Max regen battery current?

Hey Everyone just read a few articles from endless sphere ... still in the dark. and I feel like this is an easy question has been answered a lot before but I thought this might be quicker I have a 52 V 16ah battery rated for 40 A, (hailong from Grin) a phase runner and cycle analyst I ride with approximately 500 pounds of me and bike trailer and I’m just trying to figure out what’s the maximum E brake help and regenerative braking that I can set up in the phaserunner thanks!

Matteo's Mobile Bicycle Repair said:
Hey Everyone just read a few articles from endless sphere ... still in the dark. and I feel like this is an easy question has been answered a lot before but I thought this might be quicker I have a 52 V 16ah battery rated for 40 A, (hailing from Grin) a phase runner and cycle analyst I ride with approximately 500 pounds of me and bike trailer and I’m just trying to figure out what’s the maximum E break help and regenerative braking that I can set up in the phaserunner thanks!

I would suggest no more than 16A. You will need to get it rideable, and try max regen and read the results on the CA3 after your sure it's calibrated to your dual motor, dual shunt configuration.

Thanks blue seas, I put 20, wonder if that has anything to do with the phaserunner not letting me move the wheel. Did this on the Gmac and now the crystalyte too (still waiting on second phaserunner) just thought to get ride of the grinfeon controller but of course finding more complications...

BlueSeas said:
Matteo's Mobile Bicycle Repair said:
Hey Everyone just read a few articles from endless sphere ... still in the dark. and I feel like this is an easy question has been answered a lot before but I thought this might be quicker I have a 52 V 16ah battery rated for 40 A, (hailing from Grin) a phase runner and cycle analyst I ride with approximately 500 pounds of me and bike trailer and I’m just trying to figure out what’s the maximum E break help and regenerative braking that I can set up in the phaserunner thanks!

I would suggest no more than 16A. You will need to get it rideable, and try max regen and read the results on the CA3 after your sure it's calibrated to your dual motor, dual shunt configuration.

Would you be willing to video chat and look at the setting with me ever?

Sure. Apple FaceTime OK? Or Skype. I'm ok tomorrow morning. Have a wine delivery between 9-10, but that won't take but a couple minutes. I'm also up pretty early.

BlueSeas said:
Sure. Apple FaceTime OK? Or Skype. I'm ok tomorrow morning. Have a wine delivery between 9-10, but that won't take but a couple minutes. I'm also up pretty early.

I have to head to work early next two days. Take advantage of the good weather and would probably be home late. Perhaps Thursday morning? It’s raining that day so I’ll be home. And yes Apple FaceTime works. Txt me so I have your number, thanks you so much! 647-879-7486

Matteo, my second search leads to you my new online friend as I have the exact same question.

Blueseas - thank you for your answer in this thread. Perhaps both of you can share a little insight and experience since you had this discussion?

I have a Phaserunner with a 52V 14.8Ah battery rated for 55A max discharge.

Based on my research I too came vague understanding of setting the Regen limit to a max of 15A and the Regen Phase limit to 30A.

What I find is these settings add very little braking power. I'm not looking for actual regen gains back into the battery, more so just additional braking power if possible.

I know I'm tainted by test riding my new setups with 'default' settings in the phaserunner (40A regen limit, 80A regen phase limit LOL) and thankful I didn't break anything - but WOW...that was some serious braking power!

I also saw a video by Justin of Grin doing a demo of using regen braking only on a rear hub motor coming to a complete stop and it was impressive (can't find the video now after a quick look, sorry).

My thinking is to have strong regen braking as an 'extra brake' or emergency brake on demand - if it's safe to do so. Say I have a rear brake failure during a ride, I could use the ebrakes and then the throttle to use the motor to help me stop, be my braking on the ride home if I can't repair trail side, etc.

@BlueSeas - Any deeper insight/experience into your understanding of the 16A suggestion you gave Matteo would be awesome if you don't mind sharing. I think I understand it but always appreciate the chance to learn from others.

Thanks everyone, take care.

Back