Motor suspension?

theprodigyp

100 mW
Okay, well I have been pretty busy with work/school and have not done much with my current build but there was a problem that maybe others are having that I have thought of. I know the ABS MBS mountain board trucks do not have any sort of suspension and I was wondering if the upgraded ones made a difference in smoothness with motors? After Everything I have went through and the fact that I have broken 2 motors on 2 separate occasions I am looking to solve this issue. One thing I was thinking is because one of my motors broke because of a difference in the road so a small bump/speed bump broke the shaft when I was going about 15 mph over it. I dont know if anyone has ever had a problem like this and how they solved it? I will just go slower next time but I was also thinking that you could suspend the motors to help compensate for such events? I was thinking along the lines of some type of mount that had springs in it so that when you would go over a bump that the motor could have some room to compensate for the change. I have some sort of idea I just dont know if it would be possible. I think maybe only on a vertical axis it could work but if you did both vertical and horizontal that there wouldnt be a simple design. Does anyone else have some ideas?

sorry to hear this guy..
use motors with 8mm or larger axls these are virtually indestructable..

What motors are you using? Your motors shouldn't brake going over a bump. Unfortunately, adding suspension to a motor mount would cause flex which can easily come loose. The motor mount needs to be fixed and flex with the truck.

Post a picture of your mount.

beto_pty said:
sorry to hear this guy..
use motors with 8mm or larger axls these are virtually indestructable..

Thats what I am using unfortunately... I have 8mm shafts on my 190 kv sk3 motors. It snapped like a twig.

torqueboards said:
What motors are you using? Your motors shouldn't brake going over a bump. Unfortunately, adding suspension to a motor mount would cause flex which can easily come loose. The motor mount needs to be fixed and flex with the truck.

Post a picture of your mount.

SK3's and okay, It was tough. I was only running 1 motor. and I get that. I might still dig into some designs.
image1.JPG
image2.JPG
image3.JPG

Heres the progress and the mounts on the motors that I can get so far. They are 3d printed. These are all I have on hand at the moment to show.

I cant think of any reason that your motor axle snapped...especially being that your motor mounts are 3d printed. Maybe the mounts flex creating stress on your motor shaft?
Did you weld the sprocket to the shaft?

psychotiller said:
I cant think of any reason that your motor axle snapped...especially being that your motor mounts are 3d printed. Maybe the mounts flex creating stress on your motor shaft?
Did you weld the sprocket to the shaft?

That is what I was thinking. They may flex too much. The sprocket isnt welded :/

that is super weird... :shock:
I ride my boards super tough and never had had any motor problems.. specially a snapped shaft...
And you cant be over torquing them cause the 3d printed mount would flex..

If you didn't weld the sprocket to the shaft, I'd seek replacement. That shouldn't be happening.

beto_pty said:
that is super weird... :shock:
I ride my boards super tough and never had had any motor problems.. specially a snapped shaft...
And you cant be over torquing them cause the 3d printed mount would flex..

Right? It may have just been a problem with an alignment issue but after that I havent had any issues. Well, besides the fact that I have figured that my mounts are not strong enough as both of them flexed too much and the bolt holes snapped so I need to design those to be thicker. I might have to add a cross bar to compensate for it.

psychotiller said:
If you didn't weld the sprocket to the shaft, I'd seek replacement. That shouldn't be happening.
Already on it. I replaced that motor and havent had any problems since though my mounts have not stood up to my riding... even though I am only riding streets.

torqueboards said:
I would just go aluminum for your mounts. Those 3D Printed pieces won't be durable enough especially for a motor mount. Drive Wheel Adapters, you can get away with.

Planning on it, I think My first step is to redesign because I dont like the ATS mounts I am thinking I will get the vector ones to be safe and I was actually thinking of getting them milled in Delrin. If those dont work then I will go to aluminium.

psychotiller said:
Why not just go aluminum now?

The mounts I have designed still need some tweeks and certain things cant be milled on them such as the nut chambers that I have included. So once I have some time to design more I will do that, but even after these 3d prints Delrin is still a cheaper alternative unless I plan on making cast aluminum pieces.

My knee pucks are delrin. When it's thick it may work, but it's heavy and still flexible.

theprodigyp said:
torqueboards said:
I would just go aluminum for your mounts. Those 3D Printed pieces won't be durable enough especially for a motor mount. Drive Wheel Adapters, you can get away with.

Planning on it, I think My first step is to redesign because I dont like the ATS mounts I am thinking I will get the vector ones to be safe and I was actually thinking of getting them milled in Delrin. If those dont work then I will go to aluminium.

I heard the vector trucks dot have a good turn radius. Just throwing out there.

psychotiller said:
My knee pucks are delrin. When it's thick it may work, but it's heavy and still flexible.

Agreed. I mean its all worth a shot, but I feel delrin will give the strength and flex that it needs at 1/2 thick.

torqueboards said:
Yeah, I don't see that much of a difference in cost from delrin to aluminum. I would just go aluminum.

ah okay, Ill have to look into it. I think i can get some delrin for free though which in that case I will go that option.

chuttney1 said:
If you have access to a lathe, crafting a replacement shaft should not be much of a problem.

I do, but actually the lathe we have at school is really big and i dont think I could make it, havent used it before

torqueboards said:
Actually, you could even buy a replacement shaft on HK.

I didnt even look at that, damn, well I have already had a new motor after the incident but I guess I can order the shaft and have a motor for some other projects. Is there a way to replace the whole casing? Another motor I have the shaft broke through at the back so I cannot fix that with just a replacement, the shell is busted where the shaft hole is...

Back