Laser Gun Project

Heard that laser weapons are banned from military use, something about it being unfair to blind the enemy, http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protocol_on_Blinding_Laser_Weapons
but still appears to be ok to blow their head off with a 50 cal, or many other barbaric methods, why do I get the feeling this is all about sales.

Imagining a pulsed green, temporary blinding laser, with a sight, taking out a sniper trying to get you at 2km away, looking through the sight, he wouldn't have a chance against even a relatively low powered laser.

is that actually true?

The only reason I can think laser might not work because it gives away the position of the enemy... Even infra-red
But then you see on movies, Small balls that pulse laser rays in every direction.. now that would be something they could use like a grenade/flashbang..

I know looking at a laser at night will completely kill you're night vision for sometime if you're not wearing safety glasses.

nechaus said:
is that actually true?
That's what the link states.
Why would they want to ban disabling weapons, instead of killing weapons, strange?
Same as the space based, energy weapons of the 'star wars' Reagan' era.
Blockers on them, because the other nations are disadvantaged in global nuclear annihilation standoff, WTF.

nechaus said:
The only reason I can think laser might not work because it gives away the position of the enemy... Even infra-red.
But then you see on movies, Small balls that pulse laser rays in every direction.. now that would be something they could use like a grenade/flashbang..
I know looking at a laser at night will completely kill you're night vision for sometime if you're not wearing safety glasses.
The laser can be a split second pulse and do damage and yeh it depends on the wavelength, to the protection required, green can be more damaging to eyesight (don't no the specifics of damage) due to an affinity for mainly seeing green in our environment.
Security forces still use green dazzlers to disorientate.
Read that the chinese had equipment that locks on to the laser sights of conventional weapons and lasers back at them.

Yes and non laser type flash grenades are a different beast altogether.

I just read that !

The eye protection I have will be no good for the Blue 445nm spectrum..
I find it bloody interesting!. I am looking through my chemistry book but nothing about it.. Must be in some physics text book's which I don't have.

Also from the wiki regarding "laser" that struck me as funny...

A laser which produces light by itself is technically an optical oscillator rather than an optical amplifier as suggested by the acronym. It has been humorously noted that the acronym LOSER, for "light oscillation by stimulated emission of radiation", would have been more correct.[5] With the widespread use of the original acronym as a common noun, actual optical amplifiers have come to be referred to as "laser amplifiers", notwithstanding the apparent redundancy in that designation.

"Blasting you out of the sky with my loser gun" just lacks that oomph. :p

nechaus said:
I just read that !

The eye protection I have will be no good for the Blue 445nm spectrum..
I find it bloody interesting!. I am looking through my chemistry book but nothing about it.. Must be in some physics text book's which I don't have.
Found this link interesting, particularly the documented low risk and recoveries from laser pointer eye damage.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_safety

melodious said:
"Blasting you out of the sky with my loser gun" just lacks that oomph. :p
:lol:
If a cop said stop or I'll TOSE you, probably fall to the ground in laughter, doesn't quite have the same harshness as TASE, somehow.

Got my 5W infrared laser module, that little psu earlier, should supply it nicley, from a few lifepo

nechaus said:
THANK YOU!
that safety link is exactly what I needed. Going to understand even more as well. :D

No worries, hope your having a good day up there.
Were all good down here now Tony Abbott flew in, got his hose out and pissed on all our bush fires and theyr'e out now, what a legend :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thank you and yes, Very good day.

On another note, My Electricity bill is going to give me a heart attack, Air con has not been turned off since mid December.

Yes, the safety eyewear MUST match the wavelength of the laser to be effective.

I considered an infrared laser and have a big diode array in the junk box. One issue is the beam is invisible, so difficult to focus. If you use a cheap monochrome TV camera, you should be able to see out to 900nm or so. Viewing through a display is a safety feature as well. I checked out some backup cameras made for cars on eBay that looked like they would work.

I was wondering if this is possible?
Reflecting the light in my backyard for the purpose of a funky photo.
Will the 2watt diode be enough? or will there be to much attenuation ?
I guess i could use smoke

Attachments

• beaming.jpg
    beaming.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 2,215
fechter said:
Yes, the safety eyewear MUST match the wavelength of the laser to be effective.

I considered an infrared laser and have a big diode array in the junk box. One issue is the beam is invisible, so difficult to focus. If you use a cheap monochrome TV camera, you should be able to see out to 900nm or so. Viewing through a display is a safety feature as well. I checked out some backup cameras made for cars on eBay that looked like they would work.
Thanks fetcher, I was just using it mainly for burning, but yeh be good to be able to see the beam, could mod a surplus digital camera too.

Most color cameras have an IR filter that will block those wavelengths. You can test with a remote control from a TV. The black and white cameras with "night vision" don't have a filter.

fechter said:
Most color cameras have an IR filter that will block those wavelengths. You can test with a remote control from a TV. The black and white cameras with "night vision" don't have a filter.
Yes I am going to remove the filter, have so many old digital cameras around the house, be good recycling one :mrgreen:

I've bought from DTR as well, great vendor. The cheap ebay CCCV regulators don't do a good job of regulating current on startup though, they will toast a laser over time. You can visibly see the brighter flicker when it powers on, especially when the driver is turned down to 50% of rated output. I suggest using a driver meant specifically for laser diodes.

I built a little handlheld zippo lighter style laser burner. Really fun little "toy". I also have a safety switch on it so it doesn't kick on in my pocket.

johnrobholmes said:
I've bought from DTR as well, great vendor. The cheap ebay CCCV regulators don't do a good job of regulating current on startup though, they will toast a laser over time. You can visibly see the brighter flicker when it powers on, especially when the driver is turned down to 50% of rated output. I suggest using a driver meant specifically for laser diodes.

Yes, I've noticed the transient on startup also. I run the diode at about 80% of the rating to help keep from toasting it.
I've tried a few approaches to make the circuit soft-start. So far, the best thing has been to just hang a big capacitor across the output. 2,200uF seems to take out most of the transient.

nechaus said:
I was wondering if this is possible?
Reflecting the light in my backyard for the purpose of a funky photo.
Will the 2watt diode be enough? or will there be to much attenuation ?
I guess i could use smoke

I think it will work without smoke. It will be hard to align all the mirrors.

Still waiting on the diode to arrive, probably take ages, I really can't wait so excited.

Going to make a dick of myself and get some star wars costumes lol :? :shock:

nechaus said:
Still waiting on the diode to arrive, probably take ages, I really can't wait so excited.
There was a kit, thinking Jaycar a while back, with two mirror tiles stuck offset on the ends of two toy motors with a variable speed driver.
A laser shone into a mirror as the motors rotated giving some wicked and different light shows dependent upon speed settings.

nechaus said:
Going to make a dick of myself and get some star wars costumes lol :? :shock:
That might be classed kinky and illegal, the Newman government, might arrest you, make you wear a pink jump suit instead and put you inside with the bikies :wink:

OK, just for fun I tried cutting some butter with it. The 445nm wavelength does not absorb well in butter. I also noticed after a melted spot was formed, there was a lot of reflection of the beam off the liquid surface. After zapping a spot for several seconds, it eventually melted the surface for several millimeters around the spot. Perfect if you wanted to weld two pieces of butter together. It would take a long time to melt all the way through.

It works really well to cut pieces of nylon webbing. It melts the end so it doesn't fray without setting it on fire.

fechter said:
OK, just for fun I tried cutting some butter with it. The 445nm wavelength does not absorb well in butter. I also noticed after a melted spot was formed, there was a lot of reflection of the beam off the liquid surface. After zapping a spot for several seconds, it eventually melted the surface for several millimeters around the spot. Perfect if you wanted to weld two pieces of butter together. It would take a long time to melt all the way through.

It works really well to cut pieces of nylon webbing. It melts the end so it doesn't fray without setting it on fire.

Thanks for posting this, kinda allows me to visualise it better

Back