• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Lipo nightmares

veloman

10 MW
Who else has bad dreams about lipo? I had one last night, where each of my packs was gasing off for no reason. I was frantic getting them outside on something that wouldn't burn, holding my breath trying to not breath in the fumes. My family was around too, so I was worried about the lipo danger. I was mad as I had checked all the voltages and they were safe, so it made no sense!

Damn lipo entering my dreams! :evil:

Here is my standard spiel:

1) never overcharge lipo
2) never overdischarge lipo far below 3.0v & then try to use it again.
3) always run new lipo through a few cycles on a balancing charger & graph the discharge to see if you have bad cells that could lead to #2. This will also rule out cells that are bad from manufacture.
4) never discharge lipo at more than half it's rated C constant.. IE for a 20C pack, never run it higher than 10C constant.
5) never puncture the packs.
6) never let the cells sit at 90%-100% charge for longer than a few days.

Follow these rules and the chances of having a lipo fire is somewhere near winning the lottery or getting stuck by lightning twice.

Now if you want piece of mind, #3 is the most pertinent thing. Discharge graph all your packs and determine if you're going to have future problems with a pack. If not, you have piece of mind! If you have a bad pack, you can charge it to 50% SOC and let it sit indefinitely until you find a use for the cells.

I've put about 3 80% DOD cycles on my packs. Is it too late to do #3? How do you graph it?

My cells are always within .05 (usually .03) of each other after use. If there was a weak cell, wouldn't it be off more?

My only real worry is that I get a bad cell while riding. I store my packs in a fire safe in my room and I'm always there when charging.

veloman said:
Who else has bad dreams about lipo? I had one last night, where each of my packs was gasing off for no reason. I was frantic getting them outside on something that wouldn't burn, holding my breath trying to not breath in the fumes. My family was around too, so I was worried about the lipo danger. I was mad as I had checked all the voltages and they were safe, so it made no sense!

I go to bed and have no worries about my batteries, A123 is LIFEPO4 nano tech 30c continuous discharge, it powers the quickest electric bike in the world Killacycle!!

veloman said:

You are less likely to have issues whilst discharging, charge them safely and store them safely, my house is full of lithium polymer, its also full of pipes full of gas, I have a gas boiler that might leak toxic fumes, I live in an attached dwelling with elderly folks next door who may leave something on the stove, I ride a motorbike, I ride an ebike, my house has stairs, I like to drink, I have 230V within inches of my fingers all the time....you get my point

I am glad Grizzly sleeps well at night but hope he has fresh batteries in his smoke alarm, no chemistry is 100% safe, pretty much all of the emotogp paddock use lithium not A123 cells, oh and A123 cells burn also.

Just take simple precautions and treat your batteries like the can of petrol you run your lawnmower with, its that simple as long as your lawn mower isnt electric :lol: Grizzly is a certified Lipo hater so dont expect anything other than his one sided beliefs.

Hmm, maybe you just need more lithium,,,, in your diet.

Or you dream more now that you aren't so exhausted from pedaling 30 miles.

Set up the reasonable precautions and you should be fine. If nothing else, a small portable bbq grill can make a nice lipo bunker for storage. Something that keeps some metal and an air gap between the walls, floor, curtains. A metal toolbox on a cinderblock, clay flowerpot with a tile or metal lid, metal 5 gallon bucket. So many ways to store the lipo in a firebox for nearly no money.

Then you can stop worrying.

I do have a small fire safe that I store them in. Got it for $5 since the owner lost the key. Charging in it is difficult though, those damn balance leads are so short. (need to get an extender)

I mainly use a lifepo4 pack, but my lipo is there for those long trips and some play time with a light bike.

Did you tell your insurance company just how dangerous your life is? Now we'll all have nightmares about being Knoxie! :mrgreen:

Jozz

knoxie said:
veloman said:

You are less likely to have issues whilst discharging, charge them safely and store them safely, my house is full of lithium polymer, its also full of pipes full of gas, I have a gas boiler that might leak toxic fumes, I live in an attached dwelling with elderly folks next door who may leave something on the stove, I ride a motorbike, I ride an ebike, my house has stairs, I like to drink, I have 230V within inches of my fingers all the time....you get my point

I am glad Grizzly sleeps well at night but hope he has fresh batteries in his smoke alarm, no chemistry is 100% safe, pretty much all of the emotogp paddock use lithium not A123 cells, oh and A123 cells burn also.

Just take simple precautions and treat your batteries like the can of petrol you run your lawnmower with, its that simple as long as your lawn mower isnt electric :lol: Grizzly is a certified Lipo hater so dont expect anything other than his one sided beliefs.

Never too late to do #3. a hyperion, icharger, or other mid-high end charger can do the discharge graph i'm talking about.

neptronix said:
Never too late to do #3. a hyperion, icharger, or other mid-high end charger can do the discharge graph i'm talking about.

I think I will buy one of those quality chargers. My HK Eco6-10 fan seems a little wacky, it makes a lot of noise for the first minute.

I'm probably going to buy more lipo, as I want to run 48v all the time and take a load off the lifepo4.

You won't regret the investment. These chargers can also be re-calibrated later on for a more accurate balance. Those hobbyking chargers come with crappy tolerance parts and that can't be fixed..
Eventually you will want to bulk charge with a big power supply/charger, so a 6S unit might do just fine for ya, as an occasional balancer.

I had my first lipo nightmare last night. I guess having over 20 packs laying in my basement right now brought it on. I'm not worried about lipo, but I guess hearing so many other peoples concerns brought it on.

Anyway, the nightmare started when I went to pick up a pack that had no cover on it. The pack felt soft and was already damaged and in the dream it felt like I made a bigger hole in it.

The pack started to feel warm so I figured let me throw this outside in case it ignites. I threw it outside and within seconds it was spraying flames out about 30 feet just close to the ground in all directions and was hitting my legs while I ran. It started to burn other things I had in my yard.

Mostly I have workmares. I dream I'm back at some job I had in the past. Wake up and go thank god that was just a dream.

I ate pizza the other night and had a dream i was living on a space ship locked into a certain job, i kept on trying to get onto earth but these drones took me back to the space ship to work.

It was pizza hut pizza, cheap and nasty

it was the most realistic dream i have ever had in my life.

Back