KMX Cro + A123 + Adaptto Commuter

Pics album: http://imgur.com/j39k4lW,tUMuM6i,qoMeDOH,qZiWijD,QK7Jtcs,6aKRp5D,xI0TuMi,EpaSBTg,o0ZgvBg,p6BssTY,lbDj4Uz#10

And individual:
j39k4lW

tUMuM6i

qoMeDOH

qZiWijD

QK7Jtcs

6aKRp5D

xI0TuMi

EpaSBTg

o0ZgvBg

p6BssTY

lbDj4Uz

Surprisingly, the 20-25mph range is not much better than my 30-40mph range. But 25wh/mi keeping up with city traffic and with hard acceleration, regen stops is typical. I have a solid 40 miles per charge no matter how hard I ride... unless perhaps it was top speed uphill the whole way. But for a round trip, that's pretty much guaranteed range.

I'm going to rework the battery box at some point.

My controller randomly quit the other day, as I rolled into the lot. Andrey thinks it's a short in the 12v bus. Response and willingness to help has been very good. Shipping it back tomorrow. It's weird to have lost the fastest-accelerating thing I own =(

Ouch! Looks gnarly, but I'm glad you're okay. I think it was definitely her fault. I rode with a flag, have tons of 3m reflective tape everywhere, and a 1000 lumen headlight and an admittedly cheap tail light... and I've thought about using an arduino to make a flashy light whip, but I like the looks of those atv whips. I think I'll eventually get a rear turn/light setup, whip, and headlight all for 12v power and run it off the dc-dc on my adaptto. We'll see.

m4s73r said:
I wonder if a 3 speed switch would change your range. Reduce your voltage output to 60 or 48v should increase your range.

No easy way to reduce voltage but I do have highly programmable throttle profiles: I can set phase/battery amp limits, dampening, acceleration limits, speed limits...

I ran with a top speed of 25mph and maximum ten amps on my 94 mile trip to a nearby city for my graduate school interview the other week... lots of pedaling, and I discovered after I arrived that I had some serious rubbing going on by my idlers that, together with the ridiculously cold weather, explains the sharp decline in wh toward the end. A screw backed out of the main idler and was rubbing against the chain tube support arm...don't know how I failed to hear it, but it ground through a reasonably thick bar of soft aluminum. I JB-welded it back on and it's plenty strong.

My controller display shut off as I rolled home the other day, literally worked the whole way and shut off when I tried to reverse into my spot. Andrey thinks it's the 12v rail in the display. Can't find water ingress inside it, at any rate he is readily accepting it for repair despite his recent hardship. I don't like shipping international because there's no way to track the package once it leaves the country... but such is the manner of the beast. I can't wait to get it back! At least the weather is nice enough for my 29er again, it's bizarre to be so high up again. It rolls way better at low speed with those narrow tires but above 12mph I feel like I'm dragging a giant kite. Vastly different.

Part of me really wants to put together a couple bikes with a Bafang bbso2 and easily removable battery, like cell mans dual MAC build. A fat bike for trails and a roadie for tours. I could have spare bottom brackets for each so they'd share the motor and battery and be relatively easily "convertible" depending on the season.

I might miss the ridiculously fast acceleration and regen I have now though. I had to drive the car to pick up my wife today and it seriously feels gutless, slow, and awkward... yet people are far less eager to pass and keep up with me! The only thing it's better at is potholes.

Heard from Andrey today that the failure with the controller was a result of water ingress. Which is not warrantied. Ouch. I thought I read it was waterproof, and I didn't think it got much rain on it sitting under my seat, but it must have. The issue was on my end. Should get it back soonish... and when I do, I'm plasti-dipping the ever-loving s**t out of it. More mountaintop photos will come as soon as I get it back. I miss my baby... a LOT.

Holy crapcakes, I got the controller back and plasti-dipped all the seams with black spray-on, let it set, then strapped everything up.

OH MY GOSH I forgot how fun this is, also, this thing rolls REALLY REALLY well when it's not freezing cold and the roads aren't awful. Seriously. I can pedal up to 20mph and maintain that speed for at least 2 miles before dropping down to 15mph average. GPS confirmed. That is about the best I typically do on my 29er unless I stand up and really sprint. And I am on a 100lb KMX with a Cromotor and motorcycle tires. And my chain was still rusty from setting. It definitely has less wind resistance. And it handles so damn well!

I think this is why it's so much better now: http://www.recumbents.com/mars/pages/proj/tetz/other/Crr.html

Before, it was so draggy that I couldn't maintain speed pedaling it down a 4% grade, much less on flat ground. But that was below freezing weather. Now it's like I'm floating. It was 60F out. And I was riding with way less pressure than before. Low enough to take a curb at 10mph without thinking twice. Crazy! I wonder if I could make the 76 mile ride to Pullman on a single charge, now? I may have just averaged 60wh/mi but I was absolutely roaring down back roads in the middle of the night-- my phone strobing to the rear with it's super-bright LED, my 1000 lumen flashlight strobing to the front... maintained 53mph steady, yet it was so quiet, I could hear all the insects and small animals rustling through the grass as I rode on by... great ride, on a road that is literally called "Rural Route 5".

I'm celebrating with a bottle of Uinta Labyrinth...

Next stop: Mount Spokane. I have three days off here next week so I'm going to pack a breakfast the night before, get everything set, then pedal out to the base while it's still dark and motor on up to enjoy the sunset 2800' over my home. Have some cold press and a torpedo at the top after I eat. Mmmmhmm.

So I developed a squeak in my Cromotor. Or so I thought... think? Brake was kind enough to lend me his 3arm puller and I swapped the bearings out in my motor, as one was smooth but the other was off. His build is promising. Had a chat. Replaced both bearings. Yet, exactly as before, there's a terribly annoying squeak occurring about once a rotation. I can't find it... and it's driving me nuts. Happens between 5-18mph. The only speeds I'm at when I'm around peds to annoy.

Oh, and it only happens when I'm on the bike. Running the motor no-load, it's silent. Any ideas?

Could it be the spokes into the rim? Hard to believe its the motor, with new bearings. Only when loaded makes me wonder. Hmmmm

Got a solid fiber-optic pole and quick-disconnect mount with an LED emitter in it, wired up a broken USB charger to the driver and it runs at 40% capacity until I wire up the full-size headlight. Still quite bright, it's a nice omnidirectional red, "I'M HERE" light to the masses at night. I broke 3 bicycle flags till now but this is super heavy duty and I won't worry about it any more.

Had a random guy come up to me today and ask if I had a motor on my bike. I said yes and he asked if it only went up to 19. I said I have different profiles and speed is configurable. He said, "Me too, but mine could smoke your bike because mine has just over 5 horsepower. I ride it to the golf course every weekend.". I nodded, smiled, didn't say anything about my power levels, said goodbye, and then pulled a 13kw exit onto an empty arterial (this was ~1am) in BOOST while smiling inside.

Brake machined me some nice clamping torque arms, after talking to a couple guys and getting excited about having them welded on I'm thinking I might wait until I have my own garage and welder after I move here in a few weeks. A month from now, I'll already be oriented in my lab rotation at grad school... freaky! Bring on the grizzly bears!.... with thick metal between us, please.

Pics of flag and TAs: http://imgur.com/Lef339V,e4TEJa1#0

Your trike weighs exactly 100 lbs?

If so, that's good news for my build, although the CroMotor is overkill from hell(and very heavy).

Did you ever time its acceleration? 0-10, 20, 30, 40, and 50 mph?

How heavy and of what type are your wheels and tires? How much power(kW, A, and V) are you applying to your motor?

25 wh/mi is excellent economy for such an unfared beast, and I know what's possible if drag coefficient is cut to 25% of its current level, and a decent amount of pedal assist is added as well...

I'm very curious about your machine, because my first and second are going to be very similar to it.

Approximately, probably a few over now, with rack and bags and whatnot. Don't have a scale anymore and my last wasn't accurate anyway but it came to 95.

I've tried to time acceleration, but the watching the display and riding can be hard, plus the display doesn't update fast enough to be accurate. 0-30 in under 3 seconds is just possible. OVS increases torque before you even hit your "top" speed. 43mph in my case, but with OVS... I passed 70mph on a downgrade and old firmware. I'm using a Pirelli ML75 in the rear, and similar thickness 14" slicks up front.

24s A123 pack (80v nominal, virtually no sag) and 150A, I've pulled 14kw peak.

25wh/mi definitely requires throttle discipline =)

I guess I got it in my head that you'd be doing a mid-drive (which are definitely better for low-speed efficiency)

Does the texas weight limit include cargo? It seems unreasonable to include cargo. Yet, if it does, in the case that an officer actually stops you to weigh your ebike (which sounds like you have reason to expect, but I've never heard of in the USA) then that could serve as an excuse.

xenodius said:
Approximately, probably a few over now, with rack and bags and whatnot. Don't have a scale anymore and my last wasn't accurate anyway but it came to 95.

95 is a good weight. You'd only need to lose 5 lbs to fit a good shell...

That CroMotor is 24 lbs.

I've tried to time acceleration, but the watching the display and riding can be hard, plus the display doesn't update fast enough to be accurate. 0-30 in under 3 seconds is just possible.

That's faster than most cars.

OVS increases torque before you even hit your "top" speed. 43mph in my case, but with OVS... I passed 70mph on a downgrade and old firmware. I'm using a Pirelli ML75 in the rear, and similar thickness 14" slicks up front.

From where did you obtain these slicks? Any special wheels needed to accommodate them(Make? Model?)?

24s A123 pack (80v nominal, virtually no sag) and 150A, I've pulled 14kw peak.

That's f***cking awesome. Any videos to share of it being ridden?

For my first prototype, I'm thinking somewhere around 48v, but that will really be determined by the availability of, operating range of, and peak/continuous power ratings of motors 10 lbs and under. I want a 10 lb or less motor capable of 10 hp peak and 2 hp cont. The Astroflight 3220 definitely meets the peak power requirement at 15hp with 44.4V, and weight requirement at only 5 lbs(add a little extra for the mid drive components), but what is its continuous rating? Any other motors that meet this need? I'm still searching.

25wh/mi definitely requires throttle discipline =)

I expect that condition! A steady 30 mph in a vehicle capable of almost twice that speed that will require that throttle discipline anyhow. Without it, I don't get the needed range, and can become a target for law enforcement to harass. With it, I plod along at 30 mph all day long on some country road, and make it to my destination.

I guess I got it in my head that you'd be doing a mid-drive (which are definitely better for low-speed efficiency)

Yes, I am heavily leaning towards one, but only for the efficiency and weight reduction.

If there is a < 10 lbs hub motor out there which can make at least 10 hp peak for ~20 seconds, and 2 hp cont, with good efficiency at low speeds, and costs under $600, I would be very interested. I like the simplicity and silent operation that a hub motor can allow, it will make it easier to get on the road as an ev, and the regen would help with range. However, the hub motors I've seen so far that are capable of meeting my power requirements are too heavy.

My first motor will only see 1 kW electrical input, but when I put it in the 2nd prototype, I want to simply re-program the controller and voila, be pumping 10+ kW peak electrically to the motor and making 10+ mechanical horsepower.

I want to be able to re-use all of my EV parts on the first build prototype for the second final build. This keeps cost down.

Does the texas weight limit include cargo?

None that I'm aware of.

It seems unreasonable to include cargo. Yet, if it does, in the case that an officer actually stops you to weigh your ebike (which sounds like you have reason to expect, but I've never heard of in the USA) then that could serve as an excuse.

Yes, but I want the operating bike by itself, with everything needed to make it go, including body, to have a dry weight of not more than 100 lbs, to the ounce, preferably with a good 2-3 lb margin.

If weight becomes too much of an issue, I can always "store" a replacement battery in my backpack to "re-fuel" in the middle of a long trip, without having to plug in. Covering 300 miles in one day is the goal. Austin is ~220 miles from me, and I'd like to be able to make that trip in < 9 hours on one charge. A 300 mile range at 30 mph with some pedaling is preferred, but I could settle for a 150 mile range instead, if I had to, and swap a fresh battery when my first one was depleted, and charge the depleted one at a restaurant or something when the opportunity arose.

The battery also has to be removable so that I can legally ride it as a pedal-only velomobile in states where the vehicle would be illegal as an ebike in any capacity at all(like Missouri, Connecticut, or New York), without having to take the vehicle apart.

So far, the most surprising thing is how little I actually feel bumps in the road. I thought I'd be wishing I had suspension the whole time, but I only feel front-wheel impact through the handlebars, not much through the seat. Potholes are no problem!

The roads in Washington must be well-maintained... This was such an issue here in Canada that I finally had to make a custom front suspension for my KMX.

kmx-trike-suspension_800x600.jpg

kmx-trike-suspension_B_800x600.jpg

Would you mind sending me a parts list for that suspension? I might decide to build one similar to it for my project at a later date.

How well does this suspension work at higher speeds or over potholes? What speeds do you feel safe travelling at and under what environmental conditions?

As soon as the snow is gone, I will make a video of the suspension in action. It improved the stability at high speed and I no longer fear the bumps, crack and potholes on the road.

That being said, the bike speed is limited by the battery voltage ( 60km/h, 37 Mph ), so I have no experience above that speed.

For the environmental condition, I never ride under the rain as I have no mudguard, but it is safe over Ice and snow.

I plan to make a product out of it and it will be around the price of the Ice suspension.

Back