Magic Shine Battery Recall

LI-ghtcycle

10 MW
I just got an email from Geoman Gear stating all batteries for Magic Shine lights sold in 2009 - 2010 are being recalled for customer safety issues.

Just passing it on in case this hasn't been mentioned.

I noticed on their website that they have totally stopped selling any magicshine lights with batteries and now are selling just the lighthead only...... must be a few batteries going "pop".

I got one in 2009 and used the battery for 6 months or so, never had a prob.

These days I'm running the lighthead off a lyen dc converter that I have set at 10.8 volts, works perfectly and powers my 12v led tailight up very brightly at the same time.

I used to wonder why the light came on at "full beam" when first turned on, but I'm glad it does now because it enables me to turn on both my front and rear lights with a single switch. Just like a car.

thewmatusmoloki said:
I noticed on their website that they have totally stopped selling any magicshine lights with batteries and now are selling just the lighthead only......

Perfect! Didn't want those other parts anyways...

LI-ghtcycle said:
I just got an email from Geoman Gear stating all batteries for Magic Shine lights sold in 2009 - 2010 are being recalled for customer safety issues.

Just passing it on in case this hasn't been mentioned.
Saw this earlier this week and got their mass e-mail few days ago.
It's not all Magicshine batteries being recalled only the ones sold by Geomangear(aka if you bought from another seller your SOL), they will be recalling them and supplying everyone with new batteries sometimes in the near future.

my guess is a few went pop as previously mentioned because in the email it states safety numerous times. Most likely cause by deep discharge and then the in-ability to balance the cells and as we all know over time the balance gets worse and worse and them boom.

Wow, I didn't get the recall notice yet.

GTR2EBIKE said:
LI-ghtcycle said:
my guess is a few went pop as previously mentioned because in the email it states safety numerous times. Most likely cause by deep discharge and then the in-ability to balance the cells and as we all know over time the balance gets worse and worse and them boom.

Agreed. There is no cell balancing circuitry to manage cell level HVC of the provided 2S-2P 18650 LiCoO2 battery pack. They surely can't be using 'protected' type 18650 cells either as they are not supposed to be configured into parallel groups. The provided charger is 8.4V CC/CV so assuming both parallel groups of cells are balanced then everything will be ok during charging (4.2V max per cell). However If the balance gets out of whack then the weaker parallel cell group is compensated for through the charger applying >4.2V across the other parallel group to maintain the total 8.4V CV. If it goes into thermal runaway due to over-voltage then we all know what happens next....

Frankly, it doesn't surprise me they cheaped out on the charge management side of things. The light-set is made to a budget which is reflected in the overall bargain price of the kit which trumps all others in it's class (Im SPECIFICALLY talking bicycle lightsets here, not tubular flashlights duct taped to handlebars or otherwise) Still, it's no excuse to sell something that is increasingly likely to flame-vent the more you deep cycle the battery pack....I wish they'd just charge the couple of extra dollars required to fit the few extra components needed to manage for cell level HVC, but alas the product is aimed at a commodity driven marketplace. In the end the price driven consumer suffers the result of their own subscribed economic rationale that overcomes good engineering practice. CHINESE QUALITY FTW!! :mrgreen: :roll:

I own a small bike shop and currently have a small inventory of magic shine lights.
I am using one on my bike as a demo.
Magic Shine has assured me that their product is safe and that Geoman has no evidence of problems but then this is what I would expect them to say.
Does anyone have any direct experience of problems with these lights? Batteries?
I am still trying to decide what to do with the lights I have.

Is there a way to test for cell imbalance in the units that I have?
Bear in mind that I am a bike mechanic and have only a passing familiarity with electronics.

You could sell them off to me for cheap to get rid of them, if you don't want them! :mrgreen:

I'd be interested in a headlight without batteries.

cadence said:
I own a small bike shop and currently have a small inventory of magic shine lights.
I am using one on my bike as a demo.
Magic Shine has assured me that their product is safe and that Geoman has no evidence of problems but then this is what I would expect them to say.
Is there a way to test for cell imbalance in the units that I have?
Bear in mind that I am a bike mechanic and have only a passing familiarity with electronics.
Get some Lyen converters and sell them in combination. Most E-bikers already have the battery to power to motor. My Magishine runs great at 12 Volts or so.
otherDoc

I have a magicshine tail light that's working fine. I think the real issues are with reliability, not safety. If you wrap the batteries up tight in electrical tape, don't abuse them physically, don't undercharge or overcharge them, and keep them dry they should be fine. Most Bicyclists can't me bothered with that though, so I'll bet there are a lot of returns, and I can see why he is pushing for a recall.

People on this board know that LiPo is finicky, so if you want you can probably sell them cheap to members here with a no return policy.

-Warren.

Someone over on mtbr.com opened up his MS pack that was having some problems and the voltages were: 4.27,4.27,3.86,3.86 here's a link http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=667581
Glad I just bought that lyen DC-DC converter but I'm debating taking it off because the extra voltage sag costs me about 30 watts and I need every watt I can get because my bike is to slow already(only averages 28-29mph on a 7 mile ride :( )

My Magicshine battery pack has essentially died, but I haven't had time to diagnose the problem yet. I bought mine from DX so can't take advantage of Geomangear's recall. The MS pack will only last for about 10 minutes driving my dual front MJ-808 lights. They used to last about 35 minutes.

The MS battery pack died after I had let them sit around a bit since I didn't need them over the Summer as much. I will check each battery's voltage to see what might be happening.

I've got lots of Doctorbass's 18650V and VT cells around to replace the batteries if that's the issue.

Ambrose

GTR2EBIKE said:
Someone over on mtbr.com opened up his MS pack that was having some problems and the voltages were: 4.27,4.27,3.86,3.86 here's a link http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=667581
Glad I just bought that lyen DC-DC converter but I'm debating taking it off because the extra voltage sag costs me about 30 watts and I need every watt I can get because my bike is to slow already(only averages 28-29mph on a 7 mile ride :( )

That's slow?? You could easily make that 30 watts up with your legs.

snowranger said:
GTR2EBIKE said:

That's slow?? You could easily make that 30 watts up with your legs.
Yes that's slow, I'd like my bike to average 35-40. You'll pedal yourself silly in a very short amount of time trying to keep up at 32mph (on flat) with 48T/11T gearing.

Cadence,

You need to grab the voltmeter, and test each cell for DC voltage.

if there is a significant difference between the cells, then there is a problem.

my pack started acting up just after this posting, and i havn't tested the voltages yet.

but i did grab two of the 26650 konions i have lying around here used (i have a bunch) and put them in series, soldered the plug onto them and charged the new pack with the original charger. Now works fine. Even fits in the original little velcro-bag thing that came with the majicshine.

Joe

Hey Joe,

Do you mean the 18650 Konion cells? That's what I plan to do as well.

Ambrose

Well these are 26mm by 65mm in size for sure.

Green plastic wrapped Limn, power tool pack types. Sony US26650VT's

Don't exactly know if they're 'konions'.

joe tomten said:
Well these are 26mm by 65mm in size for sure.

Green plastic wrapped Limn, power tool pack types. Sony US26650VT's

Don't exactly know if they're 'konions'.

Konion is a name of these sony LiMn cells.. no matter the size.
That Konion name come from the german RC guys 3 to 4 years ago who called them like that. I officially never found anything about the manufacture for that.

But for sure the 18650 format are much more popular.

Doc

As the very first tester in AU for the MS light, a few months before that came main stream to the public...I can tell you that the writing was in the wall form the very first step!!! Yes i knocked back the AU/NZ dealer ship...yes I could have sold heaps and make a killing...but I knew they are of low quality, and WILL have dramas...I guess now we know...

but a battery re-call is funny, as when I tested them it was the fake charger, more just a power supply, I had issue with, felt sure that this would mean the cells would get cooked!!...

I could not say anything at the time as it would just look like I had my sales cap on...

stuff only fails when you are using it...you use it when you need it...therefore, it fails when you need it, and when it goes, you wished you have had paid a few more $$, as now you are stuck in the dark!!!...and buddy, its really dark in the OZZY at night...

Proper Prior Preparation, Prevents Pitiful Poor Performance.... the 7 P's....

K

Back