• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Montreal to Massachusetts: The good, bad and ugly

krusty

100 µW
I rarely post much but I thought my recent experience might be of some use to someone, sometime. Last week I rode from Montreal to Lowell, MA, covering somewhere in the ballpark of 330 miles over three days southeast through Quebec, Vermont and New Hampshire. My bike is a homebrew mid-drive concoction based on some unknown model of Cannondale frame that I bought used on ebay roughly 15 years ago, sporting parts ranging from old-fancy (Shimano XTR, etc.) to some more recent AliExpress bits and pieces.

I should emphasize that this was a completely stupid venture, brought on only because I had a "free" place to stay in Montreal ("free" since I have to pay my daughter's university housing over the summer when she doesn't have school) and as it happened the family was going to be in Lowell for that weekend for other reasons. So, like an idiot, I figured "why not bike down from Montreal and meet them there? Which I did, but I wouldn't recommend it--or at least not the way I did it.

Info on me:
52 years old, not terrible shape but not great either. Used to bike a lot, but then I got old. I'm not terribly fat but neither am I terribly fit.

Info on my bike:
Cannondale 29'er aluminum frame, all finish sanded off (because I used it to commute to NY city some years ago before I made it into an eBike)
Bafang BBS-HD motor, stock firmware but with custom settings. 850 or 860 display, not sure which.
1x 52V ~17Ah Hailong battery
1x 52V ~17Ah EM3Ev battery
Battery joining module from eBay or AliExpress: basically takes 2 batteries and feeds higher or sum to output. Actually works pretty well.
Luggage carrying system jerry-rigged by me to take Milwaukee "Packout" modules on rear cargo rack
~2.5" Schwalbe almotion something-or-other tires

The trip:
Quebec is beautiful. Montreal is full of bike lanes, and dedicated bike paths extend from the city in practically every direction. The farmland outside Montreal toward to US border smells horribly of cow manure, but it is very pretty and even the regular roads are so empty of traffic that it makes for a pleasant ride. And It is all dead flat. It was some 65 miles or so from Montreal to the crossing I took at "Morses Line".

The border crossing was cute. The Canadian side wouldn't open until I brought my bike up to trigger some kind of sensor, then the gate let me out and suddenly I was in Vermont! A little ways into the US side there was a shack with a CBP officer who thought I was nuts, but my US passport was legit so he had to let me past. Things here close early, so do NOT arrive at the border after 4pm or bad things may happen--such as you having to sneak across the border in some dude's field a mile or so away. Fortunately I was on time so I am not currently an illegal resident of my own country.

Once into the US, instantly the hills began. I was headed for the Lamoille Valley Rail Trail and I picked it up a few miles into Vermont. TBH the trail was quite a let-down; I'd been riding nice paved roads in Quebec and Vermont with zero cars for 40+ miles and now I was on a boring gravel trail. Of course there still weren't any cars, which was nice, but the drag from the gravel was immediately noticeable and what I didn't notice (at first) was that it began a slow and steady up-slope that eventually reached nearly 2000 feet (on day 2). The trail eventually got more interesting (though also steeper) as I got toward St Johnsbury the next day, but the 20 miles or so nearest Lake Champlain was rather dull and had a coarse red gravel that kind of sucked. The gravel further east on this trail is a finer, lest battery-sucking stuff.

Ended up day 1 in Morrisville, VT after about 110 miles traveled. I was very glad I hadn't booked a hotel further along the trail because the last 20 miles or so was a real slog and my batteries were down to 47V or so. I had started at 100% (~58.8V) but I had been pretty careful to pedal as much as possible and not rely on the battery more than necessary.

Day 2 began at 6am with 100% charge and me feeling good. Except my ass hurt--badly. I had gotten saddle sores on day1 and that would prove a big problem that day and the next. This day I had to get off the Lamoille rail trail and onto regular roads and I learned how important it is to find good route planning software. Do NOT rely on Google Maps! I had done a shit-ton of research in the weeks before the trip so I knew the basic route options in my head, but never did I expect that my mapper would just stop working as soon as it lost internet connection. Well, Google Maps does that: it will forget a route if you once are careless and swipe the app the wrong way or something while off internet. Then it says it can't calculate the route (the same route it knew a moment before) and you are totally screwed. Also it picks routes that are totally impassible (this happened twice to me, the second time adding a couple of miles of backtracking) and sometimes it ignores much nicer parallel routes I discovered later that would have kept me from riding along the edge of horrible 55 mph New Hampshire highways. In short Google Maps is garbage for bike route planning as of May, 2024. I did try some alternatives as I was stewing in my hotel that 2nd night, but I was dead tired and not in a state to properly research that kind of thing.

I ended Day 2 in Tilton NH after about 130 miles of riding. The very last part was horrible because I had been way too easy with the throttle toward the end, slightly misjudging the remaining distance as I tried to spare my aching butt. I reached Franklin NH with batteries completely drained, only to find out that there was another 5 miles to go on an uphill rail trail in the gathering dark and rain. That was when I realized what a total slug my bike was without motor support: this part would have been a cinch if I'd just had even 1 more volt in the battery packs. What should have been a nice ride along the river instead completely sucked and I was hating life.

Another night's sleep, another day, some coffee and 100% batteries. This day I only had to go 80 miles but my ass was so raw I could barely pedal so I decided to see what would happen if I literally did nothing and let the motor do all the work. I motored from Tilton to Franklin and down through Boscawen NH, visited some ancestors graves there and then continued through Concord, Manchester and down to the MA line. Much to my surprise, the batteries got me close to 80 miles that day with almost no pedalling at all! I hit 0% battery (and 0% human battery) just a short ways from Lowell MA, where I was picked up by my wife who was in town for a rowing regatta along with the rest of the family.

That last day was actually kind of embarassing because it made me wonder how much I had even contributed to the whole ride. All along I thought I was pedalling at least as much as the battery was contributing, but then on Day 3 when I did nothing I could still go nearly as far (80 miles vs.110 and 130 miles on the days I pedalled myself to exhaustion.) But to be totally fair, those pedalling days were also significantly net uphill, while the last day was almost entirely down a river valley. So it isn't quite as bad as that and certainly I did a lot of work, though the batteries probably did somewhat more.

I'll try and post some pictures from the trip sometime soon if I get a chance.

Krusty

Hey Krusty, thanks for sharing your story on the trip! Looking forward to some pics! What's approx weight of outfitted bike? Suspension or not? I can't imagine being on a bike seat for 130 mile day.

Nice report. I think that will help many folks thinking along the same lines. Just imagine if two things were different .... better route planning and a better "conditioned" posterior.

I’ve done a fair amount of unsupported ebike camping trips. I learned early on to plan well below the range of my battery pack. The longest day I ever had was 100 miles and that was because there was absolutely no place to stop for the night. I tried to stop at state parks where I could usually find an electrical outlet or a motel if the weather was bad. I primarily used Komoot for mapping and for the most part it did well at keeping me off of the busiest roads but I did often look at Google Maps as a back up.
Here are some tips;
join WarmShowers, there are a multitude of fine folks willing to share their homes for a night but be aware that some are anti ebike so be sure to find out before you show up at their door.
Never pass up an opportunity to charge, if there is an available outlet take a break and sit a while.
Plan on 50 or 60% of your expected battery range just in case ( hills, headwinds, detours, closed campgrounds etc.)
Padded shorts and a Cloud9 seat😁

@Zambam, I can only guess the weight but it is ridiculously heavy with two batteries onboard! Probably in the ballpark of 80 pounds, plus the weight of tools, clothes, etc. And I also wore a backpack with two laptops in it (because I'd been working in Montreal for a couple of weeks). I'm about 215 pounds so all-in the bike + me must have been pushing three-fitty.

I forgot to mention that sometime on the 2nd day the bottom bracket started making a gritty creak when I would pedal (but not under motor power). I started worrying the bracket might have cracked, but I haven't taken it apart to inspect yet. I think most likely it is just the badly designed Bafang retainer nut working loose over time and letting in a bit of sand from the trail. Anyway I've pretty much decided I will retire this poor, abused frame and replace it with something made of steel (I'm thinking maybe a Surly Ogre frame.) This won't help the weight, but at least I won't be so afraid of the bike snapping in half at 30mph going down a hill!

Here are some pictures from the route...

Leaving Montreal by the Jacques Cartier bridge, then west to Chambly and southwest to the VT border at Morse's Line...
PXL_20240517_112357843.MEDIUM.jpegPXL_20240517_115743800.MEDIUM.jpeg
Chambly Canal. Quebec is full of excellent bike trails and the rural roads aren't bad either. Its really a beautiful place to bike.
PXL_20240517_133314638.MEDIUM.jpeg
Covered bridge in Quebec. There were a ridiculous number of covered bridges on this trip!
PXL_20240517_165234442.MEDIUM.jpeg
Canadian border exit crossing
PXL_20240517_171942110.MEDIUM.jpeg

US border. Quebec had been dead-flat but it started getting hilly almost as soon as I was in the USA.
PXL_20240517_172056944.MEDIUM.jpeg
PXL_20240517_172833098.MEDIUM.jpeg

Lamoille Valley Rail Trail. The western part had this loose red gravel that killed efficiency but it got finer and better packed after I got further east the next day.
PXL_20240517_181040003.MEDIUM.jpeg
Somehow they know in Vermont which locations will be historic in the future.
PXL_20240517_194038512.MEDIUM.jpeg
PXL_20240517_195244181.MEDIUM.jpeg
I picked motels that had doors opening to the street so I could wheel my bike in. Charged to 100% overnight (which I would never do except on a trip like this!)
PXL_20240517_230415873.MEDIUM.jpeg
I didn't take many pictures on day 2 or 3 but this was from day 2 at the highest elevation on the Lamoille trail, around 1800 feet.
PXL_20240518_132353390.MEDIUM.jpeg
In Boscawen NH I foolishly wanted to bike a particular ancient road because it still bears my family name, having been my ancestors homestead in the 1700's. This might have been a nice, if steep, road for horse drawn wagons but it was a horrible slog for me (and it was raining, humid and buggy). Glad I did it...won't be doing it again. The pic doesn't really show it but I'd guess this grade is around 20% and it was something like a 600 foot climb and descent over about a mile.
PXL_20240519_130626969.MEDIUM.jpeg

End of the line just outside Lowell, MA waiting to be picked up by my lovely wife! I couldn't have ridden one tire revolution further at that point.
PXL_20240519_180916402.jpg

Great pics. I grew up in and around Montreal and used to go to Vermont and NY state quite often (just didn't bike down from Montreal).

I think you did pretty well in terms of human power input. You likely had just over 1300 whr of battery to use (assuming the BMS voltage safety cutoffs were around 45-46v). So on your 100-130 mile runs you were at 10-13 wh/mile which given the surfaces and grades you were cycling over you means were also putting in a very reasonable amount of work.

On your next trip (and yeah I know this was more of a last minute trip) I would suggest not putting any weight on your back, that only makes saddle problems worse (it's harder to shift positions) and is hard on your back making everything more uncomfortable. Packing everything on your bike with front/rear panniers or behind it on a pull along trailer would make you a lot more comfortable.

The Surly Ogre is IMHO a great choice for your next ebike. It is indeed very strong and dependable. I have read about quite a few very successful Ogre/BBSHD setups. I have 2 Surly based ebikes (a CrossCheck for a lighter weight road/gravel bike and a Bridge Club for year round commuting) but both are hub motor based.

Back