LiPoly powered 18HP Twin Motor Brushless MONSTER build!

John in CR said:
It's called income redistribution, and sorry to say but you can expect plenty more coming down the pipeline.
"Cap in Trade"? ----- "Socializm"?

This country is headed downhill and it is accellerating in that direction like Luke's bike at full throttle!

Matt

Hi,
John in CR said:
It's called income redistribution, and sorry to say but you can expect plenty more coming down the pipeline.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/26/business/yourmoney/26every.html
…Mr. Buffett compiled a data sheet of the men and women who work in his office. He had each of them make a fraction; the numerator was how much they paid in federal income tax and in payroll taxes for Social Security and Medicare, and the denominator was their taxable income. The people in his office were mostly secretaries and clerks, though not all.

It turned out that Mr. Buffett, with immense income from dividends and capital gains, paid far, far less as a fraction of his income than the secretaries or the clerks or anyone else in his office. Further, in conversation it came up that Mr. Buffett doesn’t use any tax planning at all. He just pays as the Internal Revenue Code requires. “How can this be fair?” he asked of how little he pays relative to his employees. “How can this be right?”

Even though I agreed with him, I warned that whenever someone tried to raise the issue, he or she was accused of fomenting class warfare.

“There’s class warfare, all right,” Mr. Buffett said, “but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning.”…

http://sociology.ucsc.edu/whorulesamerica/power/wealth.html
The Wealth Distribution

In the United States, wealth is highly concentrated in a relatively few hands. As of 2007, the top 1% of households (the upper class) owned 34.6% of all privately held wealth, and the next 19% (the managerial, professional, and small business stratum) had 50.5%, which means that just 20% of the people owned a remarkable 85%, leaving only 15% of the wealth for the bottom 80% (wage and salary workers).

I don't agree that Luke the reason Luke pays more taxes than the very wealthy is an attempt to redistribute income. They just want to keep everything they have.

MitchJi said:
They just want to keep everything they have.

Yes, this is true, but the progressive tax structure does suggest redistribution intents. The main deal with the very wealthy is that even though they do follow tax laws, they follow different tax strategies and special tax laws that apply to them which is relatively advantageous to them over employees and the "working class". For example, depreciation on equipment can be used as deductions on business income. Depreciation on ones personal car? Haha, employees don't get that luxury. Depreciation on their house? Nope. Businesses and their assets? Yes. That's just one tax advantage that they have. Businesses also have a far greater flexibility with what counts as deductible as far as goods go. Someone may buy, say, an ebike and they can't deduct that off their personal income. A business could buy the same ebike, declare it as research expenditure, and get the same deduction.

Hi,
swbluto said:
The main deal with the very wealthy is that even though they do follow tax laws, they follow different tax strategies and special tax laws that apply to them which is relatively advantageous to them over employees and the "working class".
Some of them do:
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/4/15/ubs
…
A former banker for the Swiss giant UBS who blew the whistle on the biggest tax evasion scheme in US history is asking President Obama today for clemency to coincide with Tax Day, the day US income tax returns are due for most people. In January, Bradley Birkenfeld began serving a forty-month sentence despite playing a key role in uncovering the bank scandal. He first came forward to US authorities in 2007 and began providing inside information on how UBS was helping thousands of Americans evade taxes by hiding billions of dollars in secret Swiss accounts

AMY GOODMAN: Due in part to information provided by Birkenfeld, UBS pleaded guilty last year and paid a $780 million fine. UBS has also agreed to turn over the names of the nearly 4,500 of its American clients to the Justice Department. Meanwhile, thousands of other Americans with unreported offshore accounts have been allowed to belatedly disclose them and pay civil penalties.

The jailing of Birkenfeld has angered many advocates of whistleblowers..…

http://www.democracynow.org/2010/4/16/ubs
…
Birkenfeld is serving a forty-month sentence despite playing a key role in exposing the biggest tax evasion scheme in US history.…

…Birkenfeld told me that the UBS bank that he worked for, the Swiss bank, actually had an office in Washington, DC, which the other bankers called the PEP office, which was for “politically exposed people.” And he claims it was an office that handled the offshore bank accounts of American politicians. He said he did not have the names of those politicians, because he didn’t actually work in that office and it was closely held, but it was well known that there were major American politicians, as well, that were hiding their money in Swiss bank accounts.

And he also said that UBS Americas, the US subsidiary, was directly involved in facilitating the recruitment of rich Americans to hide their bank—to hide their money in the Swiss parent company, that the UBS Americas would sponsor major society events and then invite the Swiss bankers over to mingle with the crowd of rich Americans, like Art Basel in Miami and other—the Boston Symphony events and others that the bank sponsored, and then invite the Swiss bankers over to recruit the rich Americans to put their money in Swiss banks.…

…And the issue, just once again, as you talk about these PEPs, politically exposed persons, who would have offshore bank accounts, how high up the connections of UBS goes, both in the Republican and Democratic parties?

JUAN GONZALEZ: Well, yeah. You have the fact that Robert Wolf, who was the chair of UBS Americas—or is the chair of UBS Americas, was the prime fundraiser and close confidante of Barack Obama, and still is, while the vice chair of UBS Americas is Phil Gramm, the—

AMY GOODMAN: Former Texas senator.

JUAN GONZALEZ: —former Texas senator, who was also the senior adviser, economic adviser, to John McCain during the presidential campaign. So you had the fact that the chairman of UBS Americas was a close adviser to Barack Obama, while the vice chair was a senior economic adviser to John McCain. So UBS had the bases covered with both political parties in the last election.

AMY GOODMAN: Perhaps why it didn’t become a campaign issue for either party when you had, in August, President—well, then-Senator Obama teeing off with UBS’s Wolf in Martha’s Vineyard at the same time, of course, though, McCain was with Phil Gramm.

JUAN GONZALEZ: And, of course, the real tragedy or the scandal of all this is that Bradley Birkenfeld, the guy who blew the whistle, who voluntarily came forward and gave the government all this information that made this continued investigation and now indictments of many who were involved in tax evasion, has gotten the biggest sentence. He is serving forty months in federal prison, while none of the executives of UBS have been brought to justice, and those rich Americans, 15,000 of them in the past year, in 2009, came forward to admit to the IRS that they were holding offshore accounts and basically paid fines. And about a half-dozen or so have already been indicted criminally, but they’ve all gotten a few months in jail or been allowed to pay fines, while the guy who blew the whistle on the whole thing, Bradley Birkenfeld, is sitting in a federal prison with a forty-month sentence.
…

MitchJi said:
Hi,
swbluto said:
The main deal with the very wealthy is that even though they do follow tax laws, they follow different tax strategies and special tax laws that apply to them which is relatively advantageous to them over employees and the "working class".

Some of them do.

I didn't say they necessarily followed the US's tax laws. :wink:

International tax arbitrage is also another tax strategy enjoyed almost exclusively by the wealthy.

october 29 2008....that's where it all left off...Just out of interest... are there any brushless controllers powerful enough Nowadays? I have seen a few threads on sevcon releasing something, i think it's vaporware but we should find out soon.. have you found any controllers that would be worth the 12kw motors you've got in mind?

liveforphysics said:
Kburn77 said:
I think Luke is using tabs/hooks to hold the chain off the cassette, and put the chain back on to pedal when needed.

Yep, it's crude. I use some zip-ties to keep the chain entirely off the front and rear sprockets. I have a little razor blade taped on the bottom of the battery pack, so in the event that I have controller failure (or whatever) then I can cut the zipties and pedal it back home.

It's a pretty crude method. It was mostly just something I fudged together so I could see what an electric bike would feel like with this sort of power. The new system will be using a pair of independent ENO freewheels on a 3-speed dual-drive SRAM hub. This will provide total drive system isolation between the pedals and the motor, and it will also enable me to have gearing to improve acceleration and top speed performance. :)

I use the Castle Creations HV160 controllers. I have seen 400 amps out of each controller. They run well. But, all of these RC controllers are sensorless and, therefore, are not 0 RPM runners. They require a touch of RPM to get going. Plus, though they do put out alot of power, they much be handled properly to survive. They do work, but, for how tiny they are, you gotta expect the durability is not as good as a larger EV controller.

We are all waiting for the Holy-Grail to arrive. :)

Matt

So the rear piece of tubing that holds up the armature... Is that a standard front rigid fork? if so then that's ingenious. Thick aluminium plates on one side would be terrific to hold up. Too bad about the gearing, this thing needs a sequential bam-bam-bam gear changer (it comes on some bicycles).

recumpence said:
I use the Castle Creations HV160 controllers. I have seen 400 amps out of each controller. They run well. But, all of these RC controllers are sensorless and, therefore, are not 0 RPM runners. They require a touch of RPM to get going. Plus, though they do put out alot of power, they much be handled properly to survive. They do work, but, for how tiny they are, you gotta expect the durability is not as good as a larger EV controller.

We are all waiting for the Holy-Grail to arrive. :)

Matt

novembersierra28 said:
So the rear piece of tubing that holds up the armature... Is that a standard front rigid fork? if so then that's ingenious.

IIRC Luke made all that himself from high grade aluminium.

There are several reasons behind this project stalling as Matt has touched upon reliable speed controllers being the main factor.

Luke is i believe running 100v on this beast i'm sure he has been playing with hall sensors on at least
one of the motors too. Whether we see this bike going again or a totally new even faster version remains to be seen
either way i'm sure it will be completely over the top, incredibly insane and pointless...and i can't wait !!!! hahaha

KiM

just my 2 cents, what about these esc's http://www.newkellycontroller.com/sensorless-controllers-c-64_66.html the 300 amp version could run tow of these motors could it not?

ev_nred said:
just my 2 cents, what about these esc's http://www.newkellycontroller.com/sensorless-controllers-c-64_66.html the 300 amp version could run tow of these motors could it not?

No... the rpm of the Turnigys is waaay higher than the Kellys are capable of

KiM

Btw Luke how is this thing coming just about ready for that video bahahahahaha 8) :lol: :wink: :mrgreen:

Arlo1 said:
Btw Luke how is this thing coming just about ready for that video bahahahahaha 8) :lol: :wink: :mrgreen:

LOL...yeah think we all stopped hoping for that 12 months ago :mrgreen:

ev_nred said:
isnt the kelly made for motorcycle whice have higer rmps?

I have never seen a motorcycle using Turnigy motors, most motorcycle conversion we see here used brushed motors for starters, Agnis usually with brushed kelly controllers or Alltrax controllers..Totally different to the Turnigy motor in question, Kelly dont make a controller that will work with this specific Turnigy motor the electrical rpm of the motor exceeds what the Kelly is capable of...

KiM

lostrack said:
Bump for people who haven't discovered this thread yet!

If you like this thread, you would really like my newest creation. :)

[youtube]leLZZK4llYE[/youtube]

It's funny to read the first page of this thread again, I remember it 3 years ago.

I love how you ask "do you want to race my bicycle?"

It's probably one of the biggest sleepers ever built.

liveforphysics said:
lostrack said:
Bump for people who haven't discovered this thread yet!

If you like this thread, you would really like my newest creation. :)

[youtube]leLZZK4llYE[/youtube]

Yeah man - been following it avidly. I think pretty much everyone on here wants a bike like that for fun:) (and bragging rights)

I was particularly impressed at your description of how controllable it was at low revs too.

Reckon it could be scaled down or is the controller the key bit?

lostrack said:
Reckon it could be scaled down or is the controller the key bit?

That controller and it's tuning (thank you soooo much Ryan!) is about 98% of the puzzle to making this bicycle possible.

+1 subscribed. and off for a lie down after reading all that.

Back