• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

logicstics of non-standard voltages e.g NOT 24/36/48/72V

stevo

10 mW
For those of you who are using non-standard voltages (say 60V or 66V or 88V), I am curious about 2 things:
1) what controller are you using? e.g. if you are running 60V, do you use a 48V controller and just hope that it can take the higher voltage?
2) how are you charging your battery(s)? e.g. I've never heard of a 66V battery charger

What battery chem are you wondering about? It is possible to use multiple chargers without disconnecting any bike wiring. Very easy to do, for a simple example: With a 30v upgrade on a Currie 24v bike you can use the stock 24v charger along with a 6v charger.

Assuming you already have the 6v booster wired in series to the 24v stock pack.. Now you have to disconnect the charge wire from the controller box if the bike has one. Reconnect the bike's std. charge plug receptacle strait to the stock batteries rather than the controller wire. Connect the new 2nd plug receptacle to the 6v booster battery. Now you will charge using these two plugs..

For an extreme example of multiple chargers take a look at xyster's charge setup! Many many plugs and no worries, it all works fine.

I run a multi voltage setup, and while most of my posts are abouyt the bike at 37 or 74 volts, 55.5 volts is the most comon voltage I run at.

the logistics are a pain. I can't charge the batteries at 55.5 volts. I have to break the pack into 6 packs of 5 cells each, then charge them with either a 18.5V (5 cell) Lipo charger. or put 2 in series and use a 37V charger.

Then there is the problem of the LVC for the controller. I overcame this by having a controller capable of running 36volts all the way to 100volts, and In effect, I have no LVC.

the way to get around the LVC issue is by having a Cycle Analyst, and keeping a close eye on my voltages.

The hardest part of that is Disipline. If the battery should fall below the minimum voltage, being that it is Lipo, it will keep running anyway. If I'm a mile from the house, I Have to have the disipline to unplug the battery and pedal home. The temptation would be to keep going, its only a mile, and a Lipo would do it. But if I did, it would destroy the lipo

My battery pack is 51.8 konion.The charger has a 48v sticker on front(mauve?color)On the back,rectangle white,black letters.bunch of chinese symbols-58.8v.I think pwbset, who I bought it from,said he ordered it that way.58.8 is max for 14s konion(51.8v).The controller proudly states:" MODDED BY STEVEO!".go figure.

boy its late! I was wondering if steveo was smoking tundra moss then after post saw it was from stev(-e)o.Chargers are adjustable,stevo_Othewise manufacturers would go crazy dealing w/ making chargers for batts that have varying differences in voltage.ie:3.2,3.6,3.7 for lithium alone.Mine was born as a 48v but adjusted w screwdriver to 58.8 before shipping. I think you can do this yourself but how much I know not.Cheap lead/acid 12v chargers are set to13-14v's.As far as controller(again,pure conjecture,as I really don't know shit)they come in voltage ranges,so one rated for 72v would have plenty room to spare for 52v.I'm sure close to everyone at e-s can explain this better than I.

I'm running 11s 20 ah lipos broken into a 5s 20ah pack and 6s 20ah. Charged/balanced on a hyperion Duo 3. pretty simple setup on a stock 36V WE controller.

stevo said:
For those of you who are using non-standard voltages (say 60V or 66V or 88V), I am curious about 2 things:
1) what controller are you using? e.g. if you are running 60V, do you use a 48V controller and just hope that it can take the higher voltage?
2) how are you charging your battery(s)? e.g. I've never heard of a 66V battery charger

Nominal 60v setup, all Headways. A 48v pack, and 4 booster cells.

1. Crappy 6 FET 48v controller that came with the motor. Changed the Filter caps to 100v from 63v...and went from 2x 470uf to 2x1000uf...they are taped to the outside of the controller. Upped the current to 30A from 17A. The FETS are rated at 75v, and the battery's 74v off the charger, and it's all good, been running like that for 2 years now. The LVC in the controller is useless (controllers shouldn't have them anyway, batteries these days have BMS's).

2. I have two 48V chargers for the Headway 48V pack (with BMS) - one at home, one at work
And at home I have a set of 4 single cell chargers for the 4 Headway booster cells, while at work I have a 12v LiFePO4 charger which charges them in series. So they get balanced every second charge.

We got a bunch of $20 chargers recently online - they work good, I got the second 48v charger and the 12v charger (adrian_sm will remember who from).

One day I might add another 4 cells and move to 72v, and pickup a couple of 24v chargers (and maybe a BMS, but one in the system is enough).

Mark

Back