Kuberg Free Rider

I know one dealer has a demo bike in uk. I really think that the customers who preordered this bike and paid in full nearly 2 years ago should be sent theirs before dealers get stock to sell!

The latest word that I have gotten is that they will be here next week. Only time will tell.

I was told that I would receive an email with shipping information and my 2 free-riders should arrive at the pick-up location (too expensive to ship to a residential location) on Monday or Tuesday. But I have not received an email so I am doubtful they will arrive by Tuesday. I'm thinking they are still a week away. The weather is rainy and cold here so not too concerned over the delay.

I bet you never thought you'd see the day =)
Congratulations. Hope they are all that was promised! :D

Not much to report today. The weather is rainy and cold so I am not going to take them out today but it is suppose to be dry tomorrow. When they were take out of the box, one came with a small manual and the other came with a large different manual. Today after work I put the handle bars on the second one. I am adding 2 more pictures to note a discrepancy. One has the speed control (novice, sport, and race) on the side with a K sticker and one has it on the top without a K sticker. I wonder what else I will discover? For future reference, my son is 5'8" and weighs about 116 lbs. I am 5'8" and weigh about 185 lbs.

That's cool. I had a chat with them yesterday and asked about the resistance to water as its tained here for like 2 months! The free rider is IP67 rated which is good

Weather was awesome today. 70 degrees and dry. Keep in mind this is straight out of the box. No charge, no adjustments, just unscrew 4 screws put the handle bars in place and screw 4 screws. The first night between my son, 16 years old (5'8" 115 lbs) and I, 50 year old woman (5'8" 185 lbs)we rode one for about 5 minutes. Today, first I rode the bike with the button on the top. In novice mode, I rode about 45 minutes on the street. Take off is slow and the bike reaches about 20 miles per hour (guessing). It was smooth and fun. Then I switched to ride mode. The throttle was much more reactive. When I gave it throttle it accelerated much faster however it stuttered and lost power. The light on the "gas tank" blinked red when it lost power. I rode about a quarter of a mile in this mode. Accelerating then stuttering and repeating. It still ran fine in novice mode. Remember I did not charge them and it may have been low on battery. I then got on the other bike, the one with the button on the side. I rode it about 5 minutes in novice mode. It seemed a little faster. Then I switched to ride mode. Watch out. It accelerated great and it is FAST. I was too nervous to stay on full throttle for long. I am guessing it was going 30 miles per hour. Again I was only riding on a street in my neighborhood. The street is hilly and it takes a lot of effort to ride a bike up the hill. No problem for the free-rider. It was really fun to pull out slowly behind a car and easily catch up with them. Super fun. I am not a competent bicycle rider (it has been years) and my last motorcycle was a Ural with a side car so I don't want to over ride my skill level, so I stuck to the street and had a blast riding around starting off slow or from a stop and accelerating quickly is a thrill. It is a little noisier than I imagined but not bad. The deer were not scared but definitely looked. My initial impression is that the free riders are AWESOME. The seat, however, is NOT comfortable. My crotch is sore and my legs will be sore from holding my crotch off the seat so I could continue to ride. It will not stop me from riding. I am charging the one that stuttered and lost power for a few hours tonight and will try it again tomorrow (weather permitting). I am also planning to read about how to adjust the shocks (I should have done this before I rode but I was too busy and excited). Let me know if you have any questions that I can try and answer for you.

Thats great! glad you are having fun on them.

I cant wait to get mine now, you must be one of the first in the world to get the full production ones as there are no pics or yuotube vids knocking about. It might say in the manual what the red light is but i bet its relating to the Battery Managment System. As the batteries are LiPO they are not save to be discharged beyond a certain point so they should be monitored and the bike shut down at this point. I bet it will be fine again once fully charged. If i can resist, i will fully charge it before even my first ride.

My lads Trial E has a flat, i must sort that out this weekend in case mine arrives next week.

I spent a little time yesterday exploring mudguard options for it so will post when i find something that fits.

Today's update. Unfortunately, it was not lack of charging causing the problems with one of the Free-Riders. I only had about 30 minutes of daylight after work. I rode it in ride mode. It seems to be dragging then it feels like it slips and then it stalls. At one point, I was stopped and giving it throttle and nothing happened until I released the throttle and rolled it forward and gave it throttle again. I have a call into the US contact. Because it is different looking than it should be (button on the top) I wonder if I got a pre-production model. I am charging the other one now and will be ready to ride some tomorrow schedule permitting.

I've got a question about your "Pickup location." I guess we'd all be looking at having one if we ordered. Are you saying THEY chose it? Where was it? Did you have the option of picking where? Oops, more than one. . . .

They told me where to pick it up. I probably could have been demanding but it really wasn't a big deal to me. He stated that delivering to a residential address was very expensive. Since I am in Texas and the bikes arrived Stateside in Portland, I was just happy shipping was included. The delivery location was in the city where I live and about 25 miles away. On another note, I notified Kelly Knipe about the trouble one bike is having and he immediately emailed back and said he forwarded the email to the technicians. He has been very helpful and responsive. I have contacted him every day since they arrived to ask questions and to report back to him.

I hope they can quickly sort out the problems you are having with one of them. At least you have a backup bike you can carry on playing on!

Jon

Another Free Rider owner here. Quick little review, I've only had it a couple days. Out of the box it's super solid and not over engineered. I bought it to rip around my residential neighborhood in stealth mode and it does that perfectly. I've been riding mountain and dirt bikes forever so setup and ride quality are a big part.

The ergonomics out of the box felt strange. The handlebars are somewhat narrow at 25" and the stem is short with no rise. it's not a bad setup but I wanted the bike to fit me more so I switched the stem and bars out. Good thing is you can basically go to any bike store and get these parts because it's all standard size. No odd proprietary parts. Right now I have a 29" bar with a 90mm stem that has 6deg of rise and I threw in an extra 5mm spacer under the stem to lift the bars up some more. Now I can really throw the bike around with some confidence.

Suspension wise you just do the normal protocol. Set your air in the fork and sag on the rear along with however you like comp/rebound.

The only thing I'm working on now is getting a little more width on the pegs. This is where I fault Kuberg. Your feet have to have some width between them so you can have some stability. I'm gonna get some peg extensions to get my feet out wider.

Overall I'm super happy with this bike. I was really worried it was gonna be a 4K dud but I had to take the chance and glad I did.

I'll get some running video up shortly as well. Let me know if you'll have questions. I've been having a lot of fun ripping this thing everywhere!

Yeah thats a great video.

David, did you take some before and after pics. When i get mine im going to take it to the local bike shop to fit out a front mudguard to keep it a bit cleaner. Something like the Crud Fast Fender might work, fixing points on those forks with those small wheels are going to be a challenge.

Did you get the fork pump with the bike? if no, will a 12V air compressor do the trick? I saw a good guide online somewhere for air pressure and rider weight

I am not David but mine did not come with a pump. I took one of mine (the one that I am allowed to ride) to a bike shop to have my shock adjusted and explained. I was told not to use a regular pump that I would need to get one specially designed for shocks. (He recommended using one with the gauge attached. They are better.) My shock was already at the correct pressure for my weight. He made sure everything was tightened. Everything was good except the bolt that holds the thing that can be changed to adjust tightness in the chain. He tightened it. He also added some air to the tires. As payment he took the bike for a ride. He is 6'2" and 230 lbs. He rode in novice mode and was very impressed with the torque.

Back