15Amp Hour pack, or 36v 20AH.
To go a bit faster perhaps a kilawatt hour would fit on the trike, 48v 20AH, or 36v 30AH. This would let you consume 30wh per mile and still reach destination, and should get you too 45kph or so (as long as you dont try to acellerate too quickly).
I'd get LifePo4 type battery if at all possible...

A pack this big will make your bike weigh a fair bit, if you ride it also for fun/short distances then perhaps a splittable pack so you just plug in a booster pack when you go to work, and enjoy a lightweight machine in the meantime?

Hope this helps...

tigger3015 said:
thanks guys it is going to be alittle while till i can aford everything

As a schoolkid working 15 hours a week, I feel your pain :(.

Back