May 16 ATA Melbourne Aus meeting

Okay, in order to ensure Mrs Kabbage is looking her best lets make it Thursday night at my place in Surrey Hills. I'll PM everyone my address soon.

Feel free to bring your bike along. I'll supply the beers and venue, and order some pizzas for delivery about 8pm. (Let me know any preferences)

Let's say about 7:30pm start. But I might still be trying to get the little guys off to bed.

And if anyone else is interested, feel free to give us a yell. The more the merrier.

Oh and for those that want to drink more, it is about a 2min walk from the 109 tram stop, or 10min walk from the the Surrey Hills train station to my place.

Kabbage said:
There is some disconnect here, since you say you have kids (which more-than-implies a relationship with a woman), however, you exhibit a complete lack of understanding with regards to the time taken for a woman to have a haircut. How can that be? Maybe the woman you have a relationship with has never had a haircut?

They take *hours*. I don't know how, or why, but they do. I probably won't see her home until 11. (and don't get me started on the cost of a woman's haircut - if mine costs more than $12 I consider it a rip-off.)

Gold! Would be funny if it wasn't true :roll:

Glenn

Thanks for hosting us last night Adrian, it was good to meet you and the boys.

The product looks great; hope it goes really well.

I particularly liked your 'on/off' button throttle with the electronic ramping. Would it be possible to replace my thumb throttle with one and plug straight into the 'standard' throtttle plug on my Infineon from ebike.ca? (How well waterproofed are they?)

Also thanks for the ride on the Bafang full-throttle, was fun to try another bike; although I'm super glad I went for a thumb throttle rather than the half twist.

And finally, thanks for making the time to improve the ANZ cross-dutch relations Kiwi, have a safe trip back.

Oh, and I've lost another 3 spokes on the c'lyte; hence the wobble from the back Full-Throttle!

Yeah. It was a good night of shooting the breeze. Might have to organize something similar again sometime.

As for replacing a hall throttle with a button throttle. Yeah it is possible but nothing off the shelf to do it. The simplest version would be a voltage divider type network. Just measure the voltage your throttle spits out at zero and full throttle, and design the resistor network to match. There is probably a post floating around on this site somewhere that shows a schematic. Obviously that will be instant on/off. With no ramping up that happens at the moment while you twist your throttle. Might be okay for low power.

If you want ramping of the power then you might need to make things more complex with a capacitor. Or jump to digital world and use a little Arduino board like I do.

Thanks Adrian for organising - I had great time. Beers, pizza and bike talk :)
Good to see we agree on so many things.

Kabbage said:
Oh, and I've lost another 3 spokes on the c'lyte
Your bike goes well. That HS35 pulls very nicely. Hope it wasn't me breaking the spokes :oops:

Hi, was great to meet you all and talk bikes.

Have contacted Bafang to try to see if I can get a cassette motor like
2012110110705.JPG

and see what else they might sell me.

Adrain, have spent the morning looking for cells to make a compact Lipo pack, and lipo bms. Only http://www.hi-powercycles.com/ seem to be selling true lipo with a bms.
It amazes me that there is not a high rate lipo pack available commercially with bms. I found no sexy battery packs for in frame mounting. None.
I calculated 350x60x90mm case to fit about 440wh and bms and room for your speed controller and control board. As a guess.

I was very impressed with your friction drive and the potential simplicity to the user. Would be keen to represent them in NZ when they are sorted. Happy to help where I can, design, cad etc.

Kiwi

Kiwi said:
Have contacted Bafang to try to see if I can get a cassette motor like....

OOh. that looks really nice. Proper clearance for a real disc caliper, and can take a good quality 9sp cassette, rather than the rather rubbish one I have now... sweet. I'd buy one of them off you tomorrow Kiwi! (Sensored please)

Kiwi said:
Adrain, have spent the morning looking for cells to make a compact Lipo pack, and lipo bms. Only http://www.hi-powercycles.com/ seem to be selling true lipo with a bms.

Cripes, them's some $$ for just 500 cycles. And considering the base price of the Turnigy bricks, seems a bit exe.

@ Kabbage. Pretty hard to beat Hobby King prices and their minimal overheads. But the other pack comes from a "real" store with BMS and will be closer to you ideal plug and play setup. You just have to pay the price for convenience and performance as always. :lol:

@ Kiwi.
Thanks for the great chat, we will have to stay in touch. I'll PM you my details.

As I said I would prefer to transition to a more modern safer chemistry/cells than RC LiPo. If only EIG had 10Ah cells in a nice form factor for bikes, then the ideas we threw around might fly. http://www.eigbattery.com/ I believe Zero are using these cells. http://www.eigbattery.com/eng/product/C020.pdf
174wh/kg & 370wh/L compared to a raw HobbyKing LiPo packs 140wh/kg, and 280wh/L.

Interesting that hi-powercycles have a 50Amp BMS on the pack they offer. I need to search a bit more on what off-the-shelf options there are. But I would probably be happy with just a balancing circuit since I control the rest of the system for my kit.

Thanks for the kind words on my friction drive. I'll definitely keep you updated on it's progress.

Cheers, Adrian

Back