Mongoose FatTire Build Pics

plebe

10 mW
Just thought I'd post pics of a Fat Tire e-bike I made a while ago. It started as a Mongoose WalMart bike (sad to say I bought from them. :*( ), and added disc brakes and fairing. Motor is rear (135mm drop out) to fit wide-front forks. I had to cross the spokes when lacing to dish it enough to work. Tricky, but was super-strong! It's got a Sturmey Archer 3-speed with an old-school chopper shift-lever mounted on top-tube. It was generally fun, but sadly, it was pretty terrible handling (Almost broke a tooth it was so bumpy!) due to the geometry, and the power in the front (40a/53V) fatigued the forks quite a bit, so I quit before it failed on me catastrophically. Sure was fun while it lasted and got a lot of attention. Maybe I'll resurrect it with shocks someday. :)

IMG_1477.JPG
View attachment 18
IMG_4203.JPG
View attachment 16
IMG_4206.JPG
IMG_4210.JPG
View attachment 13
IMG_4220.JPG
IMG_4225.JPG
IMG_4247.JPG
IMG_4250.JPG
View attachment 8
IMG_4255.JPG
IMG_4269.JPG
IMG_4274.JPG
IMG_4290.JPG
IMG_4291.JPG
IMG_4296.JPG
IMG_4297.JPG
IMG_4300.JPG

Looks pretty cool but I always wonder why you ( and most!) went with a front motor in stead of a rear one?

Nice work and good looking welds.

Tom

Hi Tom,

The reason I used a rear motor is that the drop out width is for 135mm, which is what the front dropout width is on a fat tire bike. The rear is even wider (180mm?). So therefore a rear motor works in the front as a drop-in replacement without modifying the forks. However, it's dished, so I had to cross the spokes to make it work. That was a tricky one. :)

tahustvedt said:
Nice mods.

What tires are those? I haven't seen 26" fatbike tires like that before.

They are actually 24" rims but the tires take the circumference up to 26", so it's like rolling on 26" wheels. I looked all over the internet for a pair, which I typically bought from cycles.us ( http://www.choppersus.com/store/ ), but he seems out of stock quite often. So I found a German site which seems to carry a lot of cool custom stuff. It took a long time to get the tire, but was the exact type I was looking for to match the rear. Classic Cycles in Germany ( http://classic-cycle.de )

Drunkskunk said:
Very cool build. Since you can weld, have you considered improving the geometry a bit?

Also, what tires are those? I need some for the Monster.

Ha! Yes, actually I thought about reviving it and changing the front forks to shocks with a beefy stem to take the torque loads (2000W is a lot of torque!). And cutting the rear, adding a pivot, and a rear shock behind the seat stays. This would make a much better ride for sure. I just may do that!

so it looks like the em3ev bag fits in the frame triangle just barely. Im thinking about picking up the new mongoose fatbike that comes standard with a 7 speed and disk brakes, but wasnt sure if my battery would fit in the frame. I have a 76v battery from paul, but it does fit in the bag he sells, so my fingers are crossed

danjpendleton said:
so it looks like the em3ev bag fits in the frame triangle just barely. Im thinking about picking up the new mongoose fatbike that comes standard with a 7 speed and disk brakes, but wasnt sure if my battery would fit in the frame. I have a 76v battery from paul, but it does fit in the bag he sells, so my fingers are crossed

Yes, it was a bit of a tight fit. Also, to lessen shock, I packed it all the way around with the foam packing it came wrapped in. Seemed like a good firm foam. I ran a few layers along the bottom/back and top, and couple along the sides. My pack never gets hot, but I did leave a space around the BMS in back. You will probably get it to fit, though mine was a 54V (58V full charge) pack so might be a little smaller.

Good luck!

thanks for the quick response! and nice bike!

they just released the mongoose dolomite- standard with a 7spd cassette and disk brakes for $249 shipped!

I think im going to buy it regardless of whether the electric conversion works out. Still seems like a pretty cool bike for the trails. (but Im sure I can get it epowered :wink: )

Hey Plebe,

Do you have any photos of the completed bike with the front fairing? I'd love to see it.

ambroseliao said:
Hey Plebe,

Do you have any photos of the completed bike with the front fairing? I'd love to see it.

Yeah, but I don't have them. I'll see if I can dig them up with a request to my brother. Hang tight!

Nice build.
I'm wondering if spending some more for a bike up-grade would make sense for a conversion like this?
Like this bike;
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/fat-bikes/fat-bikes-bullseye-monster.htm
It has a crome moly fork and while it's 2 to 3 times the price of the Wallyfats, it's still cheap compared to a Surley.

motomech said:
Nice build.
I'm wondering if spending some more for a bike up-grade would make sense for a conversion like this?
Like this bike;
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/fat-bikes/fat-bikes-bullseye-monster.htm
It has a crome moly fork and while it's 2 to 3 times the price of the Wallyfats, it's still cheap compared to a Surley.

Yeah I don't see why it wouldn't be a good fit for a conversion. Go for it! :) I did another commuter bike that I typically use day-to-day to get to work, which I bought from bikes direct. Brakes not the best, so I'm working on switching to the Avid BB calipers.

commuter.jpg

plebe said:
ambroseliao said:
Hey Plebe,

Yeah, but I don't have them. I'll see if I can dig them up with a request to my brother. Hang tight!

Here's some pics I dredged up of some friends riding the bike. Not the best pics but gives a sense for what it looked like on the road. As I say, not on the road anymore! :(

biEk-1.jpg
biEk-2.jpg
biEk-3.jpg

Back