Lyen 18FET with 24s Lipo?

cbr shadow

1 kW
I bought the 18FET 4110 overclocker read Lyen controller for my E-trike. I want to add Lipo and they system I'm looking at is 24s 2P or 24s3P.. Am I asking for issues with this controller? I'm not ready to modify the controller - what's the highest voltage/amps I can go with this controller? Do I need to keep it at 20s for it to be reliable? I was thinking I'd run 40-50 amps. Thoughts?
This is going to be used with a HS3540 mounted in a 20" wheel on a KMX trike.
Thanks,
Ryan

is anyone else able to comment on this? The reason I ask is that I see on his website the 18FET controller is 72v 'optimized'.. How high has everyone gotten this controller?

24 cell is fine, the proper method is to change a couple resistors so your not stressing the low voltage circuts, (throttle, CA, Halls, etc). This was told to me from lyen himself.

I got that 18FET 4110 overclocker ready Lyen controller about 6 weeks ago and I'm running it on 24s2p Lipos on my off-road Kona Stinky Deluxe bike. It's been working great at that voltage (88.8v nominal; 100.2v hot off charger). I don't have everything hooked up on it yet nor tried modifying the software settings but cruise-control and 3-speed switch works great. Only drawback about running it at that higher voltage is you can't use regen on it.

Also, I didn't know if I was going to use it at 12s or 24s when I got it so I had Edward Lyen wire it up with the proper resistors (internally) and jumper wire (externally) so I can selectively switch the LVC accordingly.

IMG_0915.jpg

IMG_0928.jpg

IMG_0913.jpg

Personally I never run my equipment that close to limits, because I like to push the current limits. ie 100V fresh off the charger with 100V rated components. That said lots of guys run their controllers at 24s with 100V components without issue.

John

Yeah I'm keeping my fingers crossed but I haven't seen any problems yet. With un-modified shunt traces and un-modified software settings yet CA shows continuous 4600watts under heavy acceleration or climbing steep hills and peak MaxA readings of 98A.

Lyen suggests to not run higher than 40amps on the battery current. IRL it spikes closer to 45amps. I blew 9 fets in that controller, 6 of which were attributed to too high of battery current at 50 amps.

I run my $35 Hua Tong 72V 40A controller on 24s2p and everything works fine. I did have to add a resistor (to open smd pads) to raise LVC and get regen to work, but that was easy. I only charge to 100V.

I believe that 24s, 100v fully charged is just a tad past the optimum line for the "72v" Lyens. Lyens told me that 100v was really really the limit, but 90v fully charged was what the resistors were designed for. I've labeled all mine with a sharpie, 62-90v so I don't forget the design limits. 62v is the lvc setting

Changing the resistors, which I had Lyens do for my second controller made it into a 82-120v. Lvc raised to 82v.

These are one 9 fet 72v, one 12 fet 72v, and one 12 fet 92v.

Anyway, pushing the limit to 100v is most likely to just result in frying the resistors if I understood Lyens correctly. I went to the 92v controller for the race bike because trying to be there at the checkered was a priority.

The 18FET or 12FET LYEN conroller all have 100V caps in it. They have a 5% tolerance in voltages they can handle.
So the best and safest way is to upgrade those caps for 200V types.
I also did these mods and they are fitting nicely.
There are also some 100n/100v capacitors nearby the FET's for removing distortion pulses. These also should be changed because if one of them blows...your whole bank of FET's are blown up..i'm speaking of experience.
You could be lucky and never had any trouble with it but if you look at the caps..especially the 470uF/100V caps..you should see a little bulge on them caused by the overvoltage.

I'm curious if a Lyen 18fet is comparable to em3 18fet regarding the 24s? My em3 has the 4110's.
I'd like to do the same, I don't want regen, and would charge under 100v.

How many more people have/are running 24s on similar (xie chang?) controllers?
How have the 100v caps held up over time?

I would also not call for (much) more amps than my current setting of ~72a batt/160a phase, but am 'hard' on draw and would be also curious of controller longevity with equal or higher amps combined with the 24s. Application in question is for the bht bigblock low kV motor. Thanks! :D

I also found these pertinent, and there's prob lot's more. :idea: List any others you find applicable and we could make a good collection of all the various smaller threads which have useful slight variable focuses. :?:

IRFB4110's being run constantly at 100V any failures? https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32791

Most current put through your 18 FET controller? https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=50794

Can a Lyen 18fet 4110 handle 22s lipo safely? https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=63470

Lyen 12FET 4110 MOSFET 24S LIPO 100.8V https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=68605

Modding 24fet Lyen 4110 Controller https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=66725

18 4110 Lyen with 96V? https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=66303

I am running the Infineon 18 fet 4110 on all my bikes.
I always charge above 100v, max they have seen is 108v.
They feed brief peaks above 26 Kw quite often, well above 15 Kw every day.

Now the bad news: They are not born equal, and you might have to buy and upgrade many of them contollers to end up with one that will survive that kind of abuse. I have one still going after 20,000 + Km, and 2 that are coming close to 10,000 Km. I have destroyed about a dozen before achieving reliability on 3 bikes. I am happy with them now, but I can't trust them enough to avoid the need to keep a few spares on the shelves. So the answer is yes, you can use the 18 X 4110 with 24s Lipo and feed high power, but saving on weight and size has a cost, making it much more expansive than using a bigger controller.

If it has a problem with 24s, then it's crap to start with. I've been running my cheap ($35 shipped from China) 72V 1500W 40A 15 fet controller for 5 years now with the last almost 4 years on 24s lipo. Actually I've got 2 of the same and never had a problem with either of them. Both run 24s.

Seems like the recipe for destruction is combos of high kV motor, overamps, and overvolts.
Start combining any 2 of the three and issues are more likely.

24s (91v nom, 101v charge) doesn't seem to immediately hurt caps/fets
100a batt / 300a phase doesn't seem to . . .
High kV doesn't seem to . . .

But what is a fair combination for reliability, esp on my low kV bht (~31kV)?
24s and 75a ~ 7.3kw motor input, seems perfectly doable?
But I wonder about 24s and 100a batt /250a phase for ~ 9kw input . . .

Mad Rhino, what are your avg and max settings (batt and phase A) for your 18fets?
What would be a high level you'd recommend so as not to smoke a controller?
What all blows on an inferior/overstressed controller- fets and caps?
Does up to 100a input sound reasonably 'safe' on 24s and bht?
Also, what kV range motors are you running?
Thanks guys!

nutspecial said:
Mad Rhino, what are your avg and max settings (batt and phase A) for your 18fets?
What would be a high level you'd recommend so as not to smoke a controller?
What all blows on an inferior/overstressed controller- fets and caps?
Does up to 100a input sound reasonably 'safe' on 24s and bht?
Also, what kV range motors are you running?
Thanks guys!
150A batt, phase current not limited (controller program set to max)
Cromotor pulls about 26,000 w on a hard start uphill, 240 Lbs (total bike and rider) on 24 in wheel
I've had 12 fet 4110 pulling 100A reliably

Controller damage is usually fried fets,
or else a short and they explode the casing with raging sparks 6ft each side :D

Wow that is alot! Thanks, I just tried 105a (+35a) and that'll be enough for now. Can't wait to try 22 or 24s as well. The bht already got hot last summer @ 6kw, so I might be dropping those amps back down though. I can't see how it's gonna like 10kw for long lol.

Have fun with your rides man- 240lbs, a crow, and all that power is guaranteed an awesome ride 8)

Back