lit motors c-1

Two guys sitting on a spinnjng bar stools
Each with a spinning bicycle wheel connected by a rod
Turn the wheel from vertical to horizontal and spin one way on your stool clockwise
The other guy spins the counter other way at the same rate
50 50 balance

E-bike4life said:
Erogo said:
And, the steering the handlebar "out" of the turn is described in this paper as being an opposite torque, rather than displacement. Is it more than that? I have no superbike experience, but in lowspeed bicycle scenario that seemed to match my experience.

I believe this is merely an example of angles. The surface area of the tires are round and there are only 2 of them. So when you lean you have to counter stear to keep the bike traveling in the direction of the lean.

Think of drifting in a car with 4 wheels, when the angle of the rear tires surpass the angle of travel at the front wheels, you must counter steer to keep the vehicle traveling in the desired direction. :lol: JK I am just guessing here hahaha

Check this out. Even with the torque created by the front wheel of a motorcycle canceled out, you still need to counter steer at speeds above 15mph. This shows that it's merely the angle created by the lean that makes it necessary to counter steer on a motorcycle/ 2 wheeled vehicle that leans. :mrgreen:
http://www.reverserotatingrotors.com/whyitworks.html
http://www.reverserotatingrotors.com/index.html

E-bike4life said:
Check this out. Even with the torque created by the front wheel of a motorcycle canceled out, you still need to counter steer at speeds above 15mph. This shows that it's merely the angle created by the lean that makes it necessary to counter steer on a motorcycle/ 2 wheeled vehicle that leans. :mrgreen:
http://www.reverserotatingrotors.com/whyitworks.html
http://www.reverserotatingrotors.com/index.html

Great references.

Am I reading the articles on the monorail correctly in that it CAN ONLY TURN IN ONE DIRECTION?

Would you all buy one if it went 0 to 60 mph in 2 seconds
but only went 70mph tops on a long hill or flat with two riders ?

For me that would depend on the total package. On-road costs, warranty, insurance cover, public liability, service agreement etc.

If the price was right.

flathill said:
if this were the case, i would rethink the gearing.

my guesses at 70 mph up a 6% grade, 800 lbs GVWR, about 15 hp. 70 mph, at 1000 GVWR, about 7 hp. 0-60 in 2 seconds, about 250 hp (assuming you could still weigh in at 800 lbs). beyond supercar territory. 0-60 in 4 seconds, 100 hp. 6 seconds, 60 hp. 8 seconds, 40 hp. 10 seconds, 30 hp. i suspect they'll fail with the 6 second claim. 8 should be pretty reachable. i'd be pretty ok with 0-60 in 10 seconds and 100 mph up the grade. both doable with 30 hp i think.

ptd said:
flathill said:
if this were the case, i would rethink the gearing.

my guesses at 70 mph up a 6% grade, 800 lbs GVWR, about 15 hp. 70 mph, at 1000 GVWR, about 7 hp. 0-60 in 2 seconds, about 250 hp (assuming you could still weigh in at 800 lbs). beyond supercar territory. 0-60 in 4 seconds, 100 hp. 6 seconds, 60 hp. 8 seconds, 40 hp. 10 seconds, 30 hp. i suspect they'll fail with the 6 second claim. 8 should be pretty reachable. i'd be pretty ok with 0-60 in 10 seconds and 100 mph up the grade. both doable with 30 hp i think.

Assume the flywheel system weighs 100 lbs and put out 150hp in short bursts. The motor weighs 3 pounds and can put out 13 hp continuous. We could probably make our 0-60 goal if the total vehicle weighed in around 550 pounds.

The idea is to use the flywheels for takeoff and then spool them up when breaking for gyroing at low and zero speed. Small integrated perfect sized electric motors would carry you along one your up to speed. The motors could also pre spool for short bursts for overtaking.

I'm still weighing the pro and cons of a system like this vs just buying a bigger electric motor. You're doing more with less in one respect but not in another. The goal is ephemeralization but im not sure this is it
_wsb_504x343_Flywheel_Capacitor_web.jpg

flathill said:
Assume the flywheel system weighs 100 lbs and put out 150hp in short bursts. The motor weighs 3 pounds and can put out 13 hp continuous. We could probably make our 0-60 goal if the total vehicle weighed in around 550 pounds.

The idea is to use the flywheels for takeoff and then spool them up when breaking for gyroing at low and zero speed. Small integrated perfect sized electric motors would carry you along one your up to speed. The motors could also pre spool for short bursts for overtaking.

I'm still weighing the pro and cons of a system like this vs just buying a bigger electric motor. You're doing more with less in one respect but not in another. The goal is ephemeralization but im not sure this is it
hmmmm... hadn't thought of it that way. the flywheel capacitor. i had just envisioned them as stabilization. but now the pancake 4 lb stator/gryo idea seems like a decent idea. i had also guessed their flywheels to weigh in at about 15-20 lbs for both. the thing i haven't figured out yet, is how were you thinking method of transfer? considering the flywheels need to be gimbled. and i can see the flywheel acting like supercap, but i can't see a smaller motor taking the burst. very interesting tangent though. and now i can't stop thinking about I ROBOT, and the audi wlith it's spherical wheels, and wondering what would happen if the gyro were inside them, with some kind of mechanical transfer, instead of electrical. speed racer here we come.

i like the idea of shedding pounds too, but i think that as the C1 is focusing so much on safety, my guess is the cage will come in at about 400 lbs. that's why i was thinking, go recumbent, with minimal velo shell, bombay doors, and the whole shell tilts. thinking if you can weigh in at 100, 280 GVWR, then 10 hp gets you to 60 in about 10 seconds. maybe a JOBY JM1S. and the JM1 might knock it down to about 7 seconds.

ok, after checking the site, i realize one limiter on my pancake gyro. speed of sound. the kers looks to be around a foot in diameter, so at 60,000 rpm, were talking 2000 mph. hence the vacuum. i was thinking 8 inch, so, 30,000 rpm might be feasible. kers mentions 60 kw, and a total weight of 27 kg. anyone familiar with the formulas for flywheel energy storage? or how lit motors comes out with 1300 ft lbs of stabilizing torque?

vax said:
Guys, have you thought, that there could be a vehicle _powered_ by same gyro that stabilizes it?
Just like gyro-bus
the gyro on the bus has no stabilizing affect. it's merely a flywheel, being used, as an energy storage device. yes, we're talking about using the gyro's for dual duty. but i still see a problem, in that the gyro has to tilt to generate a stabilizing effect, but needs to be fixed, to provide propulsion. UNLESS, you either use a high speed u joint, or collect the energy indirectly, via my idea of the flywheel BEING the rotor of a motor. which has the added ability of using regen from the drive motor to spin the gyro motor back up. and vice versa. (i also have a weird suspicion that 'tapping' the gyro for power, will induce a gyroscopic effect. it was my original belief that you could induce the effect by simply speeding up, or slowing down, a non tilting gyro.) however, i'm quite sure that the gyro runs at all vehicle speeds, slow, or not. i believe it will be quite necessary, for the C1 to corner the way they want it to. ie steering wheel, and no counter steer. either way, i still like the idea of gyrorotor, instead of flywheel AND motor to spin it up. kinda fits nicely into that ephemeralization way of doing more with less. :D

ok, just saw your new youtube vid, but watch the one of it getting kicked around.

ptd said:
the gyro on the bus has no stabilizing affect. it's merely a flywheel, being used, as an energy storage device.
Wrong. Every rotating mass has gyro-effect.
I think same electric motor can be used for spinning it up and extracting power. Flywheel with motor should be in vacuum chamber with motor/generator and move in gimble. And there's actuator on that device, that moves it when computer needs to lean. Quite simple...
I think it should be cheaper technology than batteries.

vax said:
ptd said:
the gyro on the bus has no stabilizing affect. it's merely a flywheel, being used, as an energy storage device.
Wrong. Every rotating mass has gyro-effect.
i never said it didn't have an effect, i just said that it wasn't utilised for stabilization. and, iirc, it was attributed to causing difficulty in steering. my guess is that they had a single gyro, not a counter rotating pair.
vax said:
I think same electric motor can be used for spinning it up and extracting power.
i think this is already the case. i'm just thinking that a rotor and a gyro have some similarities, hence an opportunity for a more compact, less complex, unit.
vax said:
Flywheel with motor should be in vacuum chamber with motor/generator and move in gimble.
the vacuum is only necessary if the outer edge of the flywheel is travelling at faster than the speed of sound. although in any case, it should result in a bit more efficiency. but again, quite a bit more complex. might be easier to just add mass, instead of diameter. also, no need to encase the motor, when just a shaft will do.
vax said:
I think it should be cheaper technology than batteries.
i believe the gyros on the C1 are primarily for stabilization, not propulsion. not that you couldn't have both, but you'd have problems with stability when you ran low on stored energy.

flathill said:

I'm still weighing the pro and cons of a system like this vs just buying a bigger electric motor. You're doing more with less in one respect but not in another. The goal is ephemeralization but im not sure this is it..

The "flybrid" technology is one option, but there is also the WHT system, that is effectively a "mechanical battery" using high speed flywheel rotors to store and return electrical energy ( This is the Williams F1 KERS technology).
It can efficiently adsorb and return large amount of energy (100kW) at high rates from a small 20kg package.
http://www.williamshybridpower.com/technology/whps-flywheel-technology
mlcflywheel_cad_with_key.jpg

EBJ said:
In Jr College I built this:
I call it the MotoLuge.
It's VERY tricky to ride a 2 wheeled vehicle with a steering wheel.
The reason:

When the landing gear is down, the vehicle steers normally.
As soon as the landing gear goes up,
you have to "counter-steer" just like on a motorcycle.
You might not notice it on a motorcycle, but when you turn right, you are actually turning the handle-bars left.
Anyone that doesn't believe me should try riding the MotoLuge. haha. Turn the wheel right, and you go left.

The MotoLuge is sitting in my dad's garage. I ant to get it out into an open parking lot one last time before cutting it up.
It was a great learning experience, but 2-wheeled vehicles w/ steering wheels are not meant for the road.

Lets just say I learned why 2 wheeled vehicles shouldn't have steering wheels.

I'm sure the C1 is steer-by-wire (not mechanical steering)...so a computer just uses steering wheel input to determine how to actuate the gyros and turn the wheels.

EBJ said:
Miles said:
Interesting point. With gyro stabilisation though, I would expect it to behave more like a 3 or 4 wheeled vehicle....
If this vehicle is expected to lean in turns (like it shows in the videos computer animation) then "counter-steering" seems necessary and I don't think using a steering wheel would be desirable. If the vehicles gyroscope is constantly running and this thing is meant to take turns without leaning, then I agree with the use of a steering wheel. I am having a hard time understanding how a gyroscope could be constantly running and still allow a vehicle to lean. *perhaps the gyroscope itself "leans" relative to the vehicle in turns? ) I would have guessed the gyroscope to be for low-speeds only, in order to eliminate the need for "landing gear", but in the above video they show the gyroscope used in a simulated car-crash to keep the vehicle upright. So unless that gyroscope kicks on in a millisecond, I'd say the designer is having it run all the time, In which case I'm still confused as to how it leans in turns.

The gyros are on computer-controled actuators...so they provide active stabilization, and can cause the C-1 to lean into a turn.

EBJ said:
Miles said:
If the lean is induced by reaction to a force applied to the gyros, there is no need for counter-steer?
But then how do you tell the gyros how much you want to lean?

Another issue: what if you want to change the rate of turning half way through the turn?
-you would need to: Lean more (counter-steer *again) then follow-turn sharper.
All while half-way through a turn.

It's a big balancing act that goes un-noticed to most riders. I just don't think a machine could replicate it very well.
Perhaps, the computer could sense a sharper turn of the steering wheel, calculate the rate of the turn, counter-steer the vehicle accordingly, then follow-steer at the rate the steering wheel is turning.... seems like it might work so far.
But now lets continue: (and here is where I think the main problem lies)
To get OUT of the turn: your front tire would actually have to point sharper into the turn (what we have been calling follow-turning). By turning INTO the turn sharper than what your lean-angle allows, the vehicle will right itself. So this means, the computer would now have to physically turn the front tire more INTO the trun as you turn the steering wheel OUT of the turn. WEIRD!. I suppose you could rely on the gyros to "right" the vehicle after a turn. In which case the gyros would have to kick on (variably) as you steer the vehicle away from the turn, but then the gyros would have to counter-act what your front tire would be doing (which is actually "counter-steering" steeper INTO the turn).
Seems like a cluster-f*** of problems.
I still don't think it would work. The thing just needs some handle-bars. :wink:

The miracles of computers. Onboard computers decide how to actuate the gyros and turn the wheels in order to have the vehicle respond to steering input. In order to know "which way is up", the computer probably uses something like the artificial horizon in an airplane, so the computer "knows" the vehicle's vertical orientation.

chrispw said:
The gyros are on computer-controled actuators...so they provide active stabilization, and can cause the C-1 to lean into a turn.
Right. The idea is to apply a torque to the gyro mechanism, causing the vehicle to lean enough to balance the forces. This is important because the gyro can only provide torque for a limited period (until the mech. has rotated circa 45 deg. and it hits the stops).

Hey, they actually gotta working (sorta) prototype on camera. Watch it in the background and you see the gyros working to hold it up. Also interesting they mentioned regenerative gyro forces? Hmm?

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2012/05/lit-motors-c1/

These guys deserve big props making this work IMO...

I hope their understanding of dynamic stability is better than their knowledge of simple power usage ?
They seem to think its only going to need 4kW to cruise at 110mph ! :roll:
.....the production version will be all-wheel-drive (two-wheel, if you prefer), with power provided by a hub-mounted electric motor good for 110 horsepower. Weighing in at between 800 and 900 pounds in production spec, Lit estimates a zero-to-60-mph time of around six seconds, with a 120-mph top speed and a range of 220 miles between charges thanks to the 8 kWh lithium-ion battery pack mounted in the floor.

And , what with the head sticking up out of the roof ? :lol:

Back