Moon Lander Anti Gravity Machine

yawstick

100 W
I saw these on the walmart website and had to have one... long time since I bought a new walmart bike... they are really cheap built.
Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet. I've put a different crank set on it and the seat is from the KX 85.
Gonna put helium in the tires to increase hang time.

mongoose3.jpg

The seat and mount for it was a bit of a quick and dirty just to get it rideable. I've ordered a bunch of motors from China but no word yet on when they'll get here. I didnt find out until the day after I ordered them that they also have the 6374 in a sensored version. I already have some sensored controllers from what I think is the same source as the Alien Power ones. I'm going non hub on this thing and will probably hang the motor and reduction off the seat post and rear seat stays. I'm making a similar seat from scratch, as this one will be going back on the KX 85 once the motors get here.

I didnt see it until today but panurge already has something on the road with this bike.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=59877

These bikes look great but the wheels are a little worrying the way they are spoked up with no triangulation, it looks like the spokes from either side of the hub are parallel as they go out to the rim, this will not be good for lateral rigidity and make them a nightmare to true.

About the 6374 sensored:
I'd be reluctant to share that at this point for a couple of reasons. Number one being I've yet to receive motors from them myself. Secondly they don't advertise or have a link to that motor. It was only revealed to me that they had such a motor the day after I had placed an order and was told I could not change it. It has been a bit of a tester. Ironically the gal who handled my order went out to have a baby and supposedly did not document my order so that it could be tracked by her colleague. It has all the hallmarks of a nightmare. Only about three weeks since I placed the order and the new mother has returned. Hopefully this story will have a happy ending but a bit gloomy at the moment.

Tench said:
These bikes look great but the wheels are a little worrying the way they are spoked up with no triangulation, it looks like the spokes from either side of the hub are parallel as they go out to the rim, this will not be good for lateral rigidity and make them a nightmare to true.

I would have to agree... I bought this bike before having seen some of the other posts about it... looking like I'm going to be a wind dummy in more ways than one here.

I also recently acquired one of the Schwinn OCC bikes which has a similar rear wheel. At first I thought this bike might be a way to use up a bunch of wheels left over from that bike. Closer inspection reveals that they are from a different extrusion and the hole pattern on the Schwinn is much more close to normal.

mongoose.jpg

Thanks for that... so much going on on this site its hard to keep up with it all. My intention with this bike is sort of a clown bike wheelie monster with no intent of it being a legal ebike. Though in my area you could probably get away with quite a bit before provoking the long arm of the law. If it became an issue I would probably try to pass it off as a moped.

Hey
Yes the stock rims are crazy!!! they have 64mm hole spacing and single wall, weinmann rims are double wall better alloy. They are 50mm Hole spacing (dhl100) or similar to the schwinn ones and even more centered for the dhl101 (couldn't get one anywhere) and dhl80 (80mm wide)
ALso the first thing to do is to replace the rear derailleur and shifter, and, if you plan to use the bike even by pedal only and weights more than an average 8-13 Y.O. boy, please look for another rear hub and BB....
About spokes, I've laced my wheel 2cross interlaced, with 2.5mm moped spokes, (the most stupid and non-sense wheel I've laced for the most stupid bike I owned :mrgreen:) and it seems to be ok until now :shock:

Cheers

Good for you, that's cool...shops that stock and sells DHL100 and 80 here......said that's a new product they cant stock right now and I've to wait. perhaps I've to wait less than what figured out.... :)
I agree that this kind of bike scream for a power middrive or big scooter hub, But is only the "kind" and not the bike, I think....It's too short...and anyway a WM cheapo bike made with 10 y.o. boys in mind, I wouldn't trust that frame so much, even if it's for sure the best thing into the whole bike....maybe mod and reinforce it should be enough, but I'm more prone to a new one...than.
For sure, with or without motor, the Bike is a clown....
Cheers

A bit of a false alarm on the DHL101... while the 26 inch version is easy to find the 20 inch version is not so. A follow up trip in person to the bike shop and I found the only 20 inch rim they could get was the DHL100.

Getting a little closer to getting back on this. Got the motor order I had been looking for and now having some pulleys made to order in China.

I just saw something on a bike parts site about some BMX rims that were designed to be cross laced. This is where the spokes go from one side of the hub to the opposite side of the rim from where they would normally go. Wondering if that could be done on a rim not specifically designed for that. and if it would be of help on a bike like this where the hole spacing on the rim is quite wide.

yawstick said:
I just saw something on a bike parts site about some BMX rims that were designed to be cross laced.
wow never seen that on a Bike. But i can say that I had the same thought...I have the spare wheel to try as an exercise.. :wink: .
as said I've never seen bikes laced this way, motorbikes that use that have proper hubs and spokes, though....
What kind of hub you will use for your conversion?...

Mainly just thinking out loud on the cross lacing. I just ran across concept a few days ago. Wondered if anyone had tried it for an application like this.

On this bike I will probably use the stock hub and rim with a chain sprocket in place of the disc brake. Probably going to put an 8085 motor on it with HTD reduction drive. If I tear it up I will look for a better rim and possibly the hub below. The Schwinn that I have does not have a disc brake hub so it would require a disc hub or a hub motor to convert.

Do they make any hub motors wide enough to go on a fat bike.... 170 mm hub spacing? That might be the easiest thing to do on the Schwinn.

I did find this disc brake hub for fat bike.
http://www.jensonusa.com/ORIGIN8-OR8-Fat-Bike-Rear-Hub

I did just buy a 26 inch hub motor from ebay just for grins. It is a 1000 watt 48 volt. It is virtually silent. I put it on an old mountain bike just to get it running. I'll start a new thread on that.
http://electrickride.blogspot.com/

Hey, I'm sorry to repeat that....but....Please don't use the original rear hub axle (or the whole hub) even to pedal, it is butter, figure out with an 80-85 driving the wheel left side....
if you cannot find a proper hub with quality bearings (and it is not so hard these days), than I would consider at least a custom hardened axle....
Cheers

I may indeed make a shaft for it... I just got in some 10mm and 12 mm drill rod... it was a tad oversize or replacing shafts in the motors. At least the 12mm was.... hadnt tried the 10 yet. Just may order some of the heat treatable variety and the precision ground.

An acceptable hub for 170mm spacing and 6bolt mount with sealed bearings (the OR8 is an example) would cost 70-90$.
I would go with something on these lines. found this one on the Bay...http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUN-RINGLE-ABBAH-HUB-WITH-12MM-AXLE-FAT-BIKE-FAT-TIRE-/221570956221?pt=US_Hubs&hash=item3396a87bbd,..I know it is half the price of the whole bike, but wheels are the most important part of a bike, and with that hub the bike will be another one compared to the stock. the BB replacement with a quality one, alloy brake levers, and secondarily, a precision shifter/derailleur, would complete the feeling change from a toy-kid bike to a rolling serious machine, ready to be motorized.

The XD for drumbrake fit perfectly _(in the low end power range), I suspect that drum brake rear hubmotors, could be better adapted to a fat dropout using the threads of the drum to screw on a 6bolt 44pcb adapter for the disc. Using some spacers both side you'll be pretty able to get an usable motor, that's exactly what I have with the XD. A 9-10 speed freewheel is allowed, too ;). The axle should be anyway strong, but i guess any hubmotor has a stronger axle than the stock one :wink: .
Ah, Obviously the drum hub with the adapter could be used for brake rotors but is useless for left driving purposes....

Cheers

Back