Mid-mount Hubmonster Madass

Nope - because I still haven't progressed this project any further than my last post.

Instead I bought a Surron l1e and got it road legal, now I'm modifying that instead.

I still want to do the Madass - but that's going to have to wait until I've built a new workshop.

Has anyone tried using statorade and custom hubsinks? At higher RPMs the G-force might prevent a good thermal bridge between the stator and the magnets, especially if used in a mid drive setup. But if used in any sort of start stop traffic, the low RPMs could allow for a bridge. Maybe the rim flange could be used as a place to secure the heatsinks?

TorgueRPM said:
Has anyone tried using statorade and custom hubsinks? At higher RPMs the G-force might prevent a good thermal bridge between the stator and the magnets, especially if used in a mid drive setup. But if used in any sort of start stop traffic, the low RPMs could allow for a bridge. Maybe the rim flange could be used as a place to secure the heatsinks?

Not that I know of. I know only one other person whose even bothered with cooling mods, because the high efficiency pays such good temp dividends. The high efficiency works wonders with motor temps. I'm seeing even cooler temps pushed with dual Nucular 12F controllers on a bone stock sealed HubMonster pushing an all up 200kg+ load.that regularly sees 80-100kph (max is over 120kph with 0 field weakening and 100% speed setting) and 20kw+ during most accelerations.

I'm glad I got reminded of this thread. I'm finally getting around to trying a HubMonster as a mid-drive. It will be vented with dual 12F Nucular controllers in the air intake path inside of the fiberglass motor shell I'll do. The goal is a on/off roader, and my 21" moto wheels have a 27" OD inflated tire diameter. I don't have a good enough match with the pulley stock I have, so I'm going with chain to see how quiet I can get a strong (08B chain) chain drive. The 28t to 57t reduction gets me down to the same gearing as if I had it running a 13" OD wheel, so with 20kw on tap it will climb anything.

Once I decide on batteries I come up with a design and start a thread and post pics. I just finished work on the motor shell and reduced the spinning mass of the cast steel shell of the motor from 5.8kg to 4.1kg . Since my own MadAss Hubmonster powered conversion has such heavy components from the original front end, swingarm+shock and wheels, I think I'll be able to more than double the battery capacity yet weigh significantly less. I just hope I can turn what's been rattling around in my head for several years into something that looks as good as it functions. It should outdo any Sur-Ron on steroids is every performance aspect without that electric chainsaw sound that I find unacceptable after so many years on hubbies.

Hi John. Will you be posting that mid drive badass in a separate thread or post it here? Would love to see how that thing turns out. But I don't have much time lately for the forum so when I do it's getting harder and harder to remember which threads to look up and check for updates, I guess what I am really asking could you post a link here if you make a new thread ;)

macribs said:
Hi John. Will you be posting that mid drive badass in a separate thread or post it here? Would love to see how that thing turns out. But I don't have much time lately for the forum so when I do it's getting harder and harder to remember which threads to look up and check for updates, I guess what I am really asking could you post a link here if you make a new thread ;)

It will get it's own thread. I just need to remember to take pics along the way, not just at the end like I did with my own MadAss. I think most of the components I'll do 2 at a time, since I have plenty of motors. I still have a dozen Mini-Monsters and I've been promising Sn0wychyld to get a stator rewound to about double the Kv and gut the 2 speed (series/parallel switching) to make it a 20kw+ motor. Hopefully in this coming year I can talk Vasility into 150V controllers, so I can find out the true potential of a HubMonster. :twisted:

Back