KT controller 48V/22A phase amps limit

nikolay

10 mW
I bought front hub motor rated 36V/250W but I will run it on 48V/22A KT controller (9 FET) to get a bit more speed on the flat. This motor (Bafang G01) is rated at 32 Nm torque and according to ebikes.ca simulator it will need 35A phase current to sustain these 32 Nm. However on the original KT firmware you can't control the phase currents, so I am wondering how to make it reliable and not strip the gears. For example if the controller can do 45A phase amps this means it will go to 42 Nm and can strip the gears eventually...

Of course I can take it easy on the startup but it's good to know what this controller is providing as phase current. The only thing I can control is current limit of the controller but not phase current and there is vague option in the settings "one, two or three level slow start current limit" whatever that means - I guess it just introduce some levels of limit of amps based on speed like 3 steps of increasing current limit but which limit? If it's phase current - good, but if it limits battery current it's not helpful to keep the torque at acceptable level as battery current is still low on low rpms. I don't plan to limit max current initially which is not really an issue for the torque.

Anyone knows what is the phase current limit for these KT controllers for 48V/22A (9FET)? Is there any option to control this phase current (using original KT firmware) and do you know what exactly these "one, two or three level slow start current limit" means in the settings?

Thank you.

"one, two or three level slow start current limit"...I've tried these options on MAC motor. They reduce the phase current (In my opinion)

That's good, so there is some option to control the initial torque. Still I can't find any specs what is the max phase current these controllers can provide. Is it 2, 3, 4 times 22A...

I see on one of the motor phases there is current shunt and some IC but I can't see the marking. So the controller should have schematic and probably limit the current in some way. I guess one option to limit it is the slow start option and when you are on torque simulation pas mode it senses there the phase current in order to make estimation of the motor torque.

Attachments

• kt_phase_current.jpg
    kt_phase_current.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 940
Back