looking for info on stand up scooter hub motors such as the ones dualtron uses

ProEV

10 W
Hi,

I am trying to evaluate using a stand up scooter motor in my next Electrathon race vehicle. We race for one hour with a 1 kWhr pack. I am using an Astro Flight 4 Turn 3220 motor rated for 4 kW now but want to move away from bicycle tires and like the idea of a hub motor. Here is a description of the ProEV Super Coupe as it ran last year: 2022-23 ProEV Super Coupe Description .

The Minimotor that the Dualatron uses look promising. They seem to have a 5 kW version as well as lots of 3 kW. They sell them as spares here: Spare Parts

Does anyone know anything about these moters? What type of motor are they? Do they have hall sensors? Any efficiency graphs?

I have a spare ASI 1000 controller, the larger version of the FOC controller that ebike.com has turned into the excellent Phaserunner controller. Will the ASI controller work with these stand up scooter motors?

I know nothing about stand up scooter, so any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Cliff

www.ProEV.com

The motors are typical outrunner hub motors with hall sensors. Just like a bicycle hub motor, only with a smaller rim. No idea about the efficiency. The ASI will work if you can get it programmed properly.
One thing to consider is the small scooter-sized tires have much more rolling resistance than a typical bicycle tire.

Thanks for your reply. On the tires, I am not sure how they will be from the efficiency point of view. Larger diameter wheels have a small advantage in efficiency but wider tires, somewhat counterintuitivly, also have a advantage in rolling resistance. From testing a variety of bicycle tires, I have found that thickness of the rubber is the most critical factor (after tire pressure). Tubeless worn tires did the best, until they failed. The other question will be how high a pressure I can get them to survive at.

Back