Mark's giant dh team build

markt108

1 mW
So here goes, after meeting jozzer around 10 months a go I was very impressed with his ev creations. Having a back ground of motorbikes for some 17 years I was inspired to build something electric for my self. I decided that the most cost effective option would be a ebike with a hub motor set up.

So I set about ordering up a hs3540 hub motor, 72v 40amp controller, cycle analyst, trottle etc.

I got 4 turnigy 5s 5ah packs from http://www.jozztek.com to give me a 20s 5ah to get started with. I will upgrade to 20s2p 10ah later on then once I am happy with bike I will mod the controller and go 24s2p to give me 88.8v but one step at a time.

So when I got all the bits together I made a quick set up using a old mountain bike I had collecting dust. But on riding it i soon found the bike to be too unstable at anything over 30mph so start hunting down a suitable dh frame after hours of searching I came a cross a giant dh team frame having seen many of you on here using such frames I though it would be a good choice.

I will upload some pictures soon of all the bits and the frame.

I will be making some custom drop out torque arms although did think about buying some of kiwi's drop outs but decided it be more fun and rewarding to make up my own sure I live to regret that one lol.

I'll keep you all posted thanks mark.

I will be mounting batteries in the frame triangle to keep the weight as low possible to not up set handlling. More than likely be building a fibre glass moulded battery box with carbon or Kevlar sides for protection from any objects being able to puncture the battery box In the event of a crash. Will post up pics of th progress and some mock up designs.

Thanks mark

honestly I dont think you'll need 24s for the HS motor... my HT would hit 70 odd on 24s fresh off the charger! the HS would be notably faster (assuming it can get there torque wise). 20s should be a blast though! I'd look into drilling the side covers of the motor at the very least, otherwise heat could quickly become a problem running that power and speed.

looking forward to seeing what you do with the frame! they're great for ebikes, given the space you have in the triangle.

So i picked up some more turnigy batteries that need repairing they all have one cell that either dead or low voltage so going to strip out bad cells and replace with good cells from one of the packs i completely stripped down to cells.

heres a pic.

ill keep you posted to how it all goes once their rebuilt, balanced and tested.

So i made a start on modifying the swing arm to allow the hub motor to be mounted
giant1.JPG
image[3].jpeg
View attachment 2
image[2].jpeg
As you can see i modified the original swing arm mounts from the 12mm bolt through axle in to 10 mm slots so i could slide wheel in from the back of the frame much like a bmx/jump frame would have. I will then back plate to slide over the axles with will fix to the frame to give support and become the torque arms.

Had a few wheel alignment issues with the left to right in the swing arm but believe this is quite common so have re aligned the rim on the hub so it sits more inline with the centre line of the frame i will jig this further still but probably do this when i rebuild the hub on to a stronger dh rim.View attachment 1image[4].jpeg

so got my triple clamp forks, stem and bars today so will start to get my bike built now just awaiting my front wheel to arrive. have repaired some of the lipo packs i got all tested and balanced up perfect. have made a start on cutting steel plate torque arms will up load some pics tomorrow of my progress. mark

So here is what i have managed to find time to do so far the left side torque plate.
All done with just an angle grinder with thin cutting disc.
image8.jpeg
image[10].jpeg
image[7].jpeg
image[8].jpeg
image82.jpgBlack oval dot will be the ten mm slot hole for the motor slotted bolt ends to go throw
the red area indicates another piece of sheet metal cut to fit tight between the to parts of swing arm and the red dots indicate where i will put countersunk bolts the larger being the one that will bolt direct to the aluminum frame.

Let me know your thoughts guys, any improvements you think i could make would be appreciated. I will make a start on the other side tomorrow.

So just a little update and a few pics
made a start on the right hand torque plate with the trusty angle grinder.
image34.jpegimage33.jpeg
Going to try to make a start on prototyping a battery enclosure so i can get this up and running more than likely a plywood box as i have plywood lying around the garage but plan to make either aluminum box or fibreglass and carbon fibre box Any input you guy have on this please share.

I am hoping to make this bike look as factory finished as possible so will more than like make lots of changes to it a long the way till i get it just right.

thanks mark

Here's an update on my build.

I ordered some of Doctorbass torque arm to go a long with the metal plates i have fabricated.

Heres what i have done so far.

torque arm.jpeg

I plan to weld the two plates together and trim the plate to tidy up the final finish of it then i will treat the metal before either having it powder coating or spraying to match the frame.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

thanks mark

Looks really good and I think those plates will be perfect. I wonder it it would have been worth making the plates slightly bogger so they could pick up with the rear brake mounting holes and use longer bolts, this would stop the plate moving about?

Did you get the wheel alignment sorted, of so how and what was making it offset so much?

So i found a bit of time to do some work on the bike i have completed all the repairs to the damaged lipo packs i aqquired so i now i have 3p20s lipo pack so 15ah @ 74v. 84v fresh off the charger.

Modded my controller from 40amps to 70amps wow what a difference that makes took it for a quick blast up the road CA recorded top speed of 42mph not bad so far think i can squeeze bit more out of it yet.

i have made a start on my battery box mock up from plywood and fibre glass finished item will be in carbon fibre if all goes to plan.

heres a pic of how its looking so far.

GetAttachment.aspx.jpg

I will take some more pics when i have made a bit more progress.

Its suprising how heavy 12 x turnigy 5s packs are.

Got the bits i need to make my parallel balance tab boards and my parallel connectors for the 4mm bullets fitted to the turnigy packs.

How much does it weigh with all batteries so far? Mine is 85lbs, more than I planed for sure and that is with 48v 20ah lithium manganeze.

So i sat down the other night and soldered up by balance tab parallel boards so i can parallel three of my packs then series connect each bank of three packs to get my 20s3p battery pack. they have an output connector which i will be using balance tab jumper leads to monitor the cell voltage with battery medic and eventually a bms.

here is a picture of what i have done.

photo(1).JPG

Coincidentally I finished of my Lipo 18s2p case last weekend. here are my balance adapters. very adjacent.

vero balance boards.jpg

vero balance boards underside.jpg

regards Andy

Back