Kona Minute WooHoo finally bought my Ebike

Danschutz

10 W
Wyoming. We have at least 6 months of winter follo
After reading, searching, asking and pm-ing members here I finally completed my list of what to buy. Well after all that I stumble on this Kona Min-Ute for sale and after talking with the owner she said it was ridden maybe 5 times and it was simply to big for her. Once I arrived I understood a lot more why she was selling it. She is a very petite little lady that is near the end of her second battle with cancer. The bike has a complete Electric Rider 4825 Brute kit installed by a local bike shop and they did an amazing job installing the kit. She also purchased the Lifepo4 15ah battery and 2 chargers, the bike came with everything that was originally removed including the tires. Everything is so new the stickers on the hub are still there and still bright white.

Impressions thus far on the Kona is still mixed. Ive never owned a cargo styled bike and honestly everything on this bike will be moved to something more dirt worthy with an addition of a new controller from Lyen and lighter more powerful battery. With so much weight in the rear of the bike you feel a slight wobble at low speeds which really hampers the control of the bike, feels wiggly and squiggly lol. Even with the 28 inch tires the torque isn't to bad from a start but when you rolling the torque feels really good. Speaking of tires I failed to check the width of tires on the bike but I believe that has a little something to do with the wobble. These rims are so thin that the tires are literally bulging, upon close inspection I can see a 4 inch section where the bead isn't fully set on the rear tire. Yeah Im sure that's an issue.

I really like the bike although the one thing that needs attending to before I ride it any distance is both front and rear brakes need adjusting the caliper grabs the disk without applying pressure to the lever, when you free spin the front wheel it only spins a few a couple times before coming to a stop. All the levers, gears, frame ergonomics and even the seat are really nice. Other than the wobble it feels like a workhorse that's for sure.

Now with 2 Electric bikes, 1 Hybrid Camry and even a battery powered mower I guess the wife and I really have gone electric lol.

More to follow as I get to explore the new ride.

Pic!

Dan L.

Yeah not sure why they added height to the battery.

So.
My first issue popped up. I just made it to the other side of my block and the bike was running great. I thought I'd double check to make sure the APM was set for 28 inch wheels. After confirming this by going through the menu the bike barely wanted to move. I shut it down and disconnected the battery and then plugged it back in and it still had no power. APM showed everything was in tip top shape then again with the throttle and now nothing, dead throttle.

Peddled back to the house and spun the rear wheel and it was tight. Loosened the rear brake and eventually just removed the entire caliper. The wheel now spins by hand using just a little force and then it frees up for a second and then back to using a little force to turn it. Feels like a bent rotor would feel but the caliper isn't there.

Please help! Super happy to bummed lol.

Thanks guys!
Dan L.

Back