• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Mac 8T with 29E Battery on Wheeler XTR Fully

chmike

1 µW
Hello community,

after months of reading I took a chance and converted my first ebike for commuting purposes here in California. I have several bikes (mountain fully, titanium racebike, foldable bike and recumbent) and decided to do a rear motor setup on the fully. I´m sure it is a pretty "boring" conversion for many of you guys but I went for a proven, easy to assemble solution (and of course fast :D )

And here it is :) :

It is a Wheeler Falcon 10 with XTR and I had slim Conti Grand Prix on it. However for the usage as ebike I changed to some wider and more stable tires. So less sexy bike, but it is important because of the higher speed and higher weight.
Here are the items on it (all from Paul):
- Mac 8T upgraded version
- Battery pack, Samsung 29E, 25AH for mounting in the frame triangle
- Cycle Analyst V3
- Grintech rear torque arm
- 11-32 9drive

I am not so good in assembly so I was glad to have ordered the full kit from Paul. It was almost plug and play. The only things, which have been a bit tricky for me, have been placing the rear wheel (had to add 2 washers) so that the disc brake still works, assembling all the control items on the handlebar, and then construct some kind of ebrake switches (used mini reed switches).

I am now in my third week of commuting with the bike and I must say it is what I was hoping for :D . I´ve been at this years ebike trial in the Eurobike and tried all the bosch, bionx etc motors. Mine is much more powerful (of course no wonder as in Europe all the motors are limited) and I am happy with the long lasting battery. The cycle analyst allows for really nice settings like the autocruise for example.

I added a seatpost carrier for my office bag from Ortlieb and some cable holders. The only missing things now is a light to plug into the cycle analyst. I already blew two chinese LED lights :oops: , but the grintech illuminator is so so expensive. And also missing is some theft prevention for battery and cycle analyst. I have a heavy chain for the bike as a whole but these two items are not safe yet. I am thinking of ordering grintech´s special screws. But for the battery I have no idea yet.

I also thought of installing a PAS, but it seems extra tricky with the XTR crankset. Paul is about to release a CA V3 compatible PAS and I will have a look at it. But other than I previously thought, riding with the gas and autocruise only is already fine.

The next project would be some light conversion for my wife´s bike :D :D .

DAND214 said:
Looks nice.
Did you have any trouble with the 9 speed freewheel clearing? Shim on the axle so the chain would clear.?
What is the top speed?

I added one washer, which has been part of the whole kit to the axle. Then I only had to adjust two screws on the rear shifter and all was set. The Shimano break/gearshift units work very fine with the 9 speed freewheel.

My top speed on even ground has been 56km/h, whith heavy pedaling I had 64 as max so far. Yet I want to change the three switch settings in the cycle analyst from max amps to max kmh :) .

Back