Motor Spins backwards..need advice

FastDemise

100 W
Just got a 9c 8x8 laced to a 26" rim. Using a Lyen 6fet controller. I tested the motor using directions I got from ES and found that this worked great.

Controller-Motor
Hall:
YY
GB
BG

Phase
YB
GG
BY

this is what worked and I got the motor spinning up to full speed and everything inbetween with no problems while it was on the bike just to test what wiring setup I needed

Now that the motor is fully assembled that same wiring setup does not work any more. Since the hall sensors are now soldered together I am switching around the phase wires. THe only one that works has the motor spinning backwards and using Lyen's software I can not just reverse it.

Halls:
Same as above**

Phase:
YG
BY
GB

This works but in complete reverse. I don't see anything in the software that will let me just reverse the direction and I tried every other phase combination to no avail. I can visually see the phase wires going from the motor and connecting the wires from the controller so I'm certain the hall sensor wires are correct as per the first set of wiring directions.

Perhaps a really stupid question but I did have both covers off so could I have possibly flipped the rim around and installed the covers on the opposite sides making it work like this?? (North/south on magnets flipped around??)

Wouldn't you know I am having this trouble and I just filled my 6fet controller with mineral oil and did the same to the motor so it will get messy if I have to take apart. Serves me right, haha. :D

Simply swap 2 hall wires, any 2 and only 2. Then find the right combination of phase wires of the remaining 5 for forward. OR Swap 2, any 2, and only 2 phase wires, and then find the right combination of halls of the remaining 5 possible.

Before doing that, make sure you have a valid reverse by measuring no-load current at full throttle. It should be around 2A.

FWIW, if you installed the covers wrong, the wires would now be coming out of the right side.

Let is be a lesson to all. Before disassembling a hubbie, mark both covers and the rotor ring to both get the covers back in the same position but also on the correct side. I used to use 1 and 2 scratches, but painting easily covers it. Now I use a center punch to put 1 dimple in the ring and cover on one side, and 2 dimples in each on the other side.

John

thank you very much. I only have a wattsup meter that I crossed the +/- to so it only shows voltage. :oops: I just not having the greatest memorial weekend. haha

Just listening to it running it's nice a quiet like a normal running motor. I will get right on your advice. Sorry I ended up making such a noob mistake. like jumping in a car with a manual and just throwing it in reverse.

Fixed the 9c ebikes.ca 8x8

Halls:
YY
GG
BB

Phase:
YY
BG
GB

Spin to 28MPH with about 40-50mL of mineral oil.

Thank you again ES for your quick response and helping me get on the road so fast. :) Off to tear up some road.

Back