Melb Australia Group ride Sat 10th Nov 2012

Bugger, looks like I missed out on really good meet. Bloody work function.

Hopefully i will see a few of you tomorrow though.

Just a heads up. I think I need to push the meeting time out to 11.30am. Hyena's plane lands at 9.35am. He then needs to hire a car and get to my place. We then have about a 20 minute ride to the meeting place. I think 11.00am will be too tight.

Hmm. Ive organised with jay to pick him up at 9.45 and come straight out from tulla. Eleven should be ok?

It was great to meet everyone - thanks for the ride today.

I think next time I should think twice about doing the "adventure off-road alternate ending" because I Almost Ended up in the Yarra. Here we were belting through the bush on a narrow track on the steep banks of the yarra. I lost my balance a bit and slipped off the trail.. Luckily, I managed to grab a tree at high speed with one arm. So there I was with one arm holding the tree, the other holding the bike from a certain watery yarra death. Lucky Luke was there to give me a hand up. Cheers for that.

So we continued on (as you do) and on the way back... typical E-Bike pinch-flat. SO I ended up having to walk from the Boathouse back to where i parked the car near Full Throttle's place. What a great day!! :D

Also, the image below is of the most awesome re-purposed hydration bag I have ever seen for e-bikes. I would like to organise a group buy if I can find them online. I will open a thread in another group somewhere... *** EDIT*** Bad news. PCYCH Hydration frame bags are no longer available.. the website is gone and I can't find any recent links. Occasionally they come up on ebay, but not the place for a group buy.. there is another site similar however, But they don't look as good. http://www.hydrathon.com/product.html

Some pics:
View attachment 3
20121110_114238 [800x600].jpg
20121110_103804 [800x600].jpg
20121110_123846 [800x600].jpg

And just some proof for the above story
20121110_150317 [800x600].jpg

Bye for now
Andy

Thanks everyone for coming along for another great group ride. Quite a turn out, with nearly every flavour of ebike represented.

Andy. Ouch. Sounds like a classic save. And don't feel bad, nearly everyone I know that has done those trails has a similar story, just ask full-throttle.

RevBecca. Made my way out to CERES but couldn't find you. Oh well. Hope it went well.

Wow 20 bikes is a fair turn out, lots more than I've managed to round up at the few sydney meets we've had.
Nice save and dust up Andy.

I see full-throttle is full-crawling! :p

She must be great to put up with your bike habit!

Glenn. Listening to the video really makes the motor sound loud. :shock:

You can also hear that the drive is not engaging properly. You need to increase the spring tension such that it takes the weight of the motor. Just undo the grub screw on the shaft collar, rotate it anti-clockwise a bit (when looking from the right hand side of the bike) then do it up again. It is spelt out in more detail in the set-up instructions in the manual.

Oh and thanks for bringing the friction drive along on the ride, even though it didn't like the water on the tracks.

That looks like you guys had a great time! And the weather was perfect for it. I've worked out it's a faulty halls sensor that kept me home, but replacements are in the mail and I'm looking forward to the next scheduled group run :)

Another ride missed!, but i may enlist some help from you guys. Is anyone competent enough in swapping out stators in a Magic Pie 2? My usual person is too busy atm and is sending my old hub plus another stator back from QLD. Can anyone have a look at it if things prove too difficult?. Will happily drop off/ pick up/ reimburse.

Cheers Jordan

Gday millzy. You might try sending a pm to revbecca. They sell them in melb and may service? Good luck.

If RevCycles can't do it Millzy, I reckon I could "give it a shot"... I know that's not necessarily what you want to hear, n not meaning to be flippant, but I haven't pulled a stator out of a large motor yet (removed many a side cover from the biguns and stators from smaller geared motors but have not tried to overcome the magnetic force of the larger motors like Nine continents or Cohnis) I THINK the Magic Pie's are of this larger type variety. However... i do have a couple of Cohnis motors that I am wanting to practice dissassembly on, and have read up about it on Endless a bit... so..

If Rev can't do it... i am more than happy to practice for a day on a couple of my motors, and assuming I am happy with my competence in the task we can do the work on your Mag Pie 2... No re-imbursement as the experience for me will be worth it.

Joe

Once you've got the side cover off it's just a matter of putting the axle against the ground (or in a vise or something) and pushing down on the rim. This has been discussed multiple times across different threads here on ES. But if you do plan to properly be able to service motors then spend a few bucks and invest in a 3 jaw puller, it'll make life alot easier

And be bloody careful when you go to put it back together. Once it gets close it will very VERY quickly pull the stator back into the magnet ring.

It won't care if your fingers are in the way.

adrian_sm said:
And be bloody careful when you go to put it back together. Once it gets close it will very VERY quickly pull the stator back into the magnet ring.

It won't care if your fingers are in the way.

Ooooh Yah... that is my prime reason for not wanting to go about this half arsed, and why I have read everything I can find here first !

Joe

millzy555 said:
Cool thanks for the replies. I've managed to get the stator out before to repair a wire, so will see how hard it is to transfer the phase/hall wires. Already got the warning about the magnets :D

Cool stuff mate... Take Pics!!!

My tools n 'shop and two cats R available if ya need em.

joe

winkinatcha said:
My tools n 'shop and two cats R available if ya need em.
The feline type or have you got 2 hip guys working for you ? :lol:

Hyena said:
The feline type or have you got 2 hip guys working for you ? :lol:
LOL

"build Fixies and they will come...."

:lol:

However my workshop has been known to be visited by fitness models... vis:

TamnDrill.gif... which if I was less of an upstanding and uber PC guy I COULD refer to with an apellation of Feline origin :twisted:

Joe

Well i've opened it up and from what i can see not much looks wrong. I've repaired all the broken wires and still my problem exists- Turn throttle = starts then immediately cuts out? Could this be a short still??. Rev-cycles dont open til Monday so was hoping to get this sorted ASAP after waiting 4 weeks

Mmmm dude I can think of Sooo many potential things causing this... how much testing have you done on your electrics? I reckon at this stage you want to knoww whether everything is correct and functioning from your battery to your wheel... You may already be certain there and have positively identified the wheel as the problem.. however if not, I reckon it's time to go into troubleshooting mode... basically Isolate and test from battery, through to controller, first for continuity and then to see if you can see what is happening when you do the first throttle thing.... (Eg have a volt/amp reading going on when you do it)...

If I was doing it I'd pop the wheel in my test rig, and run a known working low amp controller through it, checking out current draw etc... that way i could tell if the wheel is the prob of if it is upstream...

That testing shizzle I am well set up for... Partic if you are running 26" wheel size or less... as that's the size of my testing rig... Blah blah blah

Joe

Back