List (Thread) of folks that HATE the electric bicycle

Hehe... I suspect they are not Polish at all! Instead, Italian, and playing "hide the salami"... Per Wikipedia:
The word originates from the word sale (salt) with a termination -ame used in Italian as an indicator of collective nouns

Sneaky Italians... Guess they don't expect a hot (sweaty) day...

L

Windshield washer manufacturers... Most riding the electrical bicycle do NOT have windscreens...

Horse industry is hating Offroad e-MTB
Platinum dealers/traders becouse platinum is needed for the Catalytic_converter in the fossil-fart car filters... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalytic_converter
Bloomberg
{I hate putting all on the hate side. i think not all of em hate e-bicyles but most of em}

Bloomberg doesn't seem to like E-Bikes.

Where I live ebikes are extremely rare. You hardly ever see them. In fact, I've only bumped into one other e-biker in my town (in nine years) and we have paved paths everywhere. The one time I saw another e-biker was a guy on a dedicated bike path/bridge. He was coasting on a recumbent trike at about 15mph on level surface, and I noticed he wasn't pedaling. The place he was "coasting" was a flat spot at the top of a hill. I thought, "There's no way he could climb that hill and coast at a consistent pace across that area."

As he passed I asked loudly, "hey, is that thing electric?" He stopped and said, "No." But the look on his face betrayed him. I asked, "How did you maintain that speed all the way across the bridge?"

He then said, "Okay. Yes, it's electric." He didn't want to talk to me..............until I said, "I have an electric bike, too." That got his attention.

I was actually on a regular bike, so he looked at me skeptically, so I pulled out my phone and showed him my ebike.

After that he let loose, telling me everything. We had a great time talking ebikes, motors, etc.

Turns out he has Parkinson's Disease, and once it started getting worse he couldn't keep up with his wife (they ride around town all the time on their two yellow recumbent trikes). So he bought a mid-drive motor kit (it was surprisingly quiet...super quiet) and told me how he spared no expense. He paid a couple grand for the kit alone because he wanted to be as stealth as possible.

Back to who hates e-bikes: Where I live the cops couldn't care less and wouldn't even know what an e-bike is. In fact, they have a huge bicycle rodeo each year in which the cops teach kids how to ride safely, give out free helmets, and perform bicycle stunts to entertain the crowd while building connections with the public. It's really cool. Plus, we have a team of bicycle cops in our town. They use Trek mountain bikes outfitted for police work. Really nice bikes.

I showed up a few years ago on an e-bike to show them the possibilities and how they could apply motors to their bikes in order to be faster, have more range, etc.

The guys in charge of that department had no interest whatsoever and blew me off.

I could easily go 45mph (if I had a bike capable of it) around here on the streets and the police wouldn't even care. They don't even really know they exist.

When I was in NYC a year ago I saw more E-bikes per block than I've seen in my entire state (Georgia). In Georgia I've seen maybe five or six ebikes pass by. That's it. In NYC I counted six on one block and two to three on each other block.

In my town, driver training for novice/new car drivers/youth is like a "mini industry"... and some car insurance companies offer a small discount off annual car insurance premiums, when new drivers/insurers can show a "certificate" that they have "passed" some new car driving "school"...

"Back in the day", when I was in a hurry to get a new drivers license (to drive our newish VW "Beatle" from Toronto, ON back to Halifax NS, so I and my soon-to-be bride could get to our "appointment", to get married by a priest) I actually flunked the driving test twice, then passed it on the third try (I knew a grrrl that worked for the drivers test folks, so she could get me in for a drivers test, ordinarily "backlogged" for a few weeks), left Toronto one morning and arrived in Halifax earlier the next morning... (This was again "back in the day", when Canada had "real" miles, with "real" highway speed limits...) But yeah, we were "flying" down the highways, without actually leaving the ground...

These daze, as a pedestrian, just trying to get across the street at a crosswalk, when the light is green, note lots of car drivers turning right from some side street, are careful to watch for coming cars, but for some of them, pedestrians are just a nuisance, that had better look out for themselves... Most pedestrians already know not to trust car drivers...

That's one of the things I really appreciate about the electric bicycle... That riders assume some of the risk in hitting anything, or anybody...
L

The manufacturers of engine cooling etc oils, and their additives... Personally, I can't remember my ebikes EVER needing an "engine oil", or an "engine oil change"...

Meanwhile, on the "kielbasa front"...

Spandex_crew.JPG Viewed 300 times

Meanwhile... Polish ladies:
poland-polska-team.jpeg Viewed 207 times

Ladies fast catching up, it seems! Go Ladies, Go!
(Hehe)
L

Chefs, staff and owners (maybe) at some of your fav restaurants, that figure out why your "food intake" seems to have fallen off noticeably...
:)
L

Well, I entered the "belly of the beast" last night (and lived to tell about it.) I had to walk downtown (along Queen Street, to the "Distillery District" in Toronto), then back again' leaving the "Distillery District" around midnight. I was walking because my new "rusty steed" (electric tricycle) is currently out of commission with a broken back (frame), and unemployed, I was loath to spend any $$$ of public transit. Anyway... It was only to give me a bit of a break. Something to do, and I still sorta need the exercise anyway (still staggering like a "drunken sailor", but nothing to do with drink!). Anyway... On the way hope, I walked into an all-night "convenience store" (that didn't sell coffee, that I would have been happy to buy - I really mostly wanted to be a "customer", to use their "facility".) Anyway, no coffee, but I asked the fellow behind the counter if he would be kind enough to let me use his "lou", and he said OK! (Roadside businesses in Toronto commonly have prominent signs posted "Washrooms are for Customers Only!") So on my way out, I told him I would like to leave him a "Big Tip" for his kindless... and left him with a card from one area ebike seller, mentioning some of the many advantages to electric traction for transportation. And he pointed out one reason they were an "all night" outfit was that they had gas(oline) pumps right out front (that I had not noticed in the dark, with their bright store sign.) Man... Awkward moment!

Anyway... Just wish to add independent "all night" gas pump etc stores to this thread...

L

PS... I sorta missed out on any party to celebrate the Day of the Half-Dead, so instead was going instead to a costume EVent at a District Mexican bar/restaurant to celebrate the "Day of the Dead". Many folks paid positive complements about my "costume". Only one person figured out I wasn't wearing much of any Halloween etc costume at all!

Í would say honest hate is more easy than hidden aggression hidden in law-talk. I mean, those guys don"t care about speeding, driving against the red lights, drinking&driving, tax fraud, joints and what have you, "those things we just do, you know, it"s human", but they freak out when your E-bikes has a throttle and whopping 500W thrust. Even some of the most liberal liberals suddenly become red-faced law-pickers when they see an E-bike. It"s hilarious. They support Greenpeace and it"s actions, you know, for to good cause, but lo and behold god damn it, that"s a throttle! :mrgreen:
Here conservatives are interested about E-bike, they see it"s potential and all, but liberals are cautious and feel threatened because liberals are usually cyclists. Most likely critic of E-bike can be green party voter liberal cyclist. They have a hard time accepting anything than else what law strictly allows. Conservatives, which don"t exactly love classic bicycles, go wow! That"s a nice thing!

Hey Eskimo... Here in Canada we are "limited" by law to 500 Watts *continuous*... PEAK/temp powers might be MUCH higher... But I guess the girlfriend might be impressed by 500 watts of "thrust"... Oh right... This thread is about electric bicycles... Sorry. Forgot. :cry: :lol:
L

I do know you have different laws out there, this northern-EU law is so ridicilous it just agitates nitpicky people to hate you, opportunity is just too good. Cycling is growing a lot now every year and those people somehow see it like E-bikes put this good mood in danger. 250W/25 km/h is just a joke for over 90kg/200lb persons. 750W/20mph more is more like it. German-style 45 km/h is good, it makes people to respect the law, and keeps those nitpickers at bay. I think in the future they are gonna ban DIY-bikes, which worries me. Taxman has to get his share which always means more limitations and regulations. People here are commonly friendly towards E-bike but 90% of them just wants to talk about the law, if you engage on conversation with them. It"s really boring. Same kind of behaviour from me towards their car would sound like a provocation. You know, "Hi, nice car. Is that aftermarket rearlight really legal? Oh, and those tires, they look like non-standard, i think you should hide them somehow, police may pay attention you know. Oh, and all that horsepower! that puts other road users in danger!"
Sorry my occasional tendency to use aviation terminology :wink: Writing in english is just continious rehearse to keep your foreign language alive. It"s bit like practising football alone, you tend to do all kinds of moves. Your foreign language fades if you do not use it at all.

Hey Eskimo! Hyvää päivää! Hehe... Must remember to practice my Finnish... Find out where the local Finns hang out in Toronto. Might be fun to ride a two-seater... Offer some pretty Finnish lady a ride somewhere... "Oh! Olemme vain halailemaan lämpöä!" Hehe... Oooops. Hope nobuddy else is reading this...
Hehe...

Ainakin, jossa kaunis tyttö mukaan matkalle, ebiker saattaa saada vähemmän "valituksia"?
L

Pretty good :wink: Our language is difficult for non-speakers, because we don"t have these little words before the word (On, In, The, A, An) at all. Those are built inside the word, we don"t use= in the car, on the car, when the root word stays the same, we use one single word when you use three. Every thing requires a different word.
A car = auto
In the car = autossa
On the car = autossa (Other words determine)
With the car = autolla
Inside the car = auton sisällä
Outside the car = auton ulkopuolella
Drive a car = ajaa autoa
Drive around = autoile, ajele
To use a car = autoilla
A carless person = autoton
Car driver = autoilija
Car driver"s union = autoilijoiden liitto
Car union = autoliitto
Automatic = automaatti

I think you get my point :mrgreen:
As far as finnish women are considered, take em all. I have, shall we say, kinda given up for good.

Oooops... Mighta forgotten/overlooked one...
virtsata auto

Re Finnish ladies. Sorry to hear that. Must remember to limit myself to Swedish grrrrls. Ummm... Unless I see them coming, up the fjord/"lock" in reeeeally long boats...

Farväl!
Lock

EDIT: PS... I am currently "sporting" a bicycle helmet designed by Yakkay... Finnish-designed, I believe... Gets a lot of comments/complements... Unlike those kinda funky plastic ice bucket thingees... Should I maybe tell EVerybuddy it is really from the Swiss, or Swedish, or somewhere else like that?
Hehe

Ambience driver/attendants... Who usually get to "act official", ringing their bells, etc to "force" traffic to pull over, eg off to the side, racing to watt might be some life-or-death "traffic" accident ("Watt??? You brought your own band aids?").

you forgot to add the car insurance car registration dmv n.y.s. inspection places. i have a few haters also because i make it around town quicker than them during rush hour

I think the only ones that actually don't like ebikes are some drivers who see us whizzing past them stopped in traffic, while we use the bike lane without laboring over the pedals. And some of the pedal cyclists.

I don't really think anyone hates ebikes, other than Jessica Lappin or similar who just picked on us out of lack of education about ebikes, or due to the way many of the ebike riders operate them in their area.

Auto manufacturers and related are not worried, the car isn't going anywhere, at least in the US.

... the car isn't going anywhere, at least in the US...

Ya must be referring to how fast some of `em go in urban bumper-to-bumper traffic? Hehe...

Some of the things I haven't paid a cent for in the last few years (in some cases, decades):
Car insurance
Car parking
Car maintenance
EVen my cost of "fuel" has been subsidized sometimes (Hello "Timmy's", out in Port Credit! Hehe...)
Cost of exercise "clubs" (the ebike has exercise sorta "built in")
Gasoline (or diseasal - although admittedly I have backtracked sometimes eg pubic transit, sometimes a diseasal-powered bus - Oh the shame...)
I could probably go on...
Maybe some are just waiting for north Americans to *wake up* to watt is already happening in "out of the way places" eg many countries in Europe, and in China.

Apologies in advance for any typo/spelling errors!
Hehe
L

veloman said:
Auto manufacturers and related are not worried, the car isn't going anywhere, at least in the US.

As a guy who has been to countries like the Netherlands and China, I have a bit of a different vantage point. I have experienced being in city traffic in a car outnumbered by bicycles (most/many ebikes) by perhaps 50:1, watching the car crawl forward through the crowds at walking pace while the hoards of cyclists rapidly overtook and disappeared ahead. I believe the car can be displaced in the US or anywhere in the world if simply the right conditions occur.

Lock said:
PS and BTW... Some womyn apparently find some guys in spandex strangely appealing...
View attachment 1

sort of reminds me of.....

chipmonk.jpg

should we call these guys "Chipmonkers" ???

Hehe... Not at all. The "Spandex" crowd is multi-national, as far as I know. Lotsa folks like to "hide the salami"?

(Edit: It occurs to me... Why d'ya thing Scottish guys kilts are so long?)

Harley is embracing electric

.........................BUTT.........................

Oil & gas companies would HATE electric,

Old school crusty bicycle shop owners who give you the cold shoulder when you are looking for a 10 or 12awg nipple/spokes.

Vehicle drivers hate bicyclists in general, they'd hate even more electric bicyclists because now they can keep up and get in front of them at red lights/stop signs.

Walkers/Runners/Dog walkers/Families could hate electric bikes for scaring them or startling them as you cruise up behind them silently. I tend to whistle but I think I am going to convert to geared motor with some sort of noise maker like on the spokes or something.

Back